• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What happened to Brooks Brothers?

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Regarding the hood, we may see this from Brioni someday, with their programmed development of a "sportswear" line.

There's already plenty of other makers doing Broni sportswear and casualwear on Taobao.

Last edited:

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

There's already plenty of other makers doing Broni sportswear and casualwear on Taobao.

Looks phony as a $3 bill.....

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Looks phony as a $3 bill.....

Yup, it's completely phony, but maybe a vision of Brioni in the future? Just like Armani now.

I'm sure a lot of people who've never seen the real mccoy, probably think that's what Brioni does, heavily branded T-shirts.

I could probably convince some of the local population about $3 bills, many of them will have never actually seen real US currency.

Last edited:

Big T

Reaction score

I saw this today. This looks like something from Abercrombie and Fitch (and not the good years). BB is very popular where I go to school and I can't believe it's degenerated into this. 

Outlet or retail/general merchandise?

Thanks SF (a new me)

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

PopFarmer

Reaction score
Well, I for one agree with OP that BB's style offerings are trending more modern and trendy, I'm sure to match competitors like Abercrombie and Banana Rep. It's still got some traditional offerings geared towards middle-aged conservatives like me, just probably not as many.

I think what is more of a muddy discussion is their overall quality. I suspect several parts of their overall quality is slipping, although some types of articles still seem well-made. I assume their strategy is to push the older, wealthier (and traditional) customers who can afford it into their Country Club/Saxxon/Golden Fleece lines, which are still pretty good quality.

For the younger crowd who is looking for hip, trendy designs and in-your-face colors, they can also introduce those but do so thru lower-cost production means overseas. They're betting that demographic doesn't know or appreciate the quality of construction or fabric, just what it looks like and the price.

Frankie22

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Try-on shirts are a common practice among so-called luxury shops, the ones who sell 100-150 euros shirts, at least in France. The other day, a salesperson yelled at me & gave me a telling-off because I opened and tried six shirts (with the permission of some inferior salesperson). I had to buy two shirts to calm him down.
Regarding the hood, we may see this from Brioni someday, with their programmed development of a "sportswear" line.
Would you want to buy a an expensive piece of clothing if everyone and their brother tried it on? if there is no line -- then there is no line. 6 shirts seems like you might have been pushing it

Last edited:

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

suitedcboy

Reaction score

I saw this today. This looks like something from Abercrombie and Fitch (and not the good years). BB is very popular where I go to school and I can't believe it's degenerated into this. 

I see nothing wrong with Brooks Brothers pursuing the Justin Beiber crowd. They'll have to play dress up one of these days too.

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Would you want to buy a an expensive piece of clothing if everyone and their brother tried it on?

I think unless a garment is sealed in a packet, whatever you see on display in a store could well have been tried on by many people.

You try on a pair of trousers, jackets, sweaters, coats, shirts, shoes, or whatever in the fitting rooms. You find they don't fit you or you don't like them, they go straight back on the hangers or shelves don't they? If you like an item, you go straight to the cashier with garment you tried on. They don't go and get another garment, you're buying the item you tried on.

What happens if a garment is sealed in a packet or you bought it mail order? You try it on at home. If it doesn't fit or whatever, you take it back or send it back. They probably re-package it and it goes back on sale, probably more so if it's an expensive item. They probably won't destroy them.

Last edited:

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Wow. I am honestly speechless. I associate Brooks Brothers with timeless American style.

Isn't the hoodie timeless American style? That's why I posted the classic Stallone "Rocky Balboa" picture earlier. Anyone remember the hoodie and varsity jacket wearing Georgetown priest from The Exorcist(1973)?

Trendy is not their game and this really disappoints me that they would try to go down this route. The quality has gone down in the construction in recent years, although they still use very good fabrics (Zegna, Loro Piana, Red & Lawson).

BB is probably doing what it needs to do to stay in business in a modern world.

In the UK, there used to be famous menswear retailer called Dunn & Co, their style was always traditional and not trendy. I always thought of them as an old man's shop. They're no longer in business. Aquascutum collapsed recently, I always thought they where traditional and conservative. BB's former owner, Marks & Spencer "resident of Britain department store", was always rather traditional and untrendy, they had to change.

Last edited:

Jackie Treehorn

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
BB is probably doing what it needs to do to stay in business in a modern world.

This.

We may not like it, but perhaps the majority of professionals in the developed world no longer wear suits (or even jackets) to work these days. Nor do they choose to get dressed up when going out, on weekends, or in any other situations beyond weddings and funerals. The suit is dying, albeit slowly. The hoodie is becoming acceptable business attire in some industries -- especially the tech industry, which happens to be one of the only industries in the US that's doing phenomenally well right now, and whose employees have stable, secure jobs (and lots of disposable income to spend on, among other things, clothing). And it's certainly supplanted, say, the sport coat as popular casual and weekend attire.

This is the world in which we live. Brooks Brothers didn't create this world. But Brooks Brothers finds itself in this world, just the same as we do. We can dress as anachronistically as we want to, but then, we're not trying to earn a profit by selling clothing to the masses.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads