• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What did you eat last night for dinner?

ts4them

Reaction score
I broiled flounder in a lemon-soy vinagrette, served with crusty bread and salad with Annie's Shitake and Sesame dressing.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Tokyo Slim special pizza.

Beer batter crust
garlic cream sauce
100% whole milk mozzarella
extremely thin sliced italian cured salami
liberal sprinkling of bacon crumbles
pitted and sliced black olives
cashew halves

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
Tokyo Slim special pizza.

Beer batter crust
garlic cream sauce
100% whole milk mozzarella
extremely thin sliced italian cured salami
liberal sprinkling of bacon crumbles
pitted and sliced black olives
cashew halves

Sounds tasty. I love these kinds of pizzas. You make your own dough?

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Grilled lemon-pepper chicken breasts
grilled asparagus
grilled butternut squash with soy-maple glaze

first time cooking squash and it turned out great!

Dmax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Marinated and pan-grilled hanger steak,

Potatoes baked with saffron and cream,

Collard greens with bacon drippings .

hi-val

Reaction score
Asparagus with Hollandaise sauce! Yum!

Leftover sauce goes on poached eggs in the mornings.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Fish and brewis.

I'll let the wiki describe it:

"Fish and brewis (pronounced like the word "bruise") is a traditional Newfoundland meal consisting of codfish and hard bread or hard tack. With the abundance of cod around the coasts of Newfoundland and Labrador it became synonymous with all Newfoundland households as a delicacy to be served as a main meal.

The recipe may vary from community to community or even household to household but, the ingredients were always the same. The typical recipe called for salt fish that required to be soaked in water overnight to reduce the salt content of the fish. The hard bread was broken in to bite size pieces and it too was also put in water overnight for soaking. Next day the fish and hard bread are boiled separately until tender then both are mixed together and cooked together for final preparation.

The traditional meal is served with scrunchions [2], salted fat pork which has been cut into small pieces and fried. Both the rendered fat and the liquid fat is then drizzled over the mixture of fish and hard bread."

lefty

ts4them

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dmax
Marinated and pan-grilled hanger steak,

Potatoes baked with saffron and cream,

Wow, that all sounds AMAZING! Details on everything, please! I've been meaning to go pick up some saffron since I've never used it, does it keep well?

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ts4them
Wow, that all sounds AMAZING! Details on everything, please! I've been meaning to go pick up some saffron since I've never used it, does it keep well?

It keeps well (if you keep it in a closed jar in a dark place) but it's fairly expensive as spices go, so you'd be better off buying some when you're ready to try it than buying it and forgetting about it in the back of the pantry.

Dmax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ts4them

Ok. Hanger steak is actually one of my favorite cuts of beef: it is flavorful, having a bit of kidney flavor owing to its location, inexpensive, and quick to prepare. The only disadvantage is that it may be hard to find in the US, not being too well known or popular, but if there was a ever a Styleforum type cut of beef, hanger steak would be it. I have access to some great markets and last week I got a few Prime grade hanger steaks for about $5/pound.

My recipe: Take a few hanger steaks, wash, remove any extra fat or gristle and pat dry. Put into a large ziplock baggie and add a few cloves of chopped garlic and some olive oil to the bag, distributing the garlic through the bag evenly. Put into your fridge to marinate for a couple of hours.
Remove steak from the marinade and clean off any stuck-on garlic. Lay on a plate and salt and pepper both sides (some people don't like to apply salt before cooking and add it later, you can experiment and decide what you like best).

Brush a cast iron ridged grill pan with a little oil (I like to use grape seed oil due to high smoke point) and heat the pan until very hot. Grill the steak 3-4 minutes per side for rare. As an alternative you can fry the steak on one side and finish the other side under a broiler. An outdoor grill works well also. Remove the steak and add more salt and pepper if you like. Let the steak sit 10 minutes then cut across the grain and enjoy.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DarkNWorn
Sounds tasty. I love these kinds of pizzas. You make your own dough?

I can, but its a lot of work to make dough the way I like it. I just order from a local place that knows how I like my 'za.

Dmax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Re: Saffron. I usually buy a bit at a time whenever I see it offered inexpensively. Try to buy whole threads as opposed to Saffron powder. When used in a recipe, the saffron threads usually need to be crushed and soaked in some sort of liquid for best flavor.

As requested, Baked potatoes with saffron and cream recipe.

Take 2 pounds of potatoes, peel and cut into approx. 1.5 inch pieces. Bring a large saucepan of lightly salted water to a boil over high heat. Add potatoes and cook until half done about 10 minutes or so. Drain the potatoes. Lightly butter a baking dish (I have two smaller dishes I use) and place the potatoes in a single layer. Preheat the oven to 350f.

In a small to medium saucepan combine 1 cup milk, 1 cup heavy cream, 2 minced cloves of garlic, 1/4 tsp salt and 1/2 to 1 teaspoon crushed and torn saffron threads. Bring to a simmer, remove from heat and let stand 5 minutes so the saffron infuses the mixture. Pour evenly over the potatoes.
Bake until the potatoes are tender when pierced with a tip of a sharp knife and the cream has thickened, about 30 minutes. Sprinkle with freshly ground pepper and chopped chives for garnish before serving.

This recipe goes well with the hanger steak above.
smile.gif

ts4them

Reaction score
^^thanks, I'll give it a try this weekend, should go perfectly with the freezing weather here.

PS-thanks for the tip on grapeseed oil, I'll try it

whallyden

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dmax

Bravo! An excellent use of pork fat.

BTW, do you segregate and store drippings, or had you rendered some bacon that day?

I remember, "The Two Fat Ladies" (when it was still on the air) saving goose fat to spread on toast.

Dmax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whallyden
Bravo! An excellent use of pork fat.

BTW, do you segregate and store drippings, or had you rendered some bacon that day?

I remember, "The Two Fat Ladies" (when it was still on the air) saving goose fat to spread on toast.

mmm...bacon.

I actually had an open package of bacon that I had to use. I intended to mix the bacon with the collard greens but we ended up snacking on it while cooking so I just used the drippings. My wife walked into the kitchen and went: "Ooh bacon, can I have some?" No one can resist bacon.

I store duck fat and goose fat in the fridge whenever I can. It's the best thing to fry or bake potatoes with, besides bacon of course.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads