• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

what do you think of these suits?

sublime323

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I'm getting ready for a season of interviews for medical residency programs and was hoping to find a good suit around the $400ish range and willing to spend up to $600 don't really want to spend that much.

I'm looking for a dark navy or a gray/charcoal suit. Obviously whatever I get the most important thing will be do get it altered so that is fits properly. I'm a 42R, 5'11", and ~190lbs. I've been looking at these suits and was wondering what you guys thought or had any other suggestions on places to look?

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/la...mily~size;42/colorfamily~blue/&colorFamily=01

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/la...blue,grey/sizefamily~length;r/&colorFamily=02

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/ja...blue,grey/sizefamily~length;r/&colorFamily=01

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/co...blue,grey/sizefamily~length;r/&colorFamily=01

I need to get one relatively quickly because I'll need to have it finished being altered by August 30th. Thanks in advance!

dreamspace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lauren (by RL) as a brand isn't much to write home about. Cheap suits made on RL licence, so you're paying a good share just for the Lauren name.

As for quality, don't expect too much. It's a cheap brand, Ralph Laurens "Trash" brand as other will call it.

A lot of people here will probably say something in the line of
"Go to the Buy and Sell section, much better deals"
"Go buy a quality suit on sale"
etc.

Since you're in a tight spot as far as time goes, I'd suggest that you go (if you can) in person and try out some suits in stores. I'm not sure where you're located, so I can't give you specific store names.

(If you NEED to have it by 30th, I'd skip hunting after one in the B&S section. 22 days just isn't enough time to 1. Find a staple suit in that size 2. Get it shipped 3. Have it altered, just saying before others start to preach that idea...hell, even buying a suit on Ebay or webstores can be risky in that short time)

NORE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hello everyone,

I'm getting ready for a season of interviews for medical residency programs and was hoping to find a good suit around the $400ish range and willing to spend up to $600 don't really want to spend that much.

I'm looking for a dark navy or a gray/charcoal suit. Obviously whatever I get the most important thing will be do get it altered so that is fits properly. I'm a 42R, 5'11", and ~190lbs. I've been looking at these suits and was wondering what you guys thought or had any other suggestions on places to look?

I need to get one relatively quickly because I'll need to have it finished being altered by August 30th. Thanks in advance!

Those Lauren suits might be just what the doc ordered taking into consideration your time constraints and size. STP has a great return policy and you can find coupons to save even more off the listed prices.

sturm07

Reaction score
If you know your measures, you can go on eBay. For the amount of money you are ready to spend on a Lauren By RL suit, you can easily get a Hickey Freeman or Armani Collezioni or Canali or Corneliani suit.

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

If you know your measures, you can go on eBay. For the amount of money you are ready to spend on a Lauren By RL suit, you can easily get a Hickey Freeman or Armani Collezioni or Canali or Corneliani suit.

yeah right.

At $240, whatever suit from those brands will either be well worn, or in some hideous pattern.

a staple navy 42r Corneliani at $240?

Further, STP has a 25% of sale.

LRL is hardly a high quality garment, but if you get it in the right size, get it nipped and tucked by a tailor, and pair it with decent shoes, you will be better dressed than probably 85% of your peers.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads