• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are the distinguishing characteristics of a stroller?

ferguscan

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm curious about the stroller (semi-formal day wear). From drawings I've seen posted by Sator and others, I think the whole semi-formal outfit looks really dapper. And I reckon it could be pulled off in modern society much more easily than morning dress.

I would like to start a discussion about the stroller.

I am specifically interested in the characteristics of the jacket and waistcoat. In what way do they differ from the top half of a grey DB lounge suit? Could one simply use the top half of his lounge suit, paired with some of those nice stripey pants, and call it semi-formal?

Thanks very much,

Stuart

pbc

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ferguscan
I am specifically interested in the characteristics of the jacket and waistcoat. In what way do they differ from the top half of a grey DB lounge suit?

The primary difference is that it is not gray. A charcoal gray may be fine, but oxford gray (darker than charcoal) or black is preferred. As I understand, the lapels should be peaked whether the jacket is double or single breasted. Please, only two buttons or less on the single breasted. These days, three buttons or more would look like a mismatched suit to me. Besides this, the vest can have a different color, the most popular being dove gray, buff, lavender, or light blue. Essentially any vest that works with full morning dress can be done with a stroller.

Could one simply use the top half of his lounge suit, paired with some of those nice stripey pants, and call it semi-formal?
One could do so, provided the lounge suit was black or oxford gray, had peaked lapels, and it was worn with the appropriate shirt. It would make sense to me that, if one is going to get a matching jacket and vest, to get the matching pants as well. Yes, this is the dreaded black suit, but if you go through the trouble, one might as well have the option of the whole suit should you want it in the future. (Technically, the full three-piece black suit may be the most formal or somber version of the stroller with a white shirt.)

I reckon it could be pulled off in modern society much more easily than morning dress.
You are correct - it can be done quite nicely in modern society. For a more formal ensemble, use darker pants with a bolder stripe. Less casual can take lighter pants and other patterns such as checks and plaids. All are correct for a stroller. I like the color options available with the shirt and vest to lighten the mood a bit. Cufflinks and white collar should be standard. It seems you've read up on strollers, so I only addressed the questions you posed. Though he has sworn off using the term "stroller" for anything not intended to transport a baby, I defer to Sator for its nuances and any corrections.

pbc

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 98 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads