• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MangoHiChew

Reaction score
Hey guys, relatively new to SF. Been lurking for a while but never really posted so please excuse me if I'm not up to SF etiquette (I tried my best to read up on appropriate posting).

That said, I've gone through this thread with a pretty fine toothed comb and I'm still debating about what size I would take in suede virgils.

For reference, I've currently got a 9.5 in the Amdo Folks from, I think, 2014. Fit me fine with a store bought athletic gel insole and my orthopedic carbon-ceramic half insert (I have flat feet and these help with arch support). I have a 9 in a pair of two-toned FBTs from the early 2000's (not sure of the exact year) and they fit me pretty much the same as the Amdo's do. I also wear a 9.5 in Nikes (Jordan 1's, flyknits, etc.) 9 in Converse and Vans, and 42 in CP's. Most of these shoes are about a half size to a hair too long but fit me great width wise. Shoe width is what my podiatrist has stressed I should be concerned with.

Most people are saying that you should either size down a half size or take TTS from what I assume is brannock sizing. My concern with going down a half size (8.5) or staying TTS(9) is that they'll be too narrow which is why I'm considering sizing up a half size (9.5.

Thanks guys!

Last edited:

g transistor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I take a 10.5 in Nikes and am comfortable in my 10 Virgils. The Virgils have stretched so there is a bit of give in them these days, but in the beginning they were snug but not uncomfortable. If your podiatrist has given you advice on width, I'd say take the safe route. It depends on what socks you wear as well, as I often wear wool with mine, so keep that in mind.

That said, it sounds like you should take a 9. The Virgil profile is relatively wide, and the leather will stretch as well.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I almost want to buy a pair of FBT shamans just so people can freak out at work.
DO IT. I work from home most of the time, so I never get the satisfaction of freaking people out. Also, too many old hippies in my town. I could walk buck naked and the only thing that people would ask me to cover is my shame...

Emixam

Reaction score

The Virgil profile is relatively wide, and the leather will stretch as well.

actually not every Virgil use the same last, they are at least 3 different last that I know, in any case all are TTS.

Last edited:

Fycus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last on the right is infinitely better, its what makes virgils so aesthetically pleasing imho, balance of width at the heel

cyc wid it

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

DO IT.  I work from home most of the time, so I never get the satisfaction of freaking people out.  Also, too many old hippies in my town.  I could walk buck naked and the only thing that people would ask me to cover is my shame...

If they re release in a good color, I'd probably make inquiries.

chimpskibot

Reaction score
What's the easiest way to find virgils in size 12? Sand/lt brown suede preferred
Best place to look is Y!JP and hope you get lucky, price may be killer, although it may not be considering most Japanese wear small sizes.

winston86dit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Saw this asked once earlier but no answer. Does anyone have any knowledge of suit sense and if it's all legit?

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Saw this asked once earlier but no answer. Does anyone have any knowledge of suit sense and if it's all legit?
They claim to be, but I have no idea whether that is true or not.

vyrus

Reaction score
New here! Yes they are legit! Ordered a lungta stars shirt from them a few months ago, impeccable service!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads