• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Hi, we have updated our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy in anticipation of the upcoming new Calfornia laws, the CCPA. If you are a resident of California, these rights pertain to you. Thanks - Styleforum Team.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Vintage Shell Cordovan Quality?

briancpotter

Reaction score

VegTan

Reaction score
The older shell is, the thicker it is usually.
http://cobbler.txt-nifty.com/blog/2013/01/winter-gift-74b.html

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?67887-Horween-USA-and-Aero-Leather-Joint-Statement&p=1543903&viewfull=1#post1543903

Tho, way back in 1986-88 there was the odd batch of particularly heavy horse, but as Arnold Missner (the then president of Horween) explained that some of that horse that was in store was from old working cart horses, which is why it was so heavy, but its been WELL over 20 years since we've seen any of that and it had probably been sitting in store at Horween for 20 years at that point!
(The poster above, cloudylemonade, is the daughter of the founder of Aero leather.)

briancpotter

Reaction score
Interesting.

Also, re: that thread - criminal charges for leather misrepresentation, holy hell.

masernaut

Reaction score
I own a few pairs of vintage shells and believe the leather was of better quality back when. Though I only have my AE shells to compare. Alden and C&J quality could be a different matter.

I can't speak to the quality of construction.

Things to look out for: Really examine the quality of vintage shells on eBay. You don't want to end up with a dried out pair of shells that will be worthless in the end. Ask sellers if the shell is dry/cracked anywhere and if you require it, ask for more pictures in case theirs are not clear.

Last edited:

jerrybrowne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

VegTan

Reaction score
Both have no stitching on the tongues and are fully unlined loafers.

JTA

Reaction score

I own a few pairs of vintage shells and believe the leather was of better quality back when. Though I only have my AE shells to compare. Alden and C&J quality could be a different matter. 

I can't speak to the quality of construction.

Things to look out for: Really examine the quality of vintage shells on eBay. You don't want to end up with a dried out pair of shells that will be worthless in the end. Ask sellers if the shell is dry/cracked anywhere and if you require it, ask for more pictures in case theirs are not clear.

Would you mind to teach us more about this? Don't know what to look at through the pictures whether it's dry / cracked..

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How wide do you like your leg opening on your trousers?

• 7”

Votes: 60 17.4%
  • 7.5”

Votes: 115 33.3%
  • 8”

Votes: 104 30.1%
  • 8.5”

Votes: 36 10.4%
  • 9”

Votes: 14 4.1%
  • 9.5”

Votes: 7 2.0%