• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Has Been the Worst Era for Men's Suits?

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^Yes, there was a lot of awful stuff around in the '70s, but when we are talking about suits (and sport coats) proper there was plenty of decent apparel to be had. You state you were a child then. I was 28 in 1970 and bought some few sport coats and, as I recall, one suit during that decade. (It was tight time for me!)

MrDaniels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Seventies Suit Nightmare:

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Coburn

Reaction score

Seventies Suit Nightmare:

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

I didn't think the seventies were that bad but .... Disco Fiddler on the Roof? You win, I vote the 70s.

Please, no more videos.

MrDaniels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In spite of the video, I am still saying the 90s are still the worst.

RockyTop

Reaction score
Have to go with the polyester leisure suited '70's ...then the double-breasted baggy '90's.

MisterFu

Reaction score
^Yes, there was a lot of awful stuff around in the '70s, but when we are talking about suits (and sport coats) proper there was plenty of decent apparel to be had. You state you were a child then. I was 28 in 1970 and bought some few sport coats and, as I recall, one suit during that decade. (It was tight time for me!)
So, I will absolutely concede that in the 70's the world was still flush with options for well styled, reasonably priced and well made suits and other men's apparel. Not to rehash, but my argument is that the worst styles of the 70's were far worse than anything available today and that those terrible styles were pretty popular. I think perhaps the issue is the general decline of (what I consider) properly dressed men and the subsequent contraction of sources for good apparel. Let's face it, the majority of men, today, dress like slobs. If they can even be bothered to put on a suit, they don't wear a tie. For many, wearing dockers and a button-down shirt is "dressed up". In many places, casual dress has devolved into wife-beaters and sweatpants. Many who are trying to dress well are adopting seriously silly "fashion" trends.

But, for all that is bad today, I do sense that we bottomed out sometime in the mid to late 00's. I see more people making an effort, which is a big improvement. I am seeing fewer corporate-branded denim button down shirts with wrinkled khakis and far more bow-ties, suits, waistcoats and sports coats than I have seen in quite a while (and recently I am noticing this change outside of NYC & London, which leads me to believe this is an increasingly widespread trend). From the success of Suit Supply to my tailor's suddenly resurgent business, there is a small, but not insubstantial renaissance in menswear underway. I'll also say that as much as it bothers my personal aesthetic sense, I'd rather see a 20 something in some goofy TAT outfit than the grunge crap that permeated most of the 90's.

So, is this the worst era for men's suits? IMHO, no, it isn't. We have resurgent interest, improving selection (including whole new options - some good, some not so good) and a lot of interesting competing styles (traditional, conservative, neo-mod, neo-Edwardian, etc.). I'd put the 70's and 90's way ahead of today in the worst era's category.

Just my 2 cents.

Now how about some more pictures of awesome 70's wedding outfits...

Last edited:

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^Well, I just hope you're right. I haven't seen much discernible improvement in "Slovenly California," and most of the suits I see for sale at places like South Coast Plaza are of the undersized, ultra-skinny variety. But, maybe better times are ahead!

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Is this an appropriate thread to suggest tarring and feathering Thom Browne?

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The trendy thing seems to be to bash the 70s and 90s. But I don't like the current trend, too skinny, too short, and too shiny. If one is only slightly built it probably works, no so good if one is more well built or portly.

Last edited:

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wonder if Tom Ford will experience a similar backlash. Slightly longer jacket with a very prominent silhouette + batwing lapels.

And don't forget his defunct Base T model with the flaring trousers.

Count de Monet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

... haha, see the guy taking self shots to post on facebook!! " i look awesome"
lol8%5B1%5D.gif

Yes, nothing like that goes on around here.
smile.gif

As a teenager in the 70's I had a dazzling white three piece suit with not a single natural thread in it. The only down side was the vest hid my wonderful 5" wide, 100% polyester ties except for the baseball sized knot. All of that was anchored by my blue suede monks from the discount shoe store. If you lived it, there is no doubt: The 70's were awful, but in a fun, spectacular way. But awful none the less.

Every other decade is slugging it out for 2nd place.

Last edited:

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^Well, I note that just about all the posts with pix that damn the '70s are either wedding costumes or else showbiz costumes, both of which are generally pretty awful. This is much like using the costumes of the male participants in "Dancing with the Stars" as exemplars of contemporary menswear.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads