• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is a summer scarf?

oldog/oldtrix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fills in the space between the wife-beater and the trucker jacket for an ever so sophisticated appearance:

maomao1980

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by oldog/oldtrix
Fills in the space between the wife-beater and the trucker jacket for an ever so sophisticated appearance:

definitely girly old man! busted!

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
I just don't get why people need to justify wearing a decorative scarf.

Because they're a conservative, frail and cowardly lot who must always be right so...
ffffuuuu.gif
devil.gif

maomao1980

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
If it's cold enough to wear a scarf, wear a scarf. But I'm not buying this "It's a bit brisk" business. No coat, no scarf.

Linen or translucent cotton scarf? Silly and affected.

Why not ascots? Or a boa?

Linen scarves are fine for what they are, which is a fashion accessory. I think it's a bit affected, but whatever. Some people would consider the Panama I'm sporting today a bit affected. And goodness knows that's not the most affected thing I wear.

As long as the wearer is down with what it is, I see no problem with it. I just think it's silly to try to justify such things by citing feeble utilitarian explanations. Summer scarves will be seen about as often five years from now as they were five years ago, yet men's necks will survive.

I does strike me as a bit funny to see such an overlap between MC and the Urban Outfitters scene. The mall hipsters in their skinny jeans and small-brimmed hats are rocking the summer scarves like crazy.

For those with delicate constitutions, I also recommend panty hose. Keeps the legs warm on those slightly chill days.

I just don't get why people need to justify wearing a decorative scarf. Even the emo kids don't try to pretend their necks are every-so-slightly chilly. And lord knows they're sensitive souls.

Doc, I selected the above quotes to save you time from thinking about it next year when the OP makes another summer scarf thread yet again. Btw, your manliness is duly noted.

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My summary of last year, to be used for the coming years as well.

Originally Posted by NOBD
soit.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by maomao1980
Doc, I selected the above quotes to save you time from thinking about it next year when the OP makes another summer scarf thread yet again. Btw, your manliness is duly noted.

If he does, the excuse will be just as lame then. And I, being a predictable sort, can be counted on to point that out.

I like to think I bring a consistency to the forum, if not insight.

Imperator

Reaction score
If he does, the excuse will be just as lame then. And I, being a predictable sort, can be counted on to point that out.

I like to think I bring a consistency to the forum, if not insight.

It's completely fine to wear spring/summer scarves, but they serve no function, and I'm not sure why anyone would get upset over that.

Tangfastic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When you're working outdoors in the heat wearing a thin piece of cloth soaked in water tied round the neck helps keep you cool. Australians do it = not girly.

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Phat Guido
- legs crossed = CHECK
- fruity PS = CHECK
- girly cotton scarf = CHECK
- finally, peppermint tea in coffee mug = GIRLY MAN

Missing the usual tote. Just sayin.

GuidoWongolini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Wes Bourne
Missing the usual tote. Just sayin.
- no need as MM was with me with his MAN size tote. Big enough for both our Japanese magazines, FooF doll & accessories.. - Just saying..

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Phat Guido
- no need as MM was with me with his MAN size tote. Big enough for both our Japanese magazines, FooF doll & accessories..
- Just saying..

Girly man indeed.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Summer in San Francisco is often cool and windy. In the late afternoon or evening ... as temps drop dramatically ... a scarf can come in handy.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads