• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

radio3

Reaction score
Could you tell us more about the shoes - brand, leather type, condition, etc.? (And pictures would be great. They may or may not help, we just want to see them. :) )

There are lots of products, and not all leathers absorb them the same way.

I’d be happy to send a pic later but don’t have good lighting right now. The shoes I’m most scared to put the Renovateur on are a pair of TLB Mallorca tan monks. But I also feel it turned some handy medium brown Yankos I have into dark brown shoes that overlap with other I already had. Maybe they’ll lighten up again, but I don’t like it. Would prefer to using a less deep conditioner for regular use. Also would like to start using a cleaner as well, which I haven’t been.

davidVC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I posted here about these shoes a few years but I was looking at them again this weekend. They are short wing bluchers made for Lefcourt by (i believe) Crockett and Jones. Probably in the 1960s.

What's unusual about them is the triple sole. Obviously.

But look at the stitching in the third photo. The guy started some of the lines well but then needed to get somewhere. Fast.

IMG_8003.JPG

IMG_8029.JPG

IMG_8009.JPG

IMG_8026.JPG

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’m having problems with Saphir Renovateur darkening some of my shoes too much. Could anyone recommend their favorite leather cleaner and leather conditioner? I’m in Europe and don’t seem to be able to find Lexol or Venetian Shoe Cream. I guess they are American and get talked about a lot on web sites because so many are American.

Any other suggestions besides those 3? I’m surprised there aren’t some famous British products, for one.

This thread really likes: Bickmore 4 and Collonil 1909. Bick 4 doesn't darken and is cheaper in North America. Collonil 1909 has a great neutral colour paste, so I assume the conditioner is also decent.

Others also use Black and Rock Leather Honey.

For a German product, I also use Renapur. It is reserved for heavier winter boots and doesn't seem to darken anything.

For cleaner, do you mean something to strip and remove? I use Saphir Renomat. Others use acetone. But these are extreme. If just light dirt or mud, or salt stains, I take a damp cloth and some warm water, and clean the leather. Then condition.

cetrio

Reaction score
I posted here about these shoes a few years but I was looking at them again this weekend. They are short wing bluchers made for Lefcourt by (i believe) Crockett and Jones. Probably in the 1960s.

But look at the stitching in the third photo. The guy started some of the lines well but then needed to get somewhere. Fast.

View attachment 1230389

View attachment 1230391

They look very nice !

Here are vintage Church's Burwood on which I did a rosewood patina

67101354_118529212842267_1772053759204919396_n.jpg

67751259_227740494808949_3971601354198615591_n.jpg

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

View attachment 1230389

View attachment 1230392

View attachment 1230390

View attachment 1230391

In sewing terms that is known as skipping a stitch. It is usually caused by threading the machine incorrectly, a bent needle or a bobbin issue.

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Looking forward to the arrival of these 1950s 'Lee Kee' Hong Kong handmade beauties. Notice the pegged sole!

Attachments

• 1566915021066.png
    1566915021066.png
    823.5 KB · Views: 29

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
AE shark Nassaus. Where they lose points for the square toe they gain points for being made of sharkskin. Enjoy the day.
752A79B9-5153-4338-AEAC-F2BBFB9FF64B.jpeg

actionjbone

Reaction score
What the Hell are these things made of?

Actual question.

IMG_20190827_204133465.jpg

These are some of the last U.S.-made Dexters. I got them from a Dexter outlet store when they still had outlet stores.

I knew they were overpolished and was pretty sure they were CG. So I sat down to strip off the old polish, and maybe the finish. But, as you can see on the left side, once I stripped the shoe down, the finish wouldn't come off.

Did Dexter make fully synthetic dress shoes at the end? Have I been walking in plastic shoes all these years, and somehow I never noticed? That's the only explanation I can think of.

It would explain why they were so good in the rain...

happypebble

Reaction score
Those Dexters look good. They make me think that Alden or Allen Edmonds should make shoes of Corfam.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads