• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Vincent George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Corderoy in the dead heat of summer?

Also, is that in the NYC subway?

Corner of Tremont and School Street (Boston) near the Omni Parker House.

My wife also thinks I’m crazy for summer cording, but we had a nice, brisk sub 80 degree day and I had to do it.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Corner of Tremont and School Street (Boston) near the Omni Parker House.

My wife also thinks I’m crazy for summer cording, but we had a nice, brisk sub 80 degree day and I had to do it.

Very nice. Boston has the same yellow bumpy stuff as we have on the subway.

Corderoy is fantastic but that's exclusively a non-summer wear. We were 93 and 90 percent humidity today. Y u c k.

CWOyaji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Warren Buffett called his acquisition of Dexter the “worst deal of his life.” ?
I made a passing attempt to estimate how bad a deal that was for him a few years ago:
While we're on the subject of Dexter... BTW if anyone wants to correct my math, please have at it.

The $8 billion dollar shoes.
This is a pair of Dexter 217644 Made in USA longwings. They're an acceptable quality shoe. And they should be, because each pair probably cost about the company’s owners about $2,000. Which is more than the $8.99 they cost me at St. Vincent de Paul.

In 1993 Warren Buffett’s investment company Berkshire Hathaway bought the Dexter Shoe Company for $443 million in Berkshire shares, about 1.6% of the company. At today’s market capitalization of $506 billion*, in the unlikely event that none of the shareholders of Dexter Shoe have sold any of their stock, they would be holding shares valued at about $8.1 billion.

Dexter continued making some shoes in the US when they finally closed the last plant in Maine and sadly laid off the remaining 500 workers. So at today’s share price, in the eight year period between acquisition in 1993 and offshoring all production in 2001, they spent about $1 billion a year in shareholder value on this business. The numbers were smaller back then of course, and writing down some of the goodwill (excess of purchase price over the marked-way-down value of the acquired assets) yielded some tax benefits, but it was a drop in the bucket.

I don’t know how many pairs of shoes Dexter made per year in the US during that period. But if (big assumption, but stay with me) they were selling as many as Allen Edmonds was in 2011, 500,000 pairs a year, then they made 4 million pairs. So the present day $8 billion cost of the company divided by 4 million pairs produced in the US works out to $2,026 per pair. Naturally that figure reflects the strong performance of Berkshire Hathaway stock more than what they actually spent to make these shoes. Still a compelling example of the effect cheaper overseas labor has had on manufacturing in the US.

Despite all this, I really do want to give credit to Mr. Buffett. He’s a good sport. He has humorously lamented the mistake he made in this investment in his annual letter from time to time, but to my knowledge he never tried to get protection via tariffs to save the business. They just took production offshore, and the company eventually became profitable again, but the quality is not the same.

Still, there is something about Dexter that makes people dream. This model, the 217644, once made its way onto a list of shell cordovan shoes despite actually being made of so-so quality calf leather. They are commonly represented as being shell cordovan and in some instances sell for about 5X what they probably would if they were being described correctly. They are a good looking shoe; not worth overpaying for though.

*As of August 13, 2018, per Google Finance
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...hoe-his-worst-deal-ever-idUSN2921504820080301

Vincent George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Corderoy is fantastic but that's exclusively a non-summer wear. We were 93 and 90 percent humidity today. Y u c k.
I’m not built for summer. I simply exist in it.

CWOyaji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Take your wife to lunch in the Omni Parker House Restaurant and be sure to get Table 40, it's where JFK proposed to Jackie O. Also, Ho Chi Minh worked as a pastry chef in the kitchen of that hotel way back when, according to the brochure I read when Mrs. Oyaji and I stayed there a few years ago.

Last edited:

Vincent George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Take your wife to lunch in the Omni Parker House Restaurant and be sure to get Table 43, it's where JFK proposed to Jackie O. Also, Ho Chi Minh worked as a pastry chef in the kitchen of that hotel way back when. I read it in the brochure when Mrs. Oyaji and I stayed there a few years ago.
We had an anniversary dinner there a few years back. Very nicely done potatoes.

CWOyaji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's a nice place and centrally located with lots of stories. God knows I ate enough potatoes growing up in Boston to last me a lifetime. Don't recall ordering them at the Parker House, but I did share a Boston Cream Pie with my wife, along with some coffee that probably came from Dunkin'.

Last edited:

Vincent George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's a nice place and centrally located with lots of stories. God knows I ate enough potatoes growing up in Boston to last me a lifetime. Don't recall ordering them at the Parker House, but I did share some Boston Cream Pie with my wife, along with some coffee that probably came from Dunkin'.

I F*CKIN LOVE DUNKIN GUY

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's a nice place and centrally located with lots of stories. God knows I ate enough potatoes growing up in Boston to last me a lifetime. Don't recall ordering them at the Parker House, but I did share some Boston Cream Pie with my wife, along with some coffee that probably came from Dunkin'.

I f——— love Dunkin’… whaddaya talkin ‘bout?

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’m not built for summer. I simply exist in it.

The summer humidity in my area (Toronto region) is comparable to Asia. And I have family in Asia where the humidity gives me PTSD.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads