• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What do you guys want?

dtmt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think really slim linen pants would look weird. Personally I would choose a regular fit with a fairly straight leg and medium rise. And drawstrings.

+1 on the slim fit dress shirts, but they definitely have to be tapered. Most slim fit shirts available now are still pretty boxy, it's just like a more narrow rectangle.

Also, how about a "dressy" hoodie, in some kind of wool blend or lambswool? More of a hooded sweater than athletic wear.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah, good call on a wool hoodie. I forgot how hard I was searching for one of those, and just gave up. I'd like one that zipped up high (if you designed the hood opening right, so the zipper didn't scratch your face, maybe it could zip all the way closed, for an interesting detail). And having the handwarmer pockets be unobtrusive would be nice.

Saucemaster

Sized Down 2
Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
Yeah, good call on a wool hoodie. I forgot how hard I was searching for one of those, and just gave up. I'd like one that zipped up high (if you designed the hood opening right, so the zipper didn't scratch your face, maybe it could zip all the way closed, for an interesting detail). And having the handwarmer pockets be unobtrusive would be nice.
+1 on all those details, and I'd add that it'd be nice if it was double-zip. Extra slim arms for extra credit, too! I also +1 the earlier comments re: short-sleeved linen shirts for summer, and slim-fitting button-fronts in general.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Saucemaster
+1 on all those details, and I'd add that it'd be nice if it was double-zip. Extra slim arms for extra credit, too!

I also +1 the earlier comments re: short-sleeved linen shirts for summer, and slim-fitting button-fronts in general.

Yeah, I should have mentioned the double zip, but I want that on everything.

BTW, linen long sleeve western shirts would be really cool, esp. in indigo and black. I've wanted a good black western shirt for a long time and I can't find anywhere locally that sells Rockmount, which is the one I want. I may end up ordering one from them but the mens are regular fit, not slim fit. Anyway, I don't think it would be too cool to rip off their signature sawtooth pocket design, but something similar might be cool... in fact, a shirt pocket that resembles the sawteeth on a circular saw blade would be a fresh but reverent homage to the makers of the original western shirt, since they call their pocket design 'sawtooth'.

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by michaeljkrell
Under $40 is pushing it. We can slim fit jersey knit polos for about $45...
I'll probably pass on those but I imagine lots of people would buy them.

ts4them

Reaction score
A simpler version of your racing jacket (no chest pockets), preferably with silver snaps and zippers. Hoodies that have a hood w/o a point on top
smile.gif

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I would also dig a simple racing jacket, though I have a design formulating in my mind for what would be a great modern car coat. Basically a waist length jacket with a standup collar, with at least a couple pockets that you can reach while sitting in a seatbelt. The pockets could be hidden though, so that only the opening is on the outside, keeping it simple looking.

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Man, there is some definite group-think going on here. I'm hearing the very things I've been looking for. Especially linen or linen/cotton pants. I think they would be coolest if they were cut as jeans. And a regular fit - linen is not going to stretch like denim so a slim fit will not be comfortable. Linen camp or safari shirts are another thing I'm always looking for. And western shirts. I also think you would do well with a simple version of your racer jacket, and a shawl collar version of your new fleece hoodies.

bob

Reaction score
I'll second a reasonably slim fit linen trouser with a medium rise. Not as slim as i want my jeans to be, so as not to look effeminate as other posters have mentioned. Hope this gets produced in time for summer.

michaeljkrell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Colby is actually going to be taking some "vacation" time for work in the next couple of weeks. So he will have a full week to work on a lot of these new items. I'm thinking we can have things ready to go before May. I just have to work on getting the fabric he needs.

Another question. What kind of price are you guys looking for with the linen pants. It would help in determining the fabric choice. I can get some really nice 100% hemp linen and some really cool hemp/yak wool hair fabric, but it is pretty pricey. If I get a roll of either, I can get a pretty good discount, but a price range would help...

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
What's hemp linen? I thought hemp was like, you know, mary jane and linen was from flax... different plant. Also, they behave somewhat differently.

Personally, I would probably use linen/cotton blend fabric because it won't get so rumply so fast, but that's just my own preference.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads