• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What gym do you go to? And how much are you paying?

jgold47

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I started out a community rec center, but it was 50 a year, and got you access to 7 different centers in the city, each was a little different. Then I got the bright idea to join Golds because It hought I could use the change, I went up to about 40 a month with a discount from work, but I didnt feel as comfortbale using it. I have been at fitness 19 in 2 different cities for the last 16 months, and I really like it. I think the smaller gyms are where its at. I dont need to pay 60 a month for lifetime or golds, 10lbs is still 10lbs, I want a place thats not crowded, clean, and has the equipment I am looking for....

JoeWoah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Man, WTF! DC gyms suck, price-wise... and yes I did shop around. I pay $84 per month at Vida Fitness at the Verizon Center. They waived the sign-up fee because I was leaving WSC, which sucks.

likeitaloud

Reaction score
Guys how important is location for you? Do you always choose a gym in the 15min walking radius or are you find with driving/taking the transit to get there.

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Christ, Canada is expensive. I pay $75 per month to access my gym's downtown branches. I can also access other branches in the city but I technically don't get racquet court access (I use them anyway), and the pools are all only open in the summer.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I go to a local Synergy 24hr gym. Paid $400/yr + 1 free month. It's great.

brandall10

Reaction score
I've been to various gyms over the years... on a scale of 1-10 satisfaction, all around san diego area.

1) Local mom&pop by my highschool in the early 90s... IIRC $15/mo - 5 (cool scene here, old-school bodybuilders)
2) Frogs (early 90s) - $30/mo - 5 (higher end but less character)
3) RIMAC gym @ UCSD while in college, mid-late 90s - FREE with admission - 3 (good for a school gym)
4) Ballys Mira Mesa... $? - 2 (big but lame otherwise)
5) Ballys Mission Valley... same - 4 (a bit cooler, mom&poppish)
6) LA Fitness Encinitas... $37 - 2 (just like BMM)
7) Pure downtown... $55 - 6 (another mom&pop place, great view of the city. pricey for what it is but I'll call that the downtown tax)
8) Fit downtown... $60 - 9 (this place is _amazing_... total dream gym. Only thing holding it back from top spot is maybe having a rock climbing wall/racquetball... but they have mixed martial arts training, crossfit type stuff, all types of yoga/spin. fwiw I got in on early bird half-price thing. Also it's across the street from my loft. At $120 I'd probably give is a 7)

jkw

Reaction score
are you serious?!? Why are the gyms so freakin expensive over here.
My student "discount rate" is £60 a month! Adults pay something like 90-100

JoeWoah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by likeitaloud
Guys how important is location for you? Do you always choose a gym in the 15min walking radius or are you find with driving/taking the transit to get there.
It's pretty important to me. If it's too far than it's too easy to talk yourself out of going. Not enough time to go, can't find parking (if you have to drive), too far, I'm tired, It's closing soon so by the time I get there...I'll go tomorrow early... blah, blah, blah. I should say that Washington Sports Club is a cheaper option that is decent in DC, but I went for 3 years without paying and don't think I should ever set foot in there again. Not my fault I signed up on a day when the computers were down. It's also not my job to keep track of it. They changed to different color cards last year and that was my cue to leave.

JoeWoah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

hadamulletonce

Reaction score
$23.00 is a great price for any decent gym. I wouldn't say 24 hour fitness is a lower quality than LA Fitness, it all depends on the location. I have both clubs within a mile. LA fitness looks better but the equipment layout is terrible, people stepping all over each other. The 24 hour fitness has far more equipment and it's easier to move around.

fox in sox

Reaction score
$20/year for 24 Hour - for that price, I don't mind dealing with the inconveniences/peeves people associate with corporate gyms.

Davidko19

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OP- Your place sounds pretty reasonable for the cost.

I got a deal through an ex's work and pay $8/month for 24 hour fitness. We havent dated in 3 years but Im still on that offer. The 24 hour that i go to is a piece of crap though. One of the worst gyms Ive seen.

My buddy in phoenix has a gym with all the bells and whistles and pays $90/month!

Lucky7

Reaction score
LA Fitness. $30 a month. The equipment is nice, but I don't use the machines. I don't really pay attention to the foo foo bullshit, I'm just there for a good workout.

Xericx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lucky7
LA Fitness. $30 a month. The equipment is nice, but I don't use the machines. I don't really pay attention to the foo foo bullshit, I'm just there for a good workout.

I pay $9 for LA Fitness, all clubs too.

Might try Equinox though, so I see hot bitches at teh gym.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads