• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Are Your Thoughts On Stretch Fabrics?

DrewMill

Reaction score
I was in Brooks Brothers today, and, to be honest, some of the stretch fabrics for the shirts and suits felt pretty decent. I mean, not plasticky. I've been a staunch defender of 100% natural fibers, but maybe I shouldn't be so strict. Have stretch fabrics improved recently? Should I not exclude them from my shopping? What do you think about them?

jack webb

Reaction score
I was in Brooks Brothers today, and, to be honest, some of the stretch fabrics for the shirts and suits felt pretty decent. I mean, not plasticky. I've been a staunch defender of 100% natural fibers, but maybe I shouldn't be so strict. Have stretch fabrics improved recently? Should I not exclude them from my shopping? What do you think about them?
My only experience with stretch fabrics has been with jeans. I definitely like the feel of the fabric, the way it yields when you move from the first wear, but have also discovered it's sometimes wise to go down a size whey buying pants with elastane, spandex, etc. Don't know if that is due to the fabric or if vanity sizing is now permeating menswear as well. I once read somewhere that garments with stretch fibers are more apt to lose their shape more quickly. Can't say I've particularly noticed it, although it's been awhile since I've had any 100% cotton jeans to compare with.

Duke Santos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
6sv7gv.jpg

Mirage-

Reaction score
After acquiring my first pair of 100% cotton jeans (nudie) I haven't wanted to wear any other jeans I have, the cotton just feels so much nicer to the touch, and also seems to fall much nicer than others jeans. The break in was extremely uncomfortable though, given I was used to stretchy thing jeans.
In general, I now find them more comfortable than the stretchy jeans most of the time, *but* they do require a small break in again every time they are washed, which is annoying.

It must also be noted that they are also the most expensive pair I have, and the best fitting in my preferred cut so far (moderately slim yet fairly straight, extremely hard to find here).

As for other items of clothing...I don't know. What I do know is that almost always things that are stretchy are made too slim for my taste, so that you basically have to make use of the stretch to move, which actually isn't necessarily as comfortable as people think. We just collectively got used to it.
And they also tend to have less/no drape.
So it's hard to say whether that's due to presence of elastane or just the cut, and whether I might still like them if they were cut more classically. But then again, if they were, I wouldn't need the stretch much, would I.

ERok32

Reaction score
As someone 6’5 235 with a 14” drop, it’s nice to not have to buy MTM or custom for all of my professional or semi-casual attire. A little stretch makes clothing that’s not a perfect fit, bearable.

mikefrizellsr

Reaction score
As someone 6’5 235 with a 14” drop, it’s nice to not have to buy MTM or custom for all of my professional or semi-casual attire. A little stretch makes clothing that’s not a perfect fit, bearable.

I’m similarly built, 6’4” 225 12” drop. Pullovers, sweaters and almost any casual
item a little stretch is much welcome! Also spending 4-5 days a week in the gym it doesn’t hurt to show the hard work just a little! LOL

geht

Reaction score
BB shirts were my go to for dress shirts, and I have really tried to like their stretch shirts, but It’s been impossible for me. They feel too “plasticky”, almost like a tarpaulin. It’s a shame one can’t choose between a stretch and non-stretch option of the same shirt. I’m really crossed because so far I haven’t been able to find and acceptable replacement.

armcosmo

Reaction score
The newest stretch fabrics for shirtings are 100% cotton, either trational twills with impressive stretch and even wrinkle free to 100% cotton jersey casual printed sport shirts. Full disclosure, I’m the sales manager for Horst : https://horstcollections.com/

msimon

Reaction score
Only with jeans, picked up some lee 101 riders and the quality from levis non selvedge to selvedge is phenomenal. I feel like my levis are going to disintegrate any day now. Why non selvedge jeans allways has stretch needs to be abolished.

Levis rock cod has "93% Cotton / 4% Polyester / 2% Polyethylene / 1% Elastane". For 80 quid in the UK, err no.

As for other stuff, I firmly believe synthetics have no place in clothing for to many reasons.

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Shirting now comes in 100% synthetic stretch, cotton/Lycra, and 100% cotton natural stretch.
The main issue I have seen with 100% cotton natural stretch is that if the shirts are laundered by commercial cleaners the sleeves and sometimes the body stretches. I have seen shirts come back 1.5" longer....
Cotton/Lycra shirts will lose their stretch overtime.
The synthetic stretch fabrics require special fusible linings, and just feel fake.

Enfusia

Reaction score
I had a pair of kicking jeans for martial arts that were both stretch and had an extra diamond shaped piece sewn into the crotch.

They were a good wear except if you forgot you were wearing them and allowed your junk to get caught in the bunching of the extra fabric when you sit.

We've all done it and seen it. A guy sits and gets that look on his face and immediately tilts to one side or the other and makes that leg adjustment.

Yeah, these things were known for that.

As far as stretch formal clothes I have a performance suit that I wear for travel on planes and nowhere else.

I'd have to go look at it or look it up, but if memory serves me its 1% or 2% lycra or elastane, I don't recall?

I would never wear it to a party, event or even out, only for plane rides so I'm comfortable and arrive mostly wrinkle free.

DrewMill

Reaction score
BB shirts were my go to for dress shirts, and I have really tried to like their stretch shirts, but It’s been impossible for me. They feel too “plasticky”, almost like a tarpaulin. It’s a shame one can’t choose between a stretch and non-stretch option of the same shirt. I’m really crossed because so far I haven’t been able to find and acceptable replacement.

That was sort of my point in this post. The shirts felt less plasticky than they had in the past.

ridgerider

Reaction score
I feel the same as you, though I have not got on the stretch bandwagon yet. I have a single pair of Bill's Khaki stretch chinos and they're pretty decent, but I wear them for casual outfits or golf. The fabric is solid but a little different enough than their 100% cotton vintage twill chinos that I really like.

I do like the feel of the Kirkland boxer briefs from Costco that have stretch fabric, in that application I will hail their qualities.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads