• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Weight loss/gain and belts

ProfessorShak

Reaction score
Over the past 2 years I've had an interesting change in weight. Pant's can be taken in and out but belts, especially the expensive ones are tricky. I was a 34 when I got married, gained 20lbs and needed a 36. I've been dieting for a few months and have lost 10lbs, which now makes my 36 a bit loose
crazy.gif
The most I've spent on a belt was $60 w/ 7 holes. but most of my belts have 5 holes.

My concern is: Shoe sizes don't change(not much if they do) so $$ spent is justified. Since the waist is the most likely part to change, how does one go about buying good quality belts without worrying about the need to throw/give them away if you lose/gain weight?
The guildline is to fill the middle or 3rd hold but that no longer works in my case as I'm taking the 4th hole. Are belts somewhat fexible when It comes to filling holes?

Some advice please

samurai

Reaction score
Don't worry about it. If you need an extra hole have the shoemaker do it or get a leather punch. If you do it yourself just be sure the punch is positioned exactly in the middle and the right distance from the last hole.

If you need to get rid of the bend in the leather from where you used to fasten it do the following - Slightly dampen the bent leather, sandwich it between 2 pieces of stiff cardboard wood or metal (2 rulers would work and clamp them with the clamp right over the bend. Leave for 5-6 hours an yr. belt will be flat again.

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^^ +1

Going to a professional is usually helpful, since they can do a good job where nothing will look amiss.

That said, the way I see it, if I am getting in shape, buying new clothes is a pleasure -- something I look forward to.

The past few months, I've been working out and my shoulders have broadened, and my bis, tris and arms have become bigger. End result? Some of my favorite shirts and suits need to be altered, while others don't fit well despite alterations.

While it's unfortunate, I am rather happy about the fact that I'm getting in great shape. Clothes may come and clothes may go, but my health goes on forever. Well, at least until I fall down dead. Cheers.

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Shortening belts is often pretty easy. Remove buckle. Cut some off th end reattach the buckle.

mt_spiffy

Reaction score
My cobbler punched extra holes in a belt for me, and charged me nothing.

BPT

Reaction score
I personally find that punching holes ruins the belt's aesthetics. Just take it to your cobbler to have it shortened. He will cut the buckle off, shorten the leather and then stitch the buckle back on. It won't cost you more than a few euro's/dollars and it looks much better.

mt_spiffy

Reaction score
Then, if you ever gain weight again, it's no good.

Timeless Fashion

Reaction score
You can buy new belts and keep the old ones in case you gain weight again. Or if you want to keep your belts, punching new holes would be the simpler move without shortening the belt.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads