• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I started work on a new watch band that I am making from some shell LWBs I found when thrifting. I felt they had issues and I decided to move forward. I removed then entire upper, removed the toe cap and then cut out large sections for the band. I will be trimming them down to the proper size. A watch is pictured to give some idea of the size they will eventually need to be.

View attachment 1422289

View attachment 1422291
It’s interesting to look at the internals of an LB Sheppard: they’re remarkably leather intensive. Leather inside leather inside leather. Very interesting to compare them to some of the contract shoes they made, which might have similar workmanship, but were made from minimal amounts of leather.

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Damnit! Now I need to cancel on my surgeon. That didn't occur me.
ikGTMp3.jpg

CWOyaji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I promise to stop posting about these American Gentleman LWBs but I am really struck by the resemblance to the Alden 979 which is on the Barrie last.
7E409694-1A2A-4485-86E8-BDABB1536E99.jpeg

Even the medallion design is almost the same. Double oak soles, too. The gator heel patches are in place and give a nice easy slide on the way in and no rubbing while walking around.
A8F7B5EA-B312-4804-A20E-7F6BF7330DB6.jpeg

Joe Wohkittel

Reaction score
I dunno, I don’t think those are 30’s; look late 50’s to me. Quality is so-so.

Compare to my early 50’s NOS Weyenberg’s (please excuse the conditioner in the brogueing and pinking):
l8JHxeU.jpg

mJ3dwOH.jpg

o6ERrLU.jpg

Or my French Shriner & Urner’s:
3U0p81I.jpg

P3uxyp5.jpg

ZZAdvJu.jpg

The details on those Wolverines aren’t great. Interior linings are weirdly synthetic looking and are poorly stitched around the interior collar:
oD1dzKv.jpg

The welt finishing and stitching, when examined closely, isn’t super well executed (it actually pretty wonky in places):
xpKoZR0.jpg

In comparison to the Weyenberg’s and French Shriner and Urner’s, these are pretty lackluster. I don’t personally care that the soles are made of shell... that’s kinda the wrong part of the shoe for me to care about that - they did that because these were “foreman” shoes, for heavy wear on construction sites, etc.

They’d be a neat vintage addition at 150 bucks, but at 1,500, the seller is smoking 98% pure crystal meth.
maxresdefault.jpg
Agreed, they are not older than the 50s and the price is absurd. What was surprising to me is that the soles are stamped "shell horsehide soles". Is it possible to tan shells into sole leather? Since shell is non-porous, I wouldn't think so. If it is possible, why would someone do this?

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Agreed, they are not older than the 50s and the price is absurd. What was surprising to me is that the soles are stamped "shell horsehide soles". Is it possible to tan shells into sole leather? Since shell is non-porous, I wouldn't think so. If it is possible, why would someone do this?

Yes, shell has been used for soles. "Only Wolverine have both soles and uppers of Shell Horsehide - and that's not news."

Screen Shot 2020-07-11 at 8.45.56 PM.png

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Shell Cordovan. Cost less to wear per week - per month - per year.

My bank account takes exception. That aside --- what a cool ad.

Well, there is a strong chance that you purchase more pairs of shell shoes than the average farmer. ;)

Hotel Cali

Reaction score
Last edited:

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I promise to stop posting about these American Gentleman LWBs but I am really struck by the resemblance to the Alden 979 which is on the Barrie last. View attachment 1422470
Even the medallion design is almost the same. Double oak soles, too. The gator heel patches are in place and give a nice easy slide on the way in and no rubbing while walking around.
View attachment 1422472

The Gentleman is a sharper last. Alden typically bulbous...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads