• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What did you eat last night for dinner?

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Roasted turkey, lettuce, tomato, cheddar, oil & vinegar on wheat sub roll
Nathan's hot dog
Mashed potatoes

Mmmmmmm.

Brian278

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dmax
mmm...bacon. I actually had an open package of bacon that I had to use. I intended to mix the bacon with the collard greens but we ended up snacking on it while cooking so I just used the drippings. My wife walked into the kitchen and went: "Ooh bacon, can I have some?" No one can resist bacon. I store duck fat and goose fat in the fridge whenever I can. It's the best thing to fry or bake potatoes with, besides bacon of course.
How do you bake a potato with duck or goose fat? I'm intrigued, in the way that I am always looking for places to pack more grease into my diet.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian278
How do you bake a potato with duck or goose fat? I'm intrigued, in the way that I am always looking for places to pack more grease into my diet.

The real question is: where do I get me some goose fat? Pork fat is abundant, duck fat isn't hard to come buy, but I've no idea where goose fat can be had. Do you actually roast geese regularly so you can save the drippings?

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Philly cheese steak w/ roasted peppers
Two baked potatoes with shredded cheddar and bacon bits
Slice of carrot cake. It was delicious.
Assorted fruit

Dmax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian278

I smother some on when baking potatoes spread out on a flat baking sheet (cut in half lenghtwise, scrubbed but skin left on). Potatoes get nice and crispy skin all around but care must be taken not to dry them out while baking. You can continue to baste them with the fat every 10 minutes or so.

Should be easy to use goose fat in other recipes also. I read somewhere that goose fat is one of the healthiest animal fats with regard to cholesterol, FWIW.

Originally Posted by DarkNWorn
The real question is: where do I get me some goose fat? Pork fat is abundant, duck fat isn't hard to come buy, but I've no idea where goose fat can be had. Do you actually roast geese regularly so you can save the drippings?

I am lucky to have access to Fairway market that carries it. Last time I actually used leftover fat from a can of foie gras d'oie
inlove.gif

I think Dean and Deluca (another NYC market) carries it as well.

I have not tried roasting a goose yet (heard it was a lot of trouble for little meat), but when I roast a duck I try to save the drippings for later.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
for many of the ingredients in the past few pages (saffron, goosefat), your best bet is www.polaricausa.com. The prices are much lower than you will find anywhere else. All of the restaurants in San Francisco use them, and their customer service is quite good. We have used them for years. As for goose fat as a cooking product, we have a house in the major Foie Gras region of France and goose fat is, indeed, widely used and very, very good. It is especially good for cooking shellfish.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Made leek and potato soup tonight, with a slight twist. It includes a bit of rendered bacon fat, leek, garlic, baby bello mushroom, butter potato, chicken stock, and salt & pepper to taste. Cook everything until tender, then put in blender and blend until a smooth consistency. Add back into the pot, then add cream to your taste. Crumple the bacon made earlier on top. Eat.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Made leek and potato soup tonight, with a slight twist. It includes a bit of rendered bacon fat, leek, garlic, baby bello mushroom, butter potato, chicken stock, and salt & pepper to taste. Cook everything until tender, then put in blender and blend until a smooth consistency. Add back into the pot, then add cream to your taste. Crumple the bacon made earlier on top. Eat.
Did you get this all at Wegman's?
laugh.gif

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
Did you get this all at Wegman's?
laugh.gif

Haha...Actually, yes. I was shopping for dinner the other night and saw that they had some excellent leeks--and it was snowing outside. Where were you at 5-6pm on Tuesday?
patch[1].gif

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Haha...Actually, yes. I was shopping for dinner the other night and saw that they had some excellent leeks--and it was snowing outside. Where were you at 5-6pm on Tuesday?
patch[1].gif

peepwall[1].gif
Sadly not in Wegman's. You know, I don't think I've been there once this semester. I generally go to the one in the B'ville area but I've been known to hit the ones in North Syracuse as well.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
peepwall[1].gif
Sadly not in Wegman's. You know, I don't think I've been there once this semester. I generally go to the one in the B'ville area but I've been known to hit the ones in North Syracuse as well.

I never go to that one. The one out in Fayetteville has way better selections. This place is bar none the best supermarket I've ever seen. You can find anything from some galangal for Thai curry, to $1500/lb black truffles in a locked case in the veggie section.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I never go to that one. The one out in Fayetteville has way better selections. This place is bar none the best supermarket I've ever seen. You can find anything from some galangal for Thai curry, to $1500/lb black truffles in a locked case in the veggie section.
Wow I had no idea. Next time I'm in Syracuse I'll try to check it out.

Montresor

Reaction score
Down-home cooking.....

Homemade shepherd's pie -- mashed potatoes, ground hamburg, cream corn, bit of shredded cheddar baked into the top. Tremendous.

Homemade brownies for dessert -- the recipe on the back of the Baker's chocolate squares box is actually quite good.

cold glass of milk with the brownies (but of course)

eg1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lefty
Fish and brewis.

I'll let the wiki describe it:

"Fish and brewis (pronounced like the word "bruise") is a traditional Newfoundland meal consisting of codfish and hard bread or hard tack. With the abundance of cod around the coasts of Newfoundland and Labrador it became synonymous with all Newfoundland households as a delicacy to be served as a main meal.

The recipe may vary from community to community or even household to household but, the ingredients were always the same. The typical recipe called for salt fish that required to be soaked in water overnight to reduce the salt content of the fish. The hard bread was broken in to bite size pieces and it too was also put in water overnight for soaking. Next day the fish and hard bread are boiled separately until tender then both are mixed together and cooked together for final preparation.

The traditional meal is served with scrunchions [2], salted fat pork which has been cut into small pieces and fried. Both the rendered fat and the liquid fat is then drizzled over the mixture of fish and hard bread."

lefty

You like it, the bacalhau? With screech, perhaps?

Originally Posted by Dmax
Ok. Hanger steak is actually one of my favorite cuts of beef: it is flavorful, having a bit of kidney flavor owing to its location, inexpensive, and quick to prepare. The only disadvantage is that it may be hard to find in the US, not being too well known or popular, but if there was a ever a Styleforum type cut of beef, hanger steak would be it. I have access to some great markets and last week I got a few Prime grade hanger steaks for about $5/pound.

I've only ever had hangar steak boiled. When I worked one summer in the "blast freezer" (a small room with massive chillers designed to freeze offal in a matter of hours) at a slaughterhouse, the little Portuguese guys packing the offal just off the Beef Kill would boil bits of hangar steak in the hot water baths used to clean their knives -- not bad with a little salt from dry storage upstairs.
thumbs-up.gif

Originally Posted by whallyden
Bravo! An excellent use of pork fat.

I remember, "The Two Fat Ladies" (when it was still on the air) saving goose fat to spread on toast.

Mmmm, pork fat ...
drool.gif

"Two Fat Ladies"!
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Lucky Strike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My fiancÃ
00a9.png
e had drink and dinner ready when I came home from the airport late on V-day:
DSC02552.jpg
DSC02553.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads