• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What headphones do you use?

Petyot

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Artisan Fan
Nice rig! I find the Stax headphones to be the best I have heard overall. Very clear and open sounding. Would like to do some SR-404s at some point.
Thanks. I had the SR-404 before the SR-007. I upgraded to the Omega because I was influenced by the hype about those headphone on Head-fi forum. Honestly, I didn't find a big difference between the two models and certainly nothing (in my opinion) to justify the big price difference. The SR-404 are great headphone and I would consider them again.

Asch

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just got the Denon AHD2000s. The sound is better than that of my previous Grado SR-125s, and, at least as important to me, they are an order of magnitude more comfortable to wear. The build quality seems superior, too. For only $215 online, these headphones suit my needs perfectly.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
I wish I could get sound like this from loudspeakers, but in my echo-chamber apartment, I'd probably have to spend several thousand dollars and many hours of time, and still not get it right. I might try anyway
biggrin.gif

Sprezzatura2010

Reaction score
$215? Wow, they've come down a lot in less than a year. If you want similar clarity of sound from loudspeakers, you need to focus on maximizing direct sound and minimizing reflected sound. In addition to room treatments - think practical, good-looking things such as bookcases - you need speakers with narrow, constant directivity. Earl Geddes (www.gedlee.com) sells probably the most advanced line of such speakers out there. Tannoy's big (10" and up) Dual Concentrics work well, too, though the smaller ones aren't nearly as good. You could also look at pro monitors from JBL and others.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
HD-600s powered by a Musical Fidelity X-CAN2 "rolled" with Russian tubes.

Opermann

Reaction score
Grado SR-80. I used the SR-60 years ago until the headphone pads disintegrated and I accidentally rolled over them in my office chair. These days I'm more careful. The 80s have more detail and bass, but sound worse straight out of my crappy computer soundcard amp than my 60s did. They really need an amp to warm things up, but for the price you can't find a better-sounding headphone.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Opermann
Grado SR-80. I used the SR-60 years ago until the headphone pads disintegrated and I accidentally rolled over them in my office chair. These days I'm more careful. The 80s have more detail and bass, but sound worse straight out of my crappy computer soundcard amp than my 60s did. They really need an amp to warm things up, but for the price you can't find a better-sounding headphone.

If you ever want to upgrade, try the 125s or 225s. I went from the 80s to the 125s and its a bigger step than when I went from the 60s to the 80s. A bit more clarity and smoothness. The new 325is is in another world entirely.

Also, have you tried the extra bass trick but wrapping electrical tape around the perimeter of the bowls?

chenc

Reaction score
Headphones:
Sennheiser HD650 + Stefan AudioArt Equinox
AKG K702 + Moon Audio Black Dragon

Amps:
Luxman P-1 and Meier Corda Symphony

SuSu

Reaction score
Headphones: E500, K701, K1000 (thinking about selling these. sounds great, but super uncomfortable)
AMP/DAC: DAC1

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
Anybody use bluetooth headphones? Was considering picking up a pair for the gym.

I was looking for one of those. Motorola S7 seems to be the popular choice, and can be had for cheap on eBay and such. They don't feel very comfortable on my large head tho.
censored.gif

Hennessy

Reaction score
I have used a pair of Sennheiser HD650 for the last few years. It took a while to break them in and the pairing with amp was difficult, but when everything came together I was really pleased.

Been looking into HD800. Anyone had any experience with those? $1000 seems a bit steep and I guess I would have to throw even more money at a new amp, so the total would really be high. Is it worth it?

Sherman90

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Grado SR-125s over the ears.

Shure SE500PTH in the ears.

The Grados move warm air. The Shures rock socks.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads