Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

*** Visvim thread: Dissertation on a Japanese Holy Spirit ***

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by g transistor, Jul 3, 2014.

1. winston86dit

winston86dit Senior member

Thanks my man! So are they basically a proxy service?

2. vyrus

vyrus New Member

They seem more like a reseller than a proxy service. They do start preorders for certain items though.

3. Fycus

Fycus Senior member

Fall 2015/2016 lookbook released, so good... Some shots for the curious:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 28, 2015

4. Emixam

Emixam Senior member

one of my favourite lookbook for sure !

5. VitaTimH

VitaTimH Senior member

^ Agreed. Liking this a lot more than recent seasons. I'm glad the "cute" little details have been toned down.

6. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Senior member

Might be alone in this, but the lookbook actually feels kind of underwhelming. I like that they got away from the slightly strange teenage-ish/ boy-ish looks that characterized past seasons' lookbooks, but this one also feels like it misses everything that makes Visvim compelling. Kind of generic if you took away the pretty backgrounds.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2015

7. Fycus

Fycus Senior member

This season they focused heavily on proportions. Most of the details need to be seen in person to be fully appreciated, but the cutting and proportions are easy to see in lookbook pictures.

Proportions can be seen with several different variations but the most common this season is very cropped slim top, large trousers, anti-fit outerwear with chunky footwear:
    [​IMG]

All of the textures, natural dyes, fabric slubbiness, hand-sketched drawings, and fine detail are something never done before that cannot be appreciated fully without seeing in person. Pictures of kangaroo leather virgils is slightly different than handling in person, as is the headdress t-shirt. The thing is literally hand drawn and painted by individual artists. The mohair sweater? Custom natural dyes infused into mohair fabric seamlessly blend together. Sanjuro kimono has cochineal dye at cuffs and edges which is a natural dye from crushed bugs. The result is a very vibrant red that will wear and show age effortlessly.

[​IMG]

Border stripe tee with the sanjuro kimono? Done in natural dye that shows uneven consistency and true character that will wear over time. Here is an example of the fabric:

[​IMG]

The amount of detail and depth in color is outstanding, which doesn't necessarily translate to lookbook pictures. All of the printed patterns are custom done and will be cohesive throughout the collection, so the liners on jackets, gore-tex taping, membrane, laces on shoes will all show similarities. If you look closely its all very impressive even though on the surface it may seem a little plain.

8. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Senior member

That Sanjuro is so nice. I wonder how crazy pricey it will be...

9. Lorcan7

Lorcan7 Senior member

Yeah I'm into the sanjuro coats

10. Fycus

Fycus Senior member

There are three different models this season:

brushed flannel: around $800 usd
    natural dye blanket: $1800 usd
    the above cochineal + indigo: I think its like $4,000 or something absurd

11. cutemelon

cutemelon Senior member

men's lookbook was a bit underwhelming for me, but i am in love with the women's

12. Gruff

Gruff Senior member

You're not alone.

What makes Visvim compelling to you in other iterations? The only Vis piece I've ever seen that I thought was extraordinary was the Indigo Camping Trailer bandana print jacket. Beyond that, every lookbook comes off like a Gap production with slightly nicer items, but stuff worth nowhere near the price they're asking.

I just don't get the love for this brand. People can talk forever about special production methods and materials blah blah blah but at the end of the day, the stuff just looks basic when it's all put together.

13. winston86dit

winston86dit Senior member

I understand and kind of see what you're saying but this same thing could be said for almost every men's fashion brand, contemporary and high fashion. There are only a handful that really provide out-there looks and pieces, but then I don't know too many men who want to be wearing those things. I think that's where Visvim kind of comes in. A tribute to heritage and well made goods done in a fun, not-too-serious way that allows the wearer to be himself but doesn't necessarily fall in line with being reproduction. The back story helps as well, that kind of lore surrounding Visvim and what they do.
    But as an adult and father, I feel out of place wearing something too too fashion and Visvim strikes the right cord for what I'm into and my lifestyle and wanting to enjoy what I wear.

14. dieworkwear

I like his take on Americana.

I think it's true you have to handle Visvim in person to appreciate some of the more subtle details and fabrications. I know that sounds like a lot of mumbo jumbo online, but a lot of those things just don't come through well in photos. That said, previous lookbooks just felt like they had a bolder vision and some slightly more interesting pieces. I don't know. Third Looks posted some showroom photos that looked a lot more exciting.

http://www.thirdlooks.com/2015/02/visvim-fallwinter-2015-collection-preview/

The prices are ridiculous. I don't think there's a justification for it, but like with a lot of designer clothing, if you like it, you can find ways to get it for a little cheaper.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2015

15. dieworkwear

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I also think it just might not be shot well. I don't care for the Sanjuro Bomber, but you can hardly tell what it is in these two photos.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2015