• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Watches - which brand has higher resale value: VC or Cartier?

GuidoWongolini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by merkur
For plain (ie no complications) 18k gold watches, in general, between Cartier and Vacheron and Constantin, which one has the better resale value?

VC

ColeFieldHouse

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Phat Guido
VC

I'd be careful about VC's resale value. Always seem to break down at key moments.

20424580_65bc0dc775.jpg

fcuknu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, but did you see that reverse alley-oop in overtime to win the game? VC all the way.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Wait a minute... VC is the superior watch here, but Cartier is always popular in the pre-owned market. Not sure which one will fetch a higher resale value, considering they both are in different price ranges anyway.

bcate3

Reaction score
Originally Posted by acidicboy
Wait a minute... VC is the superior watch here, but Cartier is always popular in the pre-owned market. Not sure which one will fetch a higher resale value, considering they both are in different price ranges anyway.

I agree. It'll also depend on the specific model. I suspect the classic Cartier Tanks hold their value pretty well.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Depends on what discount you can get each watch at. Resale value as % of MRSP is a useless measure - need to look at resale as % of EADP*

*easily available discount price

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A lot depends on the specific model, but in general, Rolex and Cartier hold their value better than any other brand of watch.

mockingboy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ambulance Chaser
A lot depends on the specific model, but in general, Rolex and Cartier hold their value better than any other brand of watch.

Wrong. Rolex's do hold their's well but Cartier I would argue, especially more recent ones, do not.

sfo423

Reaction score
Originally Posted by merkur
For plain (ie no complications) 18k gold watches, in general, between Cartier and Vacheron and Constantin, which one has the better resale value?

Kind of like the difference between style and fashion.

norcaltransplant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you compare the base models between VC and Cartier (<$30,000 MSRP), the Cartier will undoubtedly maintain a higher resale value. Cartier has the advantage of bolstering its image through a well-known jewelry line. The VC will undoubtedly boast superior horological design and execution. VC is also known to lag behind AP and Patek in the secondary and rarity market.

aldica

Reaction score
I'm a long-time collector, and there is no question in my mind VC! Cartier even has quartz movements, so there is very limited collection value in those. VC from thirties or sixties are very sleek and modern. That being said, don't pass up a traditional Cartier tank, if you have an opportunity to get one at a good price. It's timeless.

aldica

Reaction score
Oh, one more comment, please. I wouldn't worry about resale, and would concentrate on a watch I enjoy wearing. The bid/offer spread on watches (what you can purchase it for, and resell it for) is not advantageous in any case. The only watch in my collection I know is profitable is a 1971 Daytona (model out just after Paul Newman model). And I wear it almost every day.

Looking at a fine timepiece on your wrist should, in my opinion, be compensation enough.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads