• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Visit to Lobb St. James with my Monkstraps...

Kuro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by StephenStyle
Not snobby enough. I'd want my name embroidered on there.

They'll do that also.
wink.gif

Bounder

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by makewayhomer
the article on their site says the 1st pair starts at 2300 pounds

Believe it or not, they're having a sale now. Through the end of the year, if you buy one pair, the second is only 1000 GBP. The only problem is that you have to buy two pair at the same time from a bespoke maker you might not have worked with before.

But if you have a friend with identically-shaped feet, this is a great deal.

Lance

Reaction score
Before you jump in on this sale, I believe the second pair is 1000 off rather than costing only 1000.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lance
Before you jump in on this sale, I believe the second pair is 1000 off rather than costing only 1000.

What if you save five box tops and send them in to Battle Creek, Michigan?

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
what kind of bespoke shoemaker is having sales or dodgy BOGOF?

Can't be that successful.

Getting more surreal by the minute.

Corniche

Reaction score
They're so well made - like nothing I've got in the wardrobe! I've also had a pair of Lobbs I was lucky enough to come by last year for the princely sum of £30 or thereabouts. They were from the late 80s I think. Never worn:

DSCF1457.jpg

DSCF1459.jpg

DSCF1460.jpg

The leather was in immaculate condition - like they were brand new - still soft.

Nice found!

If they are in euro 43 and you want to get rid of them please write me!

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bounder
Believe it or not, they're having a sale now. Through the end of the year, if you buy one pair, the second is only 1000 GBP. The only problem is that you have to buy two pair at the same time from a bespoke maker you might not have worked with before.

But if you have a friend with identically-shaped feet, this is a great deal.

They also famously--or infamously--don't make you a mock-up shoe to adjust. You simply get your blob at the end, according to Cleverly.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
Cleverly had some interesting things to say about Lobb St.James.

I also get the impression that LSJ isn't held in very high regard by other shoemakers. One of the issues people will bring up is their high volume compared to other makers which doesn't give them enough time to make a really good shoe.

--Andre

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Y
I also get the impression that LSJ isn't held in very high regard by other shoemakers. One of the issues people will bring up is their high volume compared to other makers which doesn't give them enough time to make a really good shoe.

--Andre

In the end, who really knows? There are some very catty people in the world of bespoke, as there are everywhere. The only evidence any of us can have is anecdotal because none of these makers make enough shoes -- and none of us know enough of the buyers -- for the idea of some sort of qualitative test to be anything short of ludicrous. Anecdotally, customers seem more pleased with Cleverley, but who among us knows many Lobb ST James customers -- or would want to poll them?

MalfordOfLondon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RJman
In the end, who really knows? There are some very catty people in the world of bespoke, as there are everywhere. The only evidence any of us can have is anecdotal because none of these makers make enough shoes -- and none of us know enough of the buyers -- for the idea of some sort of qualitative test to be anything short of ludicrous. Anecdotally, customers seem more pleased with Cleverley, but who among us knows many Lobb ST James customers -- or would want to poll them?

It seems like some people with experience of a certain bespoke shoe maker automatically despises another. That's something I don't understand at all.

I've been lucky enough that a few of these Lobbs have passed my hands and I've been really impressed with all of them. That being said, I am comparing them to EG RTW and C&J etc.

I've not been able to compare them against the work of other bespoke makers. I just count myself lucky to come across them at a good price, and enjoy them for what they are.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
It seems like some people with experience of a certain bespoke shoe maker automatically despises another. That's something I don't understand at all.

Nah, lasbar is a kindred spirit. The hot poetry of Latin blood flows through his veins, unnaturally chilled by the harsh sea breezes of PHOQUESTONE. No wonder he is confused.

In general, comparing handmade bespoke of good quality (which I think we can all agree Lobb St James is) against good quality machine-made RTW (like EG, C&J, etc.), handmade bespoke is going to win. (Fit is a different concern -- it sounds like you have been picking up bespoke made for other people; if it fits you too then you are lucky).

MalfordOfLondon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nah, lasbar is a kindred spirit. The hot poetry of Latin blood flows through his veins, unnaturally chilled by the harsh sea breezes of PHOQUESTONE. No wonder he is confused.

In general, comparing handmade bespoke of good quality (which I think we can all agree Lobb St James is) against good quality machine-made RTW (like EG, C&J, etc.), handmade bespoke is going to win. (Fit is a different concern -- it sounds like you have been picking up bespoke made for other people; if it fits you too then you are lucky).

I wasn't actually talking about lasbar - just a feeling I get from reading a lot of threads on bespoke since I joined...

Yup - just been lucky with the fit. Of course there's been a few pairs I've managed to come across which didn't fit but they make a healthy profit (usually going to narrow footed Japenese guys) - so everyone's a winner....
wink.gif

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

epic

Leone

Reaction score
It seems like some people with experience of a certain bespoke shoe maker automatically despises another. That's something I don't understand at all. I've been lucky enough that a few of these Lobbs have passed my hands and I've been really impressed with all of them. That being said, I am comparing them to EG RTW and C&J etc. I've not been able to compare them against the work of other bespoke makers. I just count myself lucky to come across them at a good price, and enjoy them for what they are.
I own JL bespoke and several JL rtw shoes and I must say even the rtw [certainly the prestige line] from JL is far better than EG and certainly C&J, but like you I can't compare my bespokes with another brand/maker for I don't own or tried the other ones
blush.gif

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
They also famously--or infamously--don't make you a mock-up shoe to adjust. You simply get your blob at the end, according to Cleverly.

Didn't Kuro post pics of his see-through LSJ mock-up shoes?
confused.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads