• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Walking my daughter down the aisle in a casual, rustic wedding.

Jim McKinnis

Reaction score
My daughter's wedding is in December, outside. They are going for a casual, rustic style. She will be wearing an elegant knee length white dress with cowboy boots. Her attendants will be in fig/maroon. Her groom and the groomsmen will be wearing boots, jeans with brown corduroy jackets with maroon ties.

Honestly, I'm not at all thrilled with by the corduroy jackets with ties, but at least my daughter will look beautiful. My daughter would like me to stay within the theme. That's no problem, as jeans and a suit jacket or sport coat is pretty much my daily wardrobe. And I'm certainly no stranger to cowboy boots. But I would normally never wear a tie with jeans, and corduroy is out of the question.

What can I do to keep within the theme, but still look good for my daughter? I'm thinking nice jearns, starched white shirt and either a black or dark blue suit jacket with black boots. But would it be ok to not wear a tie given all the groomsmen and groom will be in ties? And can I wear a black suit jacket, or given the theme and it being outside, should I go with a more textured jacket. If I go with a tie, what style of tie would work?

Appreciate any thoughts.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Anything goes with that theme....

Grammaton Cleric

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Given that its your daughter's big day, I would make an effort to wear something consistent with the theme. Regardless of the type of coat chosen, I would certainly wear a tie.

I've had to wear my share of egregious paisley waistcoats and purple cummerbunds of the couple's choosing, but one must defer to their wishes for the occasion.

Fang66

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bolo tie

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How about a nice earth-toned tweed jacket? A lot of fellows like the tweed jacket and jeans look, and it would certainly look less anomalous than a suit coat with jeans.

I note this is the second thread to come up recently involving an outdoor wedding in December, which makes me suspicious of trollery, unless you are posting from someplace like Australia.

wilbromarshall

Reaction score
If possible I would try to take your daughter shopping with you. Take her to lunch, let her talk about whatever and enjoy the time.

That way you know she will happy with what you are wearing and you can feel good about it as well.

bellyhungry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Black suit with cowboy boots - go for the Johnny Cash all black country look - with a crisp white shirt and black tie.

Or tweed jacket with elbow patch and well-tailored green/brown corduroy pants and a pair of classic LWB.

Last edited:

Henry Carter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hmm not sure about the jeans theme, I'm from the country and even in Australia we would never wear jeans to a casual wedding. If you had to go casual you would wear moleskins in their place (RM Williams of course), but of course each country is different.

If you're going the country theme, may as well stick to it right through. The white shirt or black jacket idea are very clashing levels of formality with the jeans.

Something like the following would be what I'd wear in your situation-
Tweed Sportcoat
A blue or finely checked shirt
Woollen tie
5 pocket moleskins or jeans if you must
A pair of brown derby brogues (longwing or shortwing wont matter).

Jim McKinnis

Reaction score
Thanks everyone. This gives me some good ideas. I especially like the suggestion to go shopping with my daughter.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads