• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What do you guys think of these shoes?

onhcetum

Reaction score
Hey guys, I've recently been really self-conscious about my look. I just need a little help. How do you guys think of these shoes? These will be the shoes I will wear mostly (of course, I have a pair of dress shoes for special occasions and a pair of tennis shoes for sports). Will they go well with my style? (They're dark brown if you can't tell.) I was thinking of more of a lighter brown/tan, what do you guys think? Can you match brown shoes with light blue jeans? http://www.instepshoestore.com/data/...1167430629-977 I'm mostly a T-shirt and jeans/khaki kind of guy. I wear mostly straight-fit jeans... and shop at American Eagle, A&F, H&M, Banana Republic, Express, and Armani Exchange. These are some outfits that I would wear... http://www.gap.com/Asset_Archive/GPW...8-05p01v01.jpg http://www.gap.com/Asset_Archive/GPW...7-00p01v01.jpg And what about Vans slip-ons http://ruggedsole.com/goods/images/2...084318cont.jpg -- is that a yay or nay? Thank you!

Saul Silver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
nay on both.

if you're looking for some quality cheap sneakers, look at chucks/jack purcells/stan smiths, etc. If you're going to get some vans get them in something else than brown.

Also, if you're self-conscious about your look, stop shopping at A&F/American Eagle/Armani Exchange.

Makeshift_Robot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Vans, in any color, with jeans and a t-shirt from Gap/AX/etc. is one of those thing where it won't ever look too good, but at the same time it's pretty hard to screw up as long as you can match colors and you know your size.

Wazmo

Reaction score
I have to agree with Makeshift_Robot. It is really hard to mess that look up since people have been doing it forever and it is not a look that has much of an outlet to be original. The Vans and slim fit chino or jean is a high school look in my eyes, but one that many non-scholastic people pull off daily.

To help get you on the right track try stopping in at J.Crew every now and then and see what they have in stock. They have had some pretty interesting pieces lately and with patience you will find the right ones to round off your look with better quality than the other retailers you mentioned.

Good luck!!

GraphicNovelty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
General way to use SF:

First things first, answer the question: Do you want to simply look "fine" (go to 1) or do you want to make clothing/style a "passion" and use SF as a tool for that (go to 2)
1) Find some slim fitting basics (H&M/Uniqlo is the best for this. Hanes t-shirts and Levi's Shrink To Fits are the cheapest option) and figure out how to match color. Try and stay away from pre-faded jeans, printed T-shirts, logos, and ugly pumas/diesel sneakers. Hit the gym. You might look generic, but you won't look bad by any means.
2) Look at the WAYWT thread and look at what you like from people on there. Lurk more, use the stickies for information about specific subjects. Don't get sticker shock. Don't let the forum regulars get you down because they like being assholes for some reason. Shop without buying at various department stores/boutiques to figure out what you like and invest in fewer, quality pieces.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads