• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What did you eat last night for dinner?

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Matts first dish looks like it has dumplings or something stuffed, ravioli like, in brodo. I like the actual bowl/plate you used for this

I'm a little confused. Are you guys saying the third plate is a soup? Doesn't look that way to me.

Yeah, it is a kind of take on onion soup, but lighter. The broth is basically onion soup with a little ginger and coriander, and the ravioli have a cheese sauce that becomes liquid when it gets hot. The cheese on the side is like the traditional top of an onion soup. Not to toot my own horn, but it was one of the more delicious things I've ever eaten.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
that soup sounds awesome. The next thing I want to cook at home is a recreation of this Robuchon soup I had, that had little ravioli like that, filled with foie. The soup itself was brown chicken stock with tamarind flavor, tomato diamonds, and a generous chiffonade of raw butter lettuce floating on top.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i think the salmon dish is mostly a reminder of how tastes change ... and strictly because of fashion. when the brothers troisgros did that in the late 60s (i'm assuming that's salmon in sorrel, no? if not just made a big fool of myself), that was a revolutionary plate because of its simplicity. today, the current fashion is more for plates arranged like table scraps meet ikebana (and i mean that in a nice way, mostly). either can taste good, if it's well prepared, but the first strikes us as "soup". i wonder what people would think of an actual recreation of a point dish?

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

i think the salmon dish is mostly a reminder of how tastes change ... and strictly because of fashion. when the brothers troisgros did that in the late 60s (i'm assuming that's salmon in sorrel, no? if not just made a big fool of myself), that was a revolutionary plate because of its simplicity. today, the current fashion is more for plates arranged like table scraps meet ikebana (and i mean that in a nice way, mostly). either can taste good, if it's well prepared, but the first strikes us as "soup". i wonder what people would think of an actual recreation of a point dish?

Exactly. It is really a wonderful dish. IIRC, Michel Troisgros tried to modernize it a few years ago, and then decided it was kind of blasphemy to do so. Really a great dish flavor wise, and I find it beautiful as well. It does help to have sauce spoons.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Exactly. It is really a wonderful dish. IIRC, Michel Troisgros tried to modernize it a few years ago, and then decided it was kind of blasphemy to do so. Really a great dish flavor wise, and I find it beautiful as well. It does help to have sauce spoons.

i've always wanted to get someone to go back and try to reproduce food from different periods, done on a very high level, and see what they were like. years ago michel richard recreated an amazing construction by careme. it was dazzling to look at ... tons of spun sugar balls, imprinted sugar plates, etc. ... flavor was not so much. Keller is a huge fan of fernand point, and i tried to get him to do a point menu once, but he insisted that the point of point was not to be replicating someone else's food. still think it would be interesting.

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
My lady's employee and her roommate had us over for a dinner party. The girls are 23, so a dinner party meant us and about 19 of their closest friends, who were all talking about how nice and small it was for a dinner party. Anyways, the food was excellent, and all southern (they are from South Carolina). I thought I would mention it for MGM, in order to help him look down (south).

Last edited:

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score

i've always wanted to get someone to go back and try to reproduce food from different periods, done on a very high level, and see what they were like. years ago michel richard recreated an amazing construction by careme. it was dazzling to look at ... tons of spun sugar balls, imprinted sugar plates, etc. ... flavor was not so much. Keller is a huge fan of fernand point, and i tried to get him to do a point menu once, but he insisted that the point of point was not to be replicating someone else's food. still think it would be interesting.

I heard something on NPR awhile back where someone had created some 10 course meal that would have been a typical Sunday dinner in a home of a certain level of wealth in the 1880s. They used only equipment available then and it sounded insane. Process took all day and the prep took several IIRC.

Pretty sure mgm will find some way to disqualify her

Well she has some issues with understanding the 1:1 ratio of chairs to asses required for a sit down party, but at least she can cook.

Last edited:

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I heard something on NPR awhile back where someone had created some 10 course meal that would have been a typical Sunday dinner in a home of a certain level of wealth in the 1880s. They used only equipment available then and it sounded insane. Process took all day and the prep took several IIRC.

if you want to know what kitchens were like during the gilded age, search out a copy of charles ranhofer's "the epicurean". if you're interested in food, you really should anyway. it's like escoffier, but done 10 years earlier and with a LOT of information on kitting out a restaurant kitchen and brigade, pre-electricity style. it's really a fascinating book.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

Well she has some issues with understanding the 1:1 ratio of chairs to asses required for a sit down party, but at least she can cook.

that might get better as she gets older than 23, so don't dock her too many points for that.

mgm9128

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

My lady's employee and her roommate had us over for a dinner party. The girls are 23, so a dinner party meant us and about 19 of their closest friends, who were all talking about how nice and small it was for a dinner party. Anyways, the food was excellent, and all southern (they are from South Carolina). I thought I would mention it for MGM, in order to help him look down (south).

Invite me next time!

Currently, I have been looking east. As in Eastern Europe.

Last edited:

mgm9128

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Artichoke Salad, Gazpacho Purée, Garden Herbs.

Spiced Duck, Seckel Pear Chutney, Wilted Dandelion Greens, Green Peppercorn and Pear Jus.

Fillet of Beef, Arugula Coulis, Braised Blue Foot Mushroom, Sauce Bordelaise.

Farewell Figs, Cheese.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads