• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

CWOyaji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gap uses the lighter weight Kaihara selvedge from Japan for some jeans and jackets, with the stitching done in China. I've worn through a few pairs of those within a year or so of use, but you get what you pay for. Lately I've been collecting heavier weight selvedge, including a couple of pairs of Gustins and this pair from Tellason, which uses denim from the last production of the Cone Mill. They were the last US producer of selvedge. The plant was located in North Carolina and closed a couple of years ago. Tellason is based in San Francisco and they do denim right. If you like high quality jeans I recommend setting up a search in your size on Ebay for some of their jeans and trying them out for yourself. These were mint and only $75 versus the MSRP of $230.
583BB005-FF8E-4BA0-9732-D7384F1F9FEC.jpeg

This is it; they're not making this fabric in the US anymore. Thank private equity and financial engineering for that. Blah.
3FE7D650-2B38-441F-918F-CAEF40A0C7B3.jpeg

Next trip to Japan, I'll be going to Kojima and will call ahead for some fittings at the shops there for some OG selvedge.

Last edited:

Hotel Cali

Reaction score
If it’s not too much to ask, could you share some more pics of the McHale pair? I’m super curious. It certainly understandable that McHale made golf shoes, but I don’t see that often.

Here was the discussion in the Canadian shoes thread.

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gap uses the lighter weight Kaihara selvedge from Japan for some jeans and jackets, with the stitching done in China. I've worn through a few pairs of those within a year or so of use, but you get what you pay for. Lately I've been collecting heavier weight selvedge, including a couple of pairs of Gustins and this pair from Tellason, which uses denim from the last production of the Cone Mill. They were the last US producer of selvedge. The plant was located in North Carolina and closed a couple of years ago. Tellason is based in San Francisco and they do denim right. If you like high quality jeans I recommend setting up a search in your size on Ebay for some of their jeans and trying them out for yourself. These were mint and only $75 versus the MSRP of $230.
View attachment 1591575
This is it; they're not making this fabric in the US anymore. Thank private equity and financial engineering for that. Blah.
View attachment 1591576
Next trip to Japan, I'll be going to Kojima and will call ahead for some fittings at the shops there for some OG selvedge.
I’ve tried selvedge jeans a few times. They almost never fit me well me well (I have an athletic build - that’s not a humble brag). When they do fit OK, I somehow mess them up. So I’ve gone to the other end of the spectrum and purchased “advanced fabric” jeans like Revtown. I like them. I have to say that selvedge appeals to me. Every pair I had when I was a kid was “raw” at the beginning of the school year. The break in by the end of the year was great... grass stains and all.

Nobleprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I found these HS Trask Navy Loafers at a thrift store last week. I really like the natural edge treatment on these. I sometimes forget how nice some vintage Trask shoes are. I have a couple other pairs and I really like them.

I also like the white stitching on these. They are pretty casual but the presence of the stitching means I probably can’t ever use Navy cream polish on these. I used some Bick 4 and that worked so far.

8613BF4A-E51E-46BA-ACF1-B297E8FC9CEA.jpeg
DF4D73D3-1161-4AC6-AE29-C625A5F8ED42.jpeg

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
I found these HS Trask Navy Loafers at a thrift store last week. I really like the natural edge treatment on these. I sometimes forget how nice some vintage Trask shoes are. I have a couple other pairs and I really like them.

I also like the white stitching on these. They are pretty casual but the presence of the stitching means I probably can’t ever use Navy cream polish on these. I used some Bick 4 and that worked so far.

View attachment 1591779 View attachment 1591780

Those look a lot like Rancourt to me. Does it say where they are made on the lining?

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
I will probably throw a bid on these. I think they are vintage Cole-Hann Imperial of alligator and maybe shell cordovan.

View attachment 1591604
View attachment 1591605

Can anyone help me id if they are real alligator and shell cordovan. (Not much info or response from the seller.)

Can't comment on the gator but they do look like shell on the saddles to me. Hard to be absolutely sure but judging by the eyelets it's a reasonable judgment, I think.

pasadena man

Supporting Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1591779 View attachment 1591780
I really like Trask as well. I've had a number of pairs of their bison loafers. Great textural interest, good quality and durability, a more rustic design that matches the rough bison texture; sort of like Alden's illegitimate country cousin to me.

Nobleprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those look a lot like Rancourt to me. Does it say where they are made on the lining?
I really like Trask as well. I've had a number of pairs of their bison loafers. Great textural interest, good quality and durability, a more rustic design that matches the rough bison texture; sort of like Alden's illegitimate country cousin to me.

@stook1 Dang. I was hoping you were right that they are Rancourt. But, I just checked and they say Genuine Handsewn and Made in Mexico. Bummer. (I’m not saying anything bad about MexicoI was hoping it said “USA” or even Maine.

I have at least two other Trask and one was Made in USA. The other pair (white suede Bucks) also say Genuine Handsewn but were made in Portugal.

@pasadena man Mine are Bison loafers too. I think that is what Trask is known for. I, too, really like the texture and interest. Bison seems to wear forever.

My one complaint about the Trask loafers is strange. The structure is a little loose (I have had them for a long time). Sometimes, I almost fall off the sole to the side. I’m probably not describing it well. But, if my step is a little off, my foot can slide to the outside and my foot tips over to the side. Again, hard to describe.

My brother (who is not like us because he has a total of 7 pairs of shoes) also has a pair of Trask. They are plain toe and are Bison. I was surprised he would have a pair that is fairly obscure compared with many others.

Last edited:

CWOyaji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
J&M tassel gators
C35E1BD7-35C4-46D0-BC2A-790ACF49B6B9.jpeg

These were listed as embossed leather, but the umbilical scars up on the vamps are a telltale sign they’re real.
image.jpg

Custom made for somebody.
image.jpg

Last edited:

Nobleprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh man! I am so excited. I got pictures back from the Cobbler on my Florsheim Bison LWB and the 1959 Florsheim Alligator/Crocodile Derby.

4E47A931-1A80-4ED6-A8B9-D7CDF8F02784.jpeg
B116C14D-0EDF-4C2A-9A7A-4E10D03FB344.jpeg
292433DD-AD4E-4B50-BA28-24F62A5C1F74.jpeg
98209354-9DDE-45E4-87AC-229B6BBD868E.jpeg
B0D81810-4277-42C8-BC20-FFC5F9A59466.jpeg
7CA3540B-6F9D-4EB7-9F68-3496FB282088.jpeg

mormonopoly

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads