*** Visvim thread: Dissertation on a Japanese Holy Spirit ***

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by g transistor, Jul 3, 2014.

1. bdeuce22

bdeuce22 Senior member

Those dark brown ones look awesome. Knew I should've just pulled the trigger on both.

2. stevent

stevent Senior member

I tried to get both as well but card didn't go through and PayPal wouldn't let me login for some reason. Ended up getting invoice sent to me but tan ones were gone by then.

3. bdeuce22

bdeuce22 Senior member

These are great. Thanks again @Dbear for the PSA. I owe you a beer if we ever cross paths.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 25, 2015

4. g transistor

g transistor Senior member

5. loucifer

loucifer Active Member

(note: sorry for the length but i feel like venting and context might help yall understand where im coming from)

Where do I start.

So, I've always been enamored with visvim and everything they stand for, from the mystique of hiroki to the dyes + materials to the special ict stuff they do. Probably my favorite brand, but the sticker shock is quite real and until recently i pretty much watched from a distance. I copped a couple oxfords, a ballistic and an fbt on ebay (all pre owned) over the last 2-3 yrs but couldn't really afford to drop $1300 on grizzlys or $750 on virgils until recently. But now I can..and so I did, which brings me to the reason i'm asking what I am asking.

Instead of paying like 450-550 on a used older pair, I figured if im going to cop a grail ive wanted for years i might as well drop full retail and buy some dope ass new ones in the exact color/size that i wanted. Virgil, light brown suede, size 10 it is. $700 and an order confirmation later, I was hype.

....So today they came in, and as soon as I opened the box I was like a little kid on christmas morning..until I wasn't. After a few seconds of closer inspection, while the quality of the materials on these things is insane (better than my made in korea fbts), I feel like the construction is decidedly not. And because of it, i feel like these things will not last. It has been a common critique of visvim - that they are beautiful creations with quality unique materials, but the construction is not up to par with the aforementioned. I never really heard the critique on virgils specifically though, as Ive seen many beat up pairs in fit pics looks surprisingly sturdy and well made.

Each imperfection isn't a very big deal individually, but I feel like for a shoe in line with viberg price-wise.. taking every imperfection into account, this is kinda unacceptable. ALSO, my concern is really less about the imperfections themselves and more about how they speak to future durability of the shoes. I might be really overreacting and if so, please feel free to be blunt and let me know! It would put me at ease honestly.

I enclosed detailed pics in the spoiler, so anyone with experience in owning virgils (especially newer ones - these are from this season) - please let me know. Thank you!!

off center tongue details (in all online pics the logo is centered on the leather piece)
    [​IMG][​IMG]

glue stain on tpu heel (hard to see) + the welted leather piece is kinda sticking out (maybe its supposed to be like that idk)
    [​IMG]

loose stitching by toe + multiple frayed stitch ends
    [​IMG]

suede nap is pretty even throughout the shoe, except right here by the tpu stabilizer
    [​IMG]

shots of the leather liner glued to the suede (the left one is kinda shoddy and not fully glued on but it's stitched as well so perhaps that wouldnt matter in terms of durability)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

inside looks (some scuffs, black marks + glue stains, not a huge deal but the glue job doesnt seem great and I question future durability)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 26, 2015

6. baethos

baethos Member

Hi All. Only just started getting into boots. Only own one pair which are the Redwing IR's. Love them so far. Looking at getting into more boots in the near future and came across these Visvim Virgil boots which I really like. Heading over to Japan in November this year and keen to pay a visit to F.I.L in Tokyo. Can anyone tell me what the break-in period is like for Virgils? I assume it's similar to other boots like Redwings? So you want to go for a snug fit, but not too tight. They'll loosen up a bit over time? My Redwing's are pretty comfy now, when they first started off they were quite snug. Should I go for a similar fit if I pickup some Virgils? Thanks!!

^ Just read the post above. Nice boot! Sorry can't help you but I can understand if you're paying that much you'd expect it to be near perfect. Virgil is more of a "work boot" right? So they'll eventually look more toughened out? Unlike a dress boot?

7. Emixam

Emixam Senior member

these virgils look just fine man, glue stains and suede scuff happen with Viberg, Yuketen, Julian boots, etc...as for the norvegian stitch leather part hitting the TPU, it is unavoidable, and the tongue patch it is always of centered.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2015

8. g transistor

Just FYI, I am very critical of Visvim quality and I have to say that my Kudu Virgils have held up to the toughest beating ever. I am nowhere close to babying them-- lots of long, rocky hikes, biking, farm work, etc. They were my daily wears for a very long time, and it's been about 2.5 to 3 years now. I'm just now getting them resoled, and although there are some things that are coming apart (the insole separated so I just glued it back on with contact cement), it's to be expected with the amount of beatings I put them through. You buy Visvim for the fact that it's Visvim. There are Virgil-esque boots out there, but there is no boot that is exactly the Virgil. It is up to you if you want to keep them, but if you're initially unhappy with them I would say that you will probably not be happy with them in the long run. Those small imperfections are present in almost every boot, even from some of the ones I've owned from Viberg, Dayton, Alden, etc. They are great boots, but if you're looking for perfection, it's not gonna be here. Visvim is a fashion brand after all.

9. g transistor

I would try them on with socks that you wear often (if you plan on wearing them with socks, some people don't but I think that's gross). You're correct, go for a snug but not uncomfortable fit, and they will stretch out. You don't want to be dealing with pain, walk around a little bit to make sure you're comfortable.

And yes, Virgil is modeled after a work boot.

10. loucifer

loucifer Active Member

Thanks, this makes me feel a lot better. I was more worried about how the imperfections would affect their durability than anything, so if thats not going to be a future problem then im honestly fine with them (although they are a bit big..could have easily gone with 9.5 - im a 10.5 in nikes and both my fbts are 10). I feel like the suede models are just by nature going to be less perfect looking but maybe thats part of the point. the only other expensive boot i own is a pair of the wings + horns vibergs (im more of a sneaker person) and they seem to be constructed better but maybe im seeing what i want to see. who knows. I think im gonna say screw it and just wear em.

11. chiggah

chiggah Senior member

---

Last edited: Jul 1, 2015

12. g transistor

I think they'll grow on you. My Virgils are still my favorite boots

13. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Senior member

I almost want to buy a pair of FBT shamans just so people can freak out at work.

14. ppllzz

ppllzz Senior member

i saw the skagways with shearling lining today... made in china??? at that retail price? total turn off

15. forextrader

forextrader Member

is there a physical store that sells visvim in london?

Last edited: Jul 3, 2015