• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Watch experts help with Perrelet?

Nativefx

Reaction score
I've been reading lately some of the other watch threads and trying to learn more about automatics and such. I came across a Perrelet at http://forums.watchnet.com/index.php...o=246879&rid=0

I don't know much about the brand, but I do like the style offered her with the white dial. Can anybody offer advise as to the bang for you buck and also about the quality? I'd appreciate any help.

Thanks!
smile.gif

Twotone

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice watches, but even better movements (well, many years ago). Paul Gerber uses their base twin-rotor movements (with serious modifications) for many of his very fine timepieces. Their current line, however, does not do much for me.

Twotone

aleeboy

Reaction score
they do make a very nice skeleton chronograph. They are known for their double rotor movements.

I have seen nice pictures of Perrelet watches on TZ and the posters have all said they are well cased and of good quality.

At that price, I think they are ok and if I were to spend that money, I would go for the Perrelet over, say, a Tag.

Nativefx

Reaction score
So for the price, would I be better off looking for maybe a used Omega speedmaster? I have a few that I have been looking at. My budget is about $1500, so I was just trying to determine where Perrelet falls as far as quality.

Thanks!
smile.gif

aleeboy

Reaction score
If you are concerned only about the quality, then it may come down to the aesthetics of the Omega over the Perrelet.

If you have other factors to consider, such as brand recognition, you may want to opt for the Omega.

This being said, if you buy a watch that you aren't really happy with, you will end up buying one you will be happy with and losing money on the first one.

I made this mistake and bought two expensive watches before settling down for a while with a piece I am still very happy with owning and looking at.

Just my 0.02

A

sfo423

Reaction score
Not my favorite style, but quality made. Seems like a relative "bargain" at the price offered. That always makes me suspicious.

I am sort of in the same boat; looking for a new piece. My last new "nice" watch was purchased in '92; a Baume & Mercier Riveria. In the past week I started reading up on watches again as I'd like a quality military style watch (read non-Panerai). I found some great resources (watcheseek, timezone) and am amazed at how many smaller brands are out there that have superior parts, but little brand awareness.

There are several German brands that have high quality movements, sapphire crystals, etc. along with nice styling and relatively excellent pricing compared to big brands. Also, I stumbled on to jswatch.com They are out of Iceland; excellent product and you get a big currency and export discount.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads