• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The problem is Florsheim, as a brand, can no longer support premium pricing and thus can't support the cost of 1st world labor. Today they are a value / fast fashion brand that sells 100 dollar (at best) shoes, with a few overpriced made-in-India GY welted shoes (that are only of middling construction) and a few questionable Italian made models (which are either blake or glued). The average shoe buyer today doesn't recall what Florsheim used to be.

In 1988, if you mentioned Florsheim to someone, this is what might have come to mind:
uKzllaJ.jpg

Imperials, bal-wingtip, circa ~ '88. Yeah, I know it's CG, but I don't care 'cause I love 'em (and got them cheap as NOS about 3 years ago). I've worn them quite a bit (including to an event today) and they're holding up well (other than I need to put taps front and back - NYC sidewalks are brutal

In 2018, if you mention Florsheim to someone, this is more likely what they will think of (you may not want to see what follows):

YqlY4yp.jpg

I got these horrors a few years ago (clearance on Amazon or Zappos) to fit my heavily bandaged foot (in the latter stages of an injury recovery). The interior lining started disintegrating almost immediately due to the paper thin leather. Oddly, the exterior leather of the uppers are actually not terrible (though the leather is thin - still a waste on these hideously ugly goober shoes). I primarily use them in the garage, yard and at the park with the kids, or anyplace where I absolutely cannot afford to care about my shoes.

What a fall for Florsheim in the past 40 years. It’s like a 3 star restaurant went downhill and now only sells bad hotdogs.

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
These are the Alden 994s from yesterday, they cleaned up pretty good. Sorry, they are N/A.
View attachment 980650
Car potato pic, as I got them yesterday.
View attachment 980653
After brushing and a Lexol bath, before sleeping overnight with trees in to smooth out the rolls.
View attachment 980654
Then today Saphir Renovateur, AE Cordovan cream, brushing and polishing with lots of elbow grease.
View attachment 980686
View attachment 980672
Oh I'd say they cleaned up beautifully. Job well done.

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What a fall for Florsheim in the past 40 years. It’s like a 3 star restaurant went downhill and now only sells bad hotdogs.

Yeah, they're those squishy baloney tasting ones that have that disconcerting texture, so that when you bite into them, it's instant regret and disappointment.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I gotta ask, how is one supposed to wear a shoe with a tear like that? That's a high-stress point, will only get worse is not addressed and it seems like a tricky place to attempt a patch.

I just spoke to a reputable cobbler. He says it can be fixed for $55-75 (Canadian).

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They're beautiful shoes so I'm glad a cobbler can do something for them as they deserve a good home.

Steve Doudaklian from Bedos says $48 US for the work. Look at his pics on Facebook. A true craftsman! Plus our leader @smfdoc has used him before.

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
First off, those things are nice... the 4 last's proportions work really well with that derby wingtip style. I'm surprised this model was only around for two years.

Secondly, based on the branding on the soles and insoles, the style and density of the welt stitch (and color), these are almost certainly inside the 95-97 window of the their catalog appearance.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Steve Doudaklian from Bedos says $48 US for the work. Look at his pics on Facebook. A true craftsman! Plus our leader @smfdoc has used him before.

I agree. I would absolutely use Steve for the job over anyone that I know. I’m glad to see his prices are competitive as well. Even if he was higher, it would be worth the cost.

Now, about this title of being the “leader“, I’m not sure about that. I remember getting a members only jacket in the 1980s and I loved it until all the other members got together, voted, and made me give it back.

crgraham32

Reaction score
First off, those things are nice... the 4 last's proportions work really well with that derby wingtip style. I'm surprised this model was only around for two years.

Secondly, based on the branding on the soles and insoles, the style and density of the welt stitch (and color), these are almost certainly inside the 95-97 window of the their catalog appearance.

Thanks! I'm very happy with them. They've had some tender loving care from me with Saphir products once I got them, but they showed up pretty nice. Not bad for $51.00 on ebay ($61.00 shipped)!

Last edited:

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Now, about this title of being the “leader“, I’m not sure about that. I remember getting a members only jacket in the 1980s and I loved it until all the other members got together, voted, and made me give it back.

So what you're saying is... you put it on and something happened?

5a7c608049d1021fedd06626914d1d8b--windbreaker-fashion-styles.jpg

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks! They've had some tender loving care from me with Saphir products once I got them, but they showed up pretty nice. Not bad for $51.00 on ebay ($61.00 shipped)!
That's the best part... you get them, you unbox them and you get to work making them beautiful again. And given the sole wear and insole condition, those things haven't been worn much. Between (carefully done) resoles and full recrafts, those shoes have more than 97% of their useful lifespan left in them.

About half my collection was bought new, half from eBay finds and such. All my favorite pairs are like yours; rare, long-forgotten models that are almost always underused and reasonably priced because they aren't current or long-standing popular models. It's the rare, short-lived models - or those that were once popular but now dwindling in numbers - that make for the most interesting shoes.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree. I would absolutely use Steve for the job over anyone that I know. I’m glad to see his prices are competitive as well. Even if he was higher, it would be worth the cost.

If you're not our leader, then I am the King of England.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads