• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What did you eat last night for dinner?

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Making my own tortillas was fun, but without a press, the general shape was a bit off despite my best efforts. Most of them ended up looking like flowers, but the taste was there and they performed their duty as food shovels.
Question about the grilling of the steak: I didn't get a great char, despite the grill being well over 500. The steaks were room temp, but I pulled them directly from the marinade to the grill. Should I have dried them off first to get a char? I let them cook until about medium to see if anything would caramelize, but didn't want to complete over cook it.

way to go! for the tortillas, try rolling the masa into a ball, sandwiching it plastic wrap and then pressing it into a circle with the bottom of a pot. works just fine (like using a wine bottle for a rolling pin).
For the steaks, yes, always pat dry to get a sear. simple science: water boils at 212 ... as long as their is moisture present, you'll never get hotter than that. so particularly with a quick sear, it's imperative to get as much moisture from the surface as possible.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Any of you been to Melisse?

Worth it?

i think you'd hate it. it's 4F (fancy f*cking French food) done at a level just below where it would be great. if you've never been to a great restaurant, it might be impressive. but if you know good food, it's more likely to infuriate you because they could do so much more with just a little effort.

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score

i think you'd hate it. it's 4F (fancy f*cking French food) done at a level just below where it would be great. if you've never been to a great restaurant, it might be impressive. but if you know good food, it's more likely to infuriate you because they could do so much more with just a little effort.

booking reservation now. :fonz:

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IMG_0791.jpg

IMG_0792-1.jpg

Last edited:

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
The red/green slop on the bottom dish is really hard to look at. Everything else looks good.

Last edited:

KJT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Any photos? I've never made homemade tortillas, and I'd be really interested in trying without a press.

No photos, I was at my parents with a group of hungry family yelling at me for taking too long making my own tortillas. I took a large ziploc bag and cut it down the sides instead of plastic wrap, because it's a bit more substantial. Open, dust with a little flour, put the top over, squish and roll out with rolling pin, peel off and into the hot pan. Really easy. I'll try it with the bottom of a pot next time.

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My mom wanted to make something out of the leaves of young/fresh beetroot. That's why it got a little red, too (the stalks have enough red colour). Doesn't taste that bad. But you're right, looks a bit weird.

Last edited:

KJT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

For the steaks, yes, always pat dry to get a sear. simple science: water boils at 212 ... as long as their is moisture present, you'll never get hotter than that. so particularly with a quick sear, it's imperative to get as much moisture from the surface as possible.

:foo: Next time I'll pat dry.

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score

went to a terrific Mexican place in seascape last night, way better than anything I can get in NY.

I had some really good tacos last time I was in Brooklyn. It was surprising, the first good Mexican food I've had in New York. Place was called la Superior

Nil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thumbs up to whoever posted that baked polenta recipe; it worked perfectly. Topped it sauce made from anchovies, basil and some great tomatoes.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads