1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

What did you eat last night for dinner?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Fabienne, Jan 31, 2005.

1. Alter

Alter Senior member

I guess nobody likes pigs in a blanket... [​IMG]

I fapped...I just didn't want to write about it.

2. oDD_LotS

oDD_LotS Senior member

Celebrated our anniversary last night, so we had planned to go to one of our favorite restaurants...only to find out when we got there that it was closed for two days. We ended up going to an Italian place that we'd heard good things about. We shared a wedge and caprese salad, I had a zucchini walnut lasagne and my wife had some sort of chicken dish. Finished off with tiramisu and a single malt.

All-in-all, it was far better than I thought it would be and the lasagne was really incredible. The side of sauteed spinach, however, seemed more like reheated frozen junk. How you make sauteed spinach with garlic and pignoli (an almost inherently flavorful dish) bland and unappealing is beyond me. They had great bread (highlight was a black olive loaf) and a decent wine selection. For the prices charged (which are in line with the most expensive 2-3 restaurants in town), the service was a little too lax and a few corners had been cut. The server even admitted that the "Italian-style cheesecake" with mascarpone and almond crust that they were peddling for nearly $10 was actually just a Sara Lee cake.

I'll almost certainly go back, if only for the lasagne and a chance to try their wild mushroom pizza.

3. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim Senior member

I fapped...I just didn't want to write about it.

Thanks man. I slaved over a hot stove for like 19 minutes to make those... I don't expect a medal or anything, but a little appreciation is always nice.

4. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Senior member

Thanks man. I slaved over a hot stove for like 19 minutes to make those... I don't expect a medal or anything, but a little appreciation is always nice.

It made me remember my childhood. Pigs in a blanket are like the ultimate food to eat while watching football games.

5. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim Senior member

It made me remember my childhood. Pigs in a blanket are like the ultimate food to eat while watching football games.

I usually make mini pigs w lil smokies for football.

6. ld111134

ld111134 Senior member

Takashi -

Sweetbreads over potatoes lyonnaise,
    hamachi over kimchi w/ garlic chip and a mild dipping sauce,
    baramundi w/ a light mustard sauce and a roast aubergine

Still as good as when it opened, but it's just not possible to replicate Tribute. Fortunately, it's about half the price, so I'm pretty satisfied.

This place is pretty close to us, and my (now) wife and I went there a couple of years ago. It was good but not especially memorable. I give them credit - they've been in that space quite a while, outlasting Glory (a New England concept) and Scylla (Stephanie Izzard's old place).

Sounds like you really enjoyed it, Ron. We should give it another try. Remember that we need to set up dinner at Schwa. My wife can walk over there during the day and try to score a reservation in person.

7. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

Ate bibimbap at this new startup, soon to be chain thing here. It's store no.1 for now and then they're gonna open the successive restaurants in various world cities; you walk in and they have a Chipotle-like menu with an ingredient choice flow, you put together your food on the line like you would at Chipotle, and then you cash out at the end. It's a good idea but the execution is clumsy as hell because it's all mystery stuff for anybody but Koreans, and it will probably fail unless they get better at it. It's good tasting for $7 though, and would be an interesting fast food alternative I guess. http://www.sobahn.co.kr/index.asp

8. Yo-han

Yo-han Senior member

crossposted from pork belly thread. deep fried pork belly

[​IMG]

9. NorCal

NorCal Senior member

10. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Senior member

^Beautiful. Your ice cream too?

11. Xericx

Xericx Senior member

Slice of Cheese pizza from D'Amore's in the Farmer's Market on 3rd and Fairfax.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. NorCal

NorCal Senior member

^Beautiful. Your ice cream too?

Unfortunately no, we do have a ice cream maker but we don't use it enough. It is Strauss, a local dairy that makes rather excellent ice cream and butter in addition to their milk.

13. ld111134

ld111134 Senior member

Kansas city bone-in strip steak at Smith & Wollensky's, with seven other guys at table facing the river - celebrating a buddy's 40th birthday. The dry aged beef was great (a nice mineral-y-ness), and we got a tour of the aging room.

One of our more prominent female chefs stopped by for an appetizer (a friend of some of the guys). Interesting conversation about the local restaurant business.

14. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

plate of 8 types of iberian cured meats, and 5 types of spanish cheeses

15. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Did the NYT pork belly recipe. So good.

[​IMG]

16. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

Did the NYT pork belly recipe. So good.

[​IMG]

whoa, nice! link to recipe?

17. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

18. limester816

limester816 Senior member

Slice of Cheese pizza from D'Amore's in the Farmer's Market on 3rd and Fairfax.

[​IMG]

ugh.... i'm in santiago, and i think i miss a good slice of cheese more than anything else from the states...

19. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Senior member Dubiously Honored

Pig's feet in pastry, tomato with vanilla and lime, rabbit with mustard, apples and pineapples, rum raisin ice cream.

20. acidboy

acidboy Senior member