• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

actionjbone

Reaction score
They are special. Unicorn shell... mmmmm... sounds delicious.
Yes, a unicorn is equine, so I suppose you could produce shell from one.

actionjbone

Reaction score
Hey, @thomas199023 - I just finished, what do you think?

IMG_20191121_000048553.jpg

Edit: "finished" being relative, of course. I'm sure I'll do even more to smooth them out and shine them up over time, but the basic restoration work is done.

Last edited:

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I stopped counting. I believe I am at 61-70 pairs.

Nobleprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

How many pairs of all brands?

I’m down to about 105 pairs.

Florsheim, Alden, Allen Edmonds, Johnston Murphy, Footjoy, Hanover, Church's, Cole Haan, Bragano, and a few other single shoes from Chester Barrie, Lloyd and Haig, Trickers, and others I can't remember. About 85% of my shoes are vintage.

mormonopoly

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

My collection is at 76 right now.

Nobleprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, this morning I decided to wear my vintage Lloyd and Haig LWB. As I was putting them on, my shoe lace broke. I was running a little late for an appointment, so I picked out another pair of shoes. Today was the first time I have worn them after buying them at an estate a few months ago. When I go to an estate sale, I almost never find my size 11-11.5 Narrow. But, I did find two pair!

They are Johnston Murphy Aristocraft Saddles. The color is so dark I wondered if it was really dark brown or VERY dark burgundy. Either way, I am a sucker for all sorts of saddle shoes.

I put them on and while I was waiting for my appointment, I realized I needed to retie my right shoe. I attempted it AND THEY BROKE! Bad day for shoe laces for me.

IMG_0276.jpg IMG_0277.jpg

Luckily I have a few spare pairs at my office. So, I have a pair to wear today until I can get new laces.

Vintage Bragano (by Cole Haan) Made in Italy. Very comfortable, not exactly a late fall/winter shoe. But, they will suffice for the day:

IMG_0278.jpg IMG_0280.jpg

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
So, this morning I decided to wear my vintage Lloyd and Haig LWB. As I was putting them on, my shoe lace broke. I was running a little late for an appointment, so I picked out another pair of shoes. Today was the first time I have worn them after buying them at an estate a few months ago. When I go to an estate sale, I almost never find my size 11-11.5 Narrow. But, I did find two pair!

They are Johnston Murphy Aristocraft Saddles. The color is so dark I wondered if it was really dark brown or VERY dark burgundy. Either way, I am a sucker for all sorts of saddle shoes.

I put them on and while I was waiting for my appointment, I realized I needed to retie my right shoe. I attempted it AND THEY BROKE! Bad day for shoe laces for me.

View attachment 1284397 View attachment 1284398

Luckily I have a few spare pairs at my office. So, I have a pair to wear today until I can get new laces.

Vintage Bragano (by Cole Haan) Made in Italy. Very comfortable, not exactly a late fall/winter shoe. But, they will suffice for the day:

View attachment 1284399 View attachment 1284400
Clearly, the universe was trying to tell you to just stay home.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The classic 93602.

6EAE06DE-9C8E-4F40-8E2C-4F7FC65EA839.jpeg

Nobleprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I went to Brooks Brothers over lunch because I had to exchange some pants. I'm getting a little worried about Brooks Brothers. The khakis were too big even though they were a slimmer fit. The dress pants I got are the Madison (full cut) fit and they were WAY too small. This is the really worrying part. All the shoes this store had in stock were "made in Italy" and looked a little cheap. No more Peal & Co shoes. I went to a BB store in Seattle on Monday and they still had a few Peal and Co. shoes, but they were trying to sell them for $698 in limited sizes. The shoes here in Memphis were all priced at $298 but they were the cheaper Italian shoes. For years Alden made Brooks Brothers shoes, right? Or they used some Northhampton English maker for the others. Now, it looks like they are sort of cheaping out on shoes.

They also had a big sign saying they had a sale on the Brooksgate suits and they came with Suit, Shirt, tie, belt, and shoes for $799. But, it only included the cheap shoes and the suits are the entry level cheaply made versions.

kilowatts

Reaction score
I went to Brooks Brothers over lunch because I had to exchange some pants. I'm getting a little worried about Brooks Brothers. The khakis were too big even though they were a slimmer fit. The dress pants I got are the Madison (full cut) fit and they were WAY too small. This is the really worrying part. All the shoes this store had in stock were "made in Italy" and looked a little cheap. No more Peal & Co shoes. I went to a BB store in Seattle on Monday and they still had a few Peal and Co. shoes, but they were trying to sell them for $698 in limited sizes. The shoes here in Memphis were all priced at $298 but they were the cheaper Italian shoes. For years Alden made Brooks Brothers shoes, right? Or they used some Northhampton English maker for the others. Now, it looks like they are sort of cheaping out on shoes.

They also had a big sign saying they had a sale on the Brooksgate suits and they came with Suit, Shirt, tie, belt, and shoes for $799. But, it only included the cheap shoes and the suits are the entry level cheaply made versions.

Hi Guys:

I couldn't agree more. I was in Seattle last weekend, dropped into the flagship stores and was almost universally disappointed. Allen Edmonds had little stock and only the newer, lower quality styles. Brooks Brothers have now stopped selling made in USA shoes altogether and Nordstrom seems to be stuck in a weird Made in China fashion forward sneaker land! Prices are ridiculous but I guess they have to pay for the high rent, eh? If it wasn't for Brick and Mortar, who only sell Alden then I would have sat on the sidewalk and wept! Thank goodness for vintage shoes.

kilowatts

Last edited:

eTrojan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Possible vintage violation. 1998? 2008?

Black shell MacNeils today. It’s cooling down this week, so I’ve pulled the wool flannel pants out of the back of the closet and donned a camel hair sport coat.

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

PSU John

Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a good "coffee table" book on shoes. Looking for great pictures of course, and also more than lightweight text. Anyone care to comment on the worth of A Guy's Guide to Shoes by Bernhard Roetzel for example?

Also does anyone have the Brooks Brothers book Generations of Style (2nd ed.)

I have the recent Brooks Brothers - 200 Years of American Style book and its not bad but I wish it were more detailed.

Books are on my mind with the holidays coming up.

Thanks much, guys.

actionjbone

Reaction score
That's awesome, they look a lot better! How did you get rid of the mold?

It just took a thorough cleaning. Bick 1 is great at cleaning off pretty much everything from the surface. I use a facial scrubbing brush with soft nylon bristles, work up a bit of lather, and use a little pressure. For the inside, I just wiped down with alcohol.

Still a little musty smell inside, but the cedar will help with that.

By the way, has anyone else tried Blackrock on shell? It worked like magic for me.

Clearly, the universe was trying to tell you to just stay home.

Or wear loafers.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads