• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wedding tux: limited local options, afraid of overpaying

turkoftheplains

Reaction score
I'm getting married in April, and attending another wedding in October and I need to buy black tie attire, figuring if I get something nice I can wear it for both. I live in Pittsburgh, and went shopping for a tux recently. I'm a 46R, looking for the classic: 1-button, single-breasted, peak-lapel, and ventless (flexible on this one.) My budget is $700 to $2000.

I tried to do this in person, since I'm not great with fit and felt I'd do better trying things on in person. I found a whopping 4 pieces that met my criteria-- a HF which didn't have the best lines for my shape, a Zegna which I loved but the price was steep ($3200), a BB that seemed decent but I'd have to order the lapel styling I want ($900), and a Jos. A. Bank that I tried on just to satisfy myself that I'd looked at the whole range of options.

It seems like people have gotten Zegna for much, much less than what this store was asking. Pittsburgh is not NYC or Chicago, and so my local options seem limited. I have no idea where I would even start if I wanted to buy online (the list on blacktieguide.com appears to be from October 2011.) I have tremendous respect for the opinions here-- where have folks in more provincial locations gotten formalwear?

(Please, no admonitions about how morning dress would be more appropriate, the black tie is a non-negotiable.)

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
You're getting married during the day? If so my suggestion would be not morning dress but just a suit and tie. But if you're really just dead set on black tie....

I know you want to try on first, but you might have better luck on eBay. Finding dinner suits on eBay shouldn't be too hard. Measure your suit jackets that fit you well and try to find things with those measurements. The length and shoulders are particularly important. Then, take it to a tailor that can do excellent alteration work and have him work his magic. If you're going to be taking a trip to DC anyway within the next couple of months, I really can't recommend William Field in Georgetown highly enough for alterations.

Obviously this is a tad riskier, as you might get something off of eBay that doesn't work at all. But: 1) if it's unworkable, a good tailor will tell you that, so you'll be out just the amount you pay for the suit, not the extra $200 or so in tailoring 2) it's a pain, but having a suit that doesn't fit you isn't worthless - you may be able to return it (some sellers offer this) or if you're willing to go to the trouble, resell it yourself 3) even if it's a complete loss, you can probably screw up even twice before meeting the amount you would be spending for a RTW dinner suit.

Now, have you budgeted for all the other black tie accessories as well? You have a semi-formal shirt, bowtie, waist covering (in the event that you don't buy a suit with a vest), studs, shoes?

turkoftheplains

Reaction score
You're getting married during the day? If so my suggestion would be not morning dress but just a suit and tie. But if you're really just dead set on black tie....

Then, take it to a tailor that can do excellent alteration work and have him work his magic. If you're going to be taking a trip to DC anyway within the next couple of months, I really can't recommend William Field in Georgetown highly enough for alterations.
3) even if it's a complete loss, you can probably screw up even twice before meeting the amount you would be spending for a RTW dinner suit.
Now, have you budgeted for all the other black tie accessories as well? You have a semi-formal shirt, bowtie, waist covering (in the event that you don't buy a suit with a vest), studs, shoes?
I'm getting married at 5PM. The sun will be up and it will be before six, so we're breaking the rules. Not entirely my decision, but also not really up for negotiation at this point.

Thanks for the tailor recommendation. When I first read the bit about DC in your reply, I thought you had to be a mind-reader or know me IRL-- I'm actually getting married in the DC suburbs! There's a good chance I will go to William Field for alterations.

I had been thinking about going the ebay route; there seems to only be one 46R with the features I'd want on that at the moment and the seller doesn't have a sterling reputation on here. I'll keep looking for sure.

As you rightly point out, I haven't budgeted as fully as I should for the shirt, bowtie, waist covering, patent leather shoes, formal braces, formal socks, and studs (if I don't get a fly front shirt)-- I wanted to address the dinner suit proper first since it requires the largest expenditure and the most fitting. I am worried (maybe not as worried as I should be) about getting a good fit and styling on my shirt and vest. I also know that shoes aren't going to be cheap. I'm trying to address one thing at a time in order to maintain sanity.

Last edited:

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Zegna has a wide range of quality levels or lines, so that one likely falls in the mid to upper end of what they offer. I think that's something that you would own for a number of years and $3200 would be worth it for me if the cut was exactly as I wanted.

A proper Black Tie rig is pretty tough to do on the cheap, I spent about $3300 for the full boat, less studs and links and felt like it was a fair deal. Mind you, black tie is evening wear and out of place at a day wedding.

johnvw

Reaction score
You mentioned you tried on a JAB tuxedo. Do you still consider it an option? A JAB Signature tuxedo should be a decent choice, and on one of the sales, would be well under your budget, leaving you enough for alterations and the remainder of the black tie outfit.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 103 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 103 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads