• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are "Wet Coated" Jeans?

Davidko19

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What exactly are "Wet Coated" jeans and does anyone have any experience with this?

I just saw this pair on Context and have no idea what it means or what it looks like or what qualities it has. Any input? http://www.contextclothing.com/item.php?id=443

Average Joe Wet Coated
The Average Joe Wet Coated denim has a very slight wash and will gain character as you break them in. The coated fabric will get shiny with consisted wear and become leather-like. The tonal Nudie Pocket stitch makes this jean a bit more understated.
Made in Italy

Context Expert Tip: Coated fabrics acquire a unique fade. We highly recommend that you wear these for six months before you wash them. You'll be pleasantly surprised with the results

Biscotti

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I believe it is just they're regular coating that they use on many of their products; they refer to it as "wet" coated since the jeans are washed. The coating is some sort of synthetic product, but it takes on a very nice sheen to it as you wear it in.

Davidko19

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Biscotti
I believe it is just they're regular coating that they use on many of their products; they refer to it as "wet" coated since the jeans are washed. The coating is some sort of synthetic product, but it takes on a very nice sheen to it as you wear it in.

How is that even possible? I dont need the science behind it, but shouldnt the sheen come OFF with wear? I like the stiffness and shine, so this would be perfect, but I dont get how it actually works.

From regular jean to the look of LEATHER!?!?! I need to see it to believe it.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
It's just the type of wash done with it. Actually, it happens naturally to quite a few jeans. Nothing fancy about it.

"Wet" is the description of how they'll look after a few months, like a pair of coated jeans. Have you seen coated jeans before?

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
(avoids making comments regarding the 'wet', 'coated' or a combination of the two his inner 15 yr old is telling him to)

Davidko19

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whodini
It's just the type of wash done with it. Actually, it happens naturally to quite a few jeans. Nothing fancy about it.

"Wet" is the description of how they'll look after a few months, like a pair of coated jeans. Have you seen coated jeans before?

Yea, i suppose. But that eventually goes away, at least from what Ive seen. I certainly wouldnt qualify that as leather looking. And Ive been trolling around here and other online retailers for over 6 months and never heard of a coating method known as "wet". Maybe its just the way context wrote it... Granted, Im a relative denim noob, so I seek the guidance...
teacha.gif

db_ggmm

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't profess to understand all the terminology, but Nudie "Dry Coated" jeans look more like wet leather the more you wear them. They acquire a sheen.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Davidko19
Yea, i suppose. But that eventually goes away, at least from what Ive seen. I certainly wouldnt qualify that as leather looking. And Ive been trolling around here and other online retailers for over 6 months and never heard of a coating method known as "wet". Maybe its just the way context wrote it... Granted, Im a relative denim noob, so I seek the guidance...
teacha.gif

I'm not sure how else to explain it other than you don't have a lot of experience with denim. This isn't like starch where a pair starts off rigid and shiny but eventually becomes soft and dull. The denim starts out flat but because of the treatment turns shiny from stress, dirt, oil, etc.

onion

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whodini
I'm not sure how else to explain it other than you don't have a lot of experience with denim. This isn't like starch where a pair starts off rigid and shiny but eventually becomes soft and dull. The denim starts out flat but because of the treatment turns shiny from stress, dirt, oil, etc.

Exactly. This is a photo of the KMW x Context 1980 black. They are somewhat different from Nudie's coated denim, but you can see where the jeans are becoming somewhat shiny (like the back pockets for example).

DSC_0315.jpg

The original image was posted by Ryandenim on superfuture (who I believe is also Dirk Benedict on Styleforum)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads