What happened to Brooks Brothers?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by jshastings, Jul 11, 2012.

1. jshastings

jshastings Well-Known Member

I saw this today. This looks like something from Abercrombie and Fitch (and not the good years). BB is very popular where I go to school and I can't believe it's degenerated into this.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 11, 2012

2. jcb9

jcb9 Senior member

3. lee_44106

lee_44106 Senior member

survival, finding new market/customers.

If every store just cater to those who remember the good ol' days, then it'll go the way of the dinosaur.

4. furo

furo Senior member

op, tragic indeed but notsureifserious

as a side note, I was in a BB store last weekend and I'm trying on a shirt when the SA walks by and says "hey, no opening up the shirts from the packaging, you can't do that, sorry... we have some try-on shirts in the back."

I was blown away.

5. jshastings

I completely understand about accessing a broader range of clientele, but I never expected BB to try to share market share with Abercrombie and Fitch...

ps. what about the original post seemed insincere?

6. Archivist

Archivist Senior member

First, it was bought by a Limey department store. Then it was bought by Italians. They have become desperate to compete with Old Navy.

7. morrison13

morrison13 Well-Known Member

Quite surprising and a bit sad. BB is probably the last brand I would think of If I ever needed a hoodie!

8. jcb9

jcb9 Senior member

This has been discussed before, and I fail to see the correlation between selling a hoodie and the quality of their clothing. Just because they start to offer (still not sure if this is actually true or not - could find no trace on their website) more casual clothing does not mean that their other lines are of lesser quality. Gucci makes track jackets and sells them for $700. If BB can make a hoodie of nice fabric and construction and sell it for $100 then good on them. That's smart business. Only a complete fool would avoid the brand because of something like this.

9. MikeDT

MikeDT Senior member

Brooks Brotha.... there goes the neighbourhood.

Perhaps BB finally caught up with the 1970s?
    [​IMG]

10. jshastings

Quote: Look under "New Arrivals." There are polos that are equally old-navy-esque.

To be sure, I don't mean to comment on the quality of the clothes. I have no doubt that it's a well made hoodie, but the gauche branding is something that I thought was unusual for BB and more akin to the lower-quality/high-margin brands that rely on giant logos to sell.

11. jcb9

jcb9 Senior member

Agree to disagree I suppose. Not an issue for me.

12. Chrenetique

Chrenetique Senior member

Try-on shirts are a common practice among so-called luxury shops, the ones who sell 100-150 euros shirts, at least in France. The other day, a salesperson yelled at me & gave me a telling-off because I opened and tried six shirts (with the permission of some inferior salesperson). I had to buy two shirts to calm him down.

Regarding the hood, we may see this from Brioni someday, with their programmed development of a "sportswear" line.

13. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Senior member

I have an old green and navy striped BB Rugby shirt that has a giant 'B' on the back. It doesn't bother me at all but I have to come up with creative answers whenever people ask me what the giant 'B' stands for. My top 3 responses are Brilliant, Broke or Busy.

14. Chrenetique

Chrenetique Senior member

Booyakasha?

15. Flake

Flake Senior member

Wow. Can't try on the shirt I actually want to purchase to be sure the fit is good = can't take the plastic out of the wallet. No sale.

I would have been tempted to ask for scissors, then cut my BB card in two in front of the guy. I haven't been in a BB in a while. Guess I won't be going any time soon if that's where they are going.