• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There hasn’t been much activity on here recently. It’s really noticeable on Wingtip Wednesday. Is everyone on late summer vacation?
As for me, I've been on permanent work-from-home since March so I haven't been wearing my vintage shoes very often... and taking pictures of them even less frequently.

I still visit this thread daily for inspiration, but haven't been posting much lately.

I've been on vacation for the last 2 weeks and only wearing a pair of Alden Indys.

Once I'm back next week, the shoes are back in rotation. Until the first snow. That could be middle of December or last week of September. And the boot collection is only put away when the snow ends. Which could be end of April or beginning of June.

And yeah, WFH means I only wear shoes for my daily walks. Otherwise my WFH indoor collection draws detractors and accusations of heresy and blasphemy.

Nobleprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As for me, I've been on permanent work-from-home since March so I haven't been wearing my vintage shoes very often... and taking pictures of them even less frequently.

I still visit this thread daily for inspiration, but haven't been posting much lately.
I've been on vacation for the last 2 weeks and only wearing a pair of Alden Indys.

Once I'm back next week, the shoes are back in rotation. Until the first snow. That could be middle of December or last week of September. And the boot collection is only put away when the snow ends. Which could be end of April or beginning of June.

And yeah, WFH means I only wear shoes for my daily walks. Otherwise my WFH indoor collection draws detractors and accusations of heresy and blasphemy.

Ha! I understand completely. I’m on a 3 day work at the office and 2 days at home.

When I’m at home, I usually wear some Hoka flip flops which are ugly as hell, but comfortable and easy.

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
AE shell MacNeils today
F7C51F6F-6F32-4A74-9F50-568166A31130.jpeg
E1E794BE-F02B-450C-BA3D-816312CB001F.jpeg

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Happy PTB Friday forum pals. Nothing special about these Florsheims other than they fit me well and I am trying to pick up the amount of content for the thread. The blue dye job LWBs are looking great and pictures when they are finished.

IMG_2233.jpg

Satoman1

Reaction score
Happy Florsheim Friday!
My new-thrifted Florsheim 92604, Date code DB with U-shaped footbed sponge so probably made in April 1961
IMG_20220924_0039162.jpg

Reaction score
I have a pair of Church's custom grade monkstrap shoes. Admittedly I haven't been taking care of them over the last few years. They have a few scuffs on them but nothing crazy. What type of wax should I be applying to them? They're my only pair of custom grade Church's and I'm wondering if they require a special care routine.

MathMan314

Reaction score
New arrival for me today: Florsheim Imperial tassel loafers. These are a touch narrow for me (because they are an 11B instead of my usual 10.5 C or D), which is why I started the stretching process right away. I think I can get these stretched in time for Tassel Tuesday!
20220923_154557.jpg

20220923_154818.jpg

In other news, I am hoping to finish my homemade "Golden Harvest" project this weekend. I did one shoe about a month ago and then got so busy with the start of the school year that I didn't finish the other yet.
20220923_165522.jpg

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Okay, this is the final post about once brown, then purplish blue then blue Florsheim LWBs. This post falls under the advice and tips purpose of the thread as it seems little is out there on the interwebs. I shall spoiler it to avoid being a real pain in the ... shoes.

First, the problematic purple haze after dying the shoes royal blue. Full sun. The purple being produced by excessive pigment that dried on application. Or so I have been told online.

IMG_1835 2.jpg

Multiple sessions of brushing with pig bristle brush and applications of Bick 4, which pulled a great amount of blue off the shoes. Same location, full sun. Definite reduction of the purple and back to a blue.

IMG_2231 2.JPG

Then, two applications of Resolene to cover the dyed areas and this was very effective at sealing the leather and stopping the color bleed from the bleed. This did add shine and also darkened the color somewhat even though it is a neutral product. Less direct sun as well helps make it darker.

IMG_2237.jpg

Overall, the brushing, buffing and Resolene really helped remove the purple and I am now far happier to wear them.

I also cleaned and added Resolene to another pair I dyed to get to the chestnut Florsheims that were never made in my size. Again, the added steps were done and then the Resolene improved them.

IMG_2235.jpg

pasadena man

Supporting Member
Reaction score

It’s sobering that some of the thought leaders on this thread are dialing back on wearing good shoes. I have been, if anything, moving slightly in the other direction. I usually WFH except when I have meetings or conferences, and did so before the pandemic.

I make a point of putting on “work clothes” when I sit down at my desk in the morning. These usually include an OCBD and lace up leather shoes of the sort found on this thread. I tend to keep them on during the day unless or until I start working out.

Wearing work clothes in an unstructured work environment helps me to stay focused, disciplined, and to think better.

And when I say think better, I mean think better. It’s Science, it’s a fact Jack. Its called “Embodied cognition” https://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/03/science/clothes-and-self-perception.html

You can google it.

So I look better, feel better, and think better. I can’t afford not to wear good shoes.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
New arrival for me today: Florsheim Imperial tassel loafers. These are a touch narrow for me (because they are an 11B instead of my usual 10.5 C or D), which is why I started the stretching process right away. I think I can get these stretched in time for Tassel Tuesday!
View attachment 1835660
View attachment 1835661

In other news, I am hoping to finish my homemade "Golden Harvest" project this weekend. I did one shoe about a month ago and then got so busy with the start of the school year that I didn't finish the other yet.
View attachment 1835677

That GH conversion is really coming along nicely.

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Alden shell NSTs.
E54C44A3-3A59-4201-9FE2-6FBEDDFF3913.jpeg
532C5D35-1195-4D33-A6CA-6B211088799D.jpeg

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Did you insert the eyelets or did they come that way?
I installed them. It was a DIY job in response to slight cracking on the eyelets.

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wore these Keith Highlanders on Tuesday.
D54D3A05-039D-409C-A7F5-767CE416C766.jpeg
370B1D6A-2AF6-4117-BFC4-81B715DCF11A.jpeg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads