What are those things over Johnny's shoes?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Renault78law, Jan 17, 2005.

1. Renault78law

Renault78law Senior member

2. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

Those are spats. Has he joined the SCSA (Society for creative sartorial anachronism)?

3. amirrorcrackd

amirrorcrackd Senior member

Obviously, you've never seen Some Like it Hot.

Dan

4. Renault78law

Hmmm...I've seen Some Like it Hot, in fact, saw it maybe 3 weeks ago. Â Can't recall anything about spats. Â Maybe I was a bit, er, distracted? edit: spats: A cloth or leather gaiter covering the shoe upper and the ankle and fastening under the shoe with a strap. What are they for?

5. amirrorcrackd

George Raft played Spats Colombo (the gangster) in the movie. He was aptly named because he always wore spats and made it a point of keeping them clean. [​IMG] Nice suit, by the way. Dan

6. j

They are a short version of gaiters, to keep snow/rain/mud out of the laces of one's shoes or boots. They are still worn in military parade dress, and for marching bands, etc. I guess they were popular for a period in the 20's or so (?)

7. amirrorcrackd

Oh, and Renault, is that Gob from Arrested Development in your avatar?

Dan

8. FIHTies

FIHTies Senior member

I have never seen spats that come around and drag the floor by the heel, therefore I will speculate that 1) its the lining of his pants that is either too long or separated and fell down around his ankle. 2) He is wearing Long Johns, 3) its a new mechanism for immediately buffing dress shoes as you walk. Either way I think they look silly.

9. Renault78law

amirrorcrackd,

ahhhh, now I remember. thanks.

and yup, thats GOB.

10. j

The spats I had to wear for marching band in high school (feel free to laugh) looked much like those, except they were cheap vinyl and too small. As spats go, his are good ones.

11. bigbadbuff

bigbadbuff Senior member

Had he not worn those ridiculous spats, and changed/dropped the sunglasses, he would have been the best dressed hands down IMO.

Jamie Foxx looked very good, as did Christopher from The Sopranos... Will Ferrell too.

12. Mark Seitelman

Mark Seitelman Senior member

I think that Johnny Depp looked ridiculous and is a prime example of how actors/celebrities don't know how to dress.

First, he's not wearing black tie. It's a black tie event (even though it begins in the daytime). It's a nice suit for a breakfast or lunch, but not for a glamorous evening event.

Second, his sleeves are too long, therefore, his cuffs are not showing. This is a typical error among the Hollywood set. Don't any of them get their suits altered?

Third, the spats. He must have rummaged through the prop room at Universal studios. He looks silly.

Fourth, there is no contrast between the suit and the shirt.

13. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

Tom Wolfe wears spats always.

For his research on his latest novel at various colleges in order to appear subtle he wore spectator shoes so as to have the effect of spats built in.

14. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Tom Wolfe is a prude and a crappy writer to boot. And yes, I've heard that he deliberately doesn't want to fit in, that there is nobody more derided than the weekend hipster, blah blah blah, but looking like a dork out of some shitty dinner theatre whodunit doesn't really make people want to tell you truths either. If anything, it makes people want to tell you exaggerations just to see your response. I think that Tom Wolfe's latest book is written not only from an outsider's perspective, but from the perspective eccentric outsider who is himself a gawked at spectacle.

15. sartoriale

sartoriale Well-Known Member Affiliate Vendor

Are you right? Yes. Does he look better than probaly any of us on this board? Perhaps... He can wear a T shirt with holes and dirty jeans, he is Johnny Depp, style is not in the details [​IMG]