• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is French Style to you?

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
..oh and Anglo-French expertise...
504x_air_france_concorde.jpg

F. Corbera

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
A photo from a couple months ago from my favorite cheese shop in Paris, Chez Virginie. She's also a delight.

1138800089_YuAFD-X3.jpg

Things that are both personal and excellent seem a particular talent of the French at their best.

artoftime

Reaction score
Originally Posted by holymadness
This thread is depressing.

George is right about Jeanneret, of course.

You are an elitist among elitists, HM. Consistently among my favorite on the forvm

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by George
Well, I understand that, I like simple spaces too, but I also understand that there are others who don't, there are others who like decoration and ornamentation, that doesn't make them 'fools' or 'degenirate' as was Loos' view, and that's the important point, Le Corbusier wanted to impose his view onto others without considering what they wanted. That's a conceit.

Corb. is a very divisive character, with as many admirers as detractors. Architecturally I put myself squarely in the latter camp.

I agree on the first part. But I kind of like artists that want to impose their esthetic views on the whole world; they should be convinced about and committed to their work, shouldn't they? There are always other authorities and mechanisms that will tame their fire.

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by F. Corbera
A photo from a couple months ago from my favorite cheese shop in Paris, Chez Virginie. She's also a delight.
1138800089_YuAFD-X3.jpg
Things that are both personal and excellent seem a particular talent of the French at their best.

Great photograph and quite delectable looking -- made me hungry.

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NOBD
I agree on the first part. But I kind of like artists that want to impose their esthetic views on the whole world; they should be convinced about and committed to their work, shouldn't they?
Yes, but a building is more than just a piece of art. That's an important distinction.
Originally Posted by NOBD
There are always other authorities and mechanisms that will tame their fire.
You would like to think so, but history tells us otherwise.

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One of Mrs George's favourite shops... Outside:
Caron+Place+Beauvau+04+compr.jpg
Inside for a decant.
364792113_0b8d02ac80_o.jpg
She does insist on the finer things does Mrs George.

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, but a building is more than just a piece of art. That's an important distinction.

I wrote 'esthetic views', because that's the part that I'm interested in, but there are more parts of course (which, admittedly, I'm less interested in).

You would like to think so, but history tells us otherwise.

Let's just say that the world hasn't turned in white concrete.

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

F. Corbera

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by F. Corbera
He actually only built one building in the US (two in the Americas.) I've always liked it:
3391026174_dfc6f835e1.jpg
It defines incongruity, but I welcome it since it is virtually surrounded by neo-Georgian buildings meant to celebrate how excellent was the Brahmin class.

At least he had the good manners not to show up for the opening, unlike his building. How's the roof on that, still leaking?

everybodynobody

Reaction score
I thought the French didn't like Corbu. He wanted to tear down half of Paris and replace it with highways and housing projects. Why he is celebrated as a great architect, I don't know. Buildings don't have to look like housing projects for poor people to be modern:
jfk_airport_wideweb__470x343,0.jpg
100552-004-1FCD0C3E.jpg
x1px1-hrFrerZahFVRvPFChCMrzO_C71wgbkIsTkoe73OMZPQwu6QtIp21LbJngdzBp6IsAy3d0AQleopyDcuvwgXA3CWDclYMyb9OtnH-u7xL76In9qbcUZA

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads