• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Welted vs Blake stitched reg shoes...

Evsty

Reaction score
I'm a bit new to the higher end shoe world and all of its intricicies...but am looking to buy some new monks and had a quick question. I recently went over to Paul Stuart and the sales rep over there had explained to me that one shoe had the advantage of being stitched a particular way (I can't remember what he said exactly but I think it had to do with the upper sole??) vs the way the other pair was stitched. If it helps - he was comparing a Crocket and Jones Benchgrade (I don't think it was a Handgrage) to a Mangianni. I was actually suprised that Manganni was making shoes for them, I didn't know that. In any case, he mentioned that due to the Crockett being stitched a particular way, they were easier to resole and would lose its shape. Being that this has happened already to me to a favorite pay of boots I had, can anyone explain what he was referring to? I did a quick search and came upon the whole Welted vs Blake Stitch...is that what he was referring to?

I'm looking for a nice black Double Monk (with more of a european cut) with a nice patina that will last a good 5-10 years and go equally well with jeans and a suit (although I know many people don't like the way they look with jeans). I was leaning toward the C&J Lowends...do they wear well with time? Any other reason NOT to consider them over another? II'd like to keep them south of $700.

Thanks in advance.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
C&J is fine if you take care of it.

Goodyear-welt vs. blake is what you are thinking of. Goodyear welted shoes the sole is stitched to a welt, which is attached to the upper. Blake shoes the sole is stitched directly to the upper. There are advantages and disadvantages to both, but ultimately get the shoes that fit you best.

Cant kill da Rooster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am surprised they told you the makers. I can never seem to get it out of them.

If you are in no rush, check out Leffot as well in Chelsea.

Last edited:

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You and your anti-black bullshit again.

You do realize patina can be naturally acquired through aging/oxidation and usage?

black shoes serve one purpose. formal events and possible interviews. As such, there should be no patina, they should be well shined and as flawless a possible.

black shoes with jeans are scary bad.

chogall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
black shoes serve one purpose. formal events and possible interviews. As such, there should be no patina, they should be well shined and as flawless a possible.

black shoes with jeans are scary bad.

Wrong on so many levels. There will always be acquired patina on used/aged black shoes. Not all "patina" are applied patina such as Berluti or EG.

With all the black shoes hate on this forum, the new bleached black shoes collections from Cleverley and G&G did garnered a lot of attentions.

p.s., I don't visit SW&D or SuFu regularly, but black shoes is the stable shoes for goth ninja or rocker look.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Exactly. I am a goth ninja hence my preference for them.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Have you checked our Ferragamo yet? They have some really awesome designs with real leather soles (not rubber). They are great for when you want some style but need to be just conservative enough.

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Wrong on so many levels.  There will always be acquired patina on used/aged black shoes.

not really. they will crease and scuff, but those are simply wear. The best black shoe, is a new black shoe.

not to mention they are hideous and absolutely pointless.

I think i've worn my black shoes maybe a handful of times in the past 2 years...and almost any time I wear them I think about how much I should have worn brown.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics