• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

davidVC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This conversation about Brannocks piqued my curiosity. Went to eBay and found this rather unique Brannock device with Hanover branding. NML.

BTW, I bought the vintage Brannock with the Weyenberg branding.

I bought a brannock device too a few years back. You can get one for around $30 on ebay. There is usually a number for sale.

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fresh out of the USPS box... 93605s that look to have been worn maybe twice. At $199 plus shipping this is a pretty, pretty, pretty good score. My initial inspection reveals no cracking or dryness. The stitching is fantastic even compared to other vintage Florsheims. The right shoe is a lot darker than the right and that’s because these do not come from the same pair! Check out the difference in date and pair codes. The sole wear looks the same, suggesting that they were worn together. Hmm... is this cause for concern? I may be able to fix the color difference with acetone. I’m mostly fired up about these.
6E028892-8902-4A29-BAF9-ACC338FE2738.jpeg
5EB9F4AE-74AE-456B-B015-3437FE54F7EC.jpeg
61F1C9C2-650E-419B-AD9B-E6F8A57F14A7.jpeg
AB0E8597-1BF8-4C80-9C6A-4A098663F1AE.jpeg
93791FDF-9051-4059-A2BC-F4B285693857.jpeg

Last edited:

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Not that I need to push this issue further, I was once at a Louis Vuitton store with an old flame. She didn't become Mrs. SFC.

As she shopped for bags, I was checking out their shoes. They were all north of $900. I asked a SA if any of them were GYW. He had a blank stare. He dutifully spoke to his colleagues. Finally a manager intervened and indicated they sell high end well made shoes. I showed them price points of John Lobb, Edward Greens, and Alden.

None of them had ever heard of those brands, let alone know what GYW was.

My dad used to tell me that at the Florsheim store in Hong Kong, the SA were dedicated professionals who knew their products inside and out. They even once called a US store to locate a specific size and style not available in Asia. They had it shipped to HK at costs. The store also had a complimentary shining service and repair shop.

The stockist that sold Dacks was likely the most impressive. He would discuss the latest NHL scores and his favourite Canadian beer brands. In the days without the internet. He actually had to research and experience the things he had knowledge about.

The days of those types of SA are swept into the crevices of history along with our favourite brands.

The lack of expertise is widespread. I was with some family at a steak house in Texas and my brother in law asked the waitress what wines they offered. She happily said, “Oh, we carry all three kinds of wine: Red, white and paink.” (Paink, not pink.)

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
Fresh out of the USPS box... 93605s that look to have been worn maybe twice. At $199 plus shipping this is a pretty, pretty, pretty good score. My initial inspection reveals no cracking or dryness. The stitching is fantastic even compared to other vintage Florsheims. The right shoe is a lot darker than the right and that’s because these do not come from the same pair! Check out the difference in date and pair codes. The sole wear looks the same, suggesting that they were worn together. Hmm... is this cause for concern? I may be able to fix the color difference with acetone. I’m mostly fired up about these. View attachment 1397632 View attachment 1397633 View attachment 1397634 View attachment 1397635 View attachment 1397636

They look great! Glad you are happy with them.

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yep yep.

For the record, I rather like Suitsupply. They fit me well off the rack. I’ve had a good find or two on eBay to boot. But, yes, The people who work in those stores are super pompous. Usually when people act like that, they are compensating for their own lack of the qualities they they try so hard to project.
(Note, excuse silly pictures with background toys and such, my 5 year old went through a “daddy morning fashion-shoot“ phase last year, each day before I’d leave for the office; its the closest that I’ll get to pulling off WAYWRN shots.)

I own bespoke wonders:
rTqgwzF.jpg

dOthtc2.jpg

And Suit Supply:
34ZJYYF.jpg

Obviously, the bespoke stuff, which costs many times more than the Suit Supply suit, fits better (and feels better), but for what it costs, the Suit Supply stuff is pretty good. Better than Men’s Whorehouse and such. Though you do have to make sure you’re okay with a slightly more fashion-forward profile.

hamercha

Reaction score
I hate to say this (because I’m not trying to sound mean spirited or anything), but folks working at AE retail stores aren’t highly-trained professionals. They’re retail sales employees, who are given very basic sales training, and are essentially no different than the retail sales associates selling handbags in the store next door.

The era of the shoe (or other type of) salesman, with some degree of learned expertise, spending his “career” selling shoes in an independent store, is long gone. The person selling you a shoe at an AE Store, will be over at Macy’s selling housewares, two months later if it means an extra 3 bucks an hour.

There might be exceptions, but I wouldn’t trust most of these AE sales associates to measure my feet correctly or understand last shapes, any more than I’d trust the drones at BestBuy to understand the technology they’re told to push. They’re just their to facilitate a transaction, not much else.

"but folks working at AE retail stores aren’t highly-trained professionals. They’re retail sales employees, who are given very basic sales training, and are essentially no different than the retail sales associates selling handbags in the store next door.

The era of the shoe (or other type of) salesman, with some degree of learned expertise, spending his “career” selling shoes in an independent store, is long gone. The person selling you a shoe at an AE Store, will be over at Macy’s selling housewares, two months later if it means an extra 3 bucks an hour."

You took word out of my mouth. Even 20 years ago, it was rare to find a sales people who can fit you. Most of what I see even back then in the store can only tell whether it match with your outfit or not. Department stores sales people are worse.

Also, most of the store only stock shoes in fewer width and sizes. On top of that if the sales person's salary is tied mostly to the sales, they have incentive to sale what they have in stock which pushes them not be honest and fit the shoes what is right for their customer. My two cents working in an independant store that stock most of the styles in wide varieties of size and paid not tied to the sales.

Last edited:

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
(Note, excuse silly pictures with background toys and such, my 5 year old went through a “daddy morning fashion-shoot“ phase last year, each day before I’d leave for the office; its the closest that I’ll get to pulling off WAYWRN shots.)

I own bespoke wonders:
rTqgwzF.jpg

dOthtc2.jpg

And Suit Supply:
34ZJYYF.jpg

Obviously, the bespoke stuff, which costs many times more than the Suit Supply suit, fits better (and feels better), but for what it costs, the Suit Supply stuff is pretty good. Better than Men’s Whorehouse and such. Though you do have to make sure you’re okay with a slightly more fashion-forward profile.
Funny, I always pictured you as having a bag on your head, rather than no head.

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fresh out of the USPS box... 93605s that look to have been worn maybe twice. At $199 plus shipping this is a pretty, pretty, pretty good score. My initial inspection reveals no cracking or dryness. The stitching is fantastic even compared to other vintage Florsheims. The right shoe is a lot darker than the right and that’s because these do not come from the same pair! Check out the difference in date and pair codes. The sole wear looks the same, suggesting that they were worn together. Hmm... is this cause for concern? I may be able to fix the color difference with acetone. I’m mostly fired up about these. View attachment 1397632 View attachment 1397633 View attachment 1397634 View attachment 1397635 View attachment 1397636
Interesting... I wonder what the history of this “pair(?)” is? They sure are pretty, though.

CWOyaji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Man I was looking for tassel loafers on eBay literally today- do you have an alert set up? Great score.
I do have an alert set up, but I turned off the email notifications because they were too distracting. These just popped up and were my size, so why not. I've been selling some backlog on Ebay and cash was piling up in my PayPal account, so time to indulge a little bit.
F3DD1F09-D569-4C59-9443-F39E82C9012A_1_201_a.jpeg
3FAFB77C-D6B8-4B6D-B70A-CF80D86A2C2A_4_5005_c.jpeg

Last edited:

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
"but folks working at AE retail stores aren’t highly-trained professionals. They’re retail sales employees, who are given very basic sales training, and are essentially no different than the retail sales associates selling handbags in the store next door.

The era of the shoe (or other type of) salesman, with some degree of learned expertise, spending his “career” selling shoes in an independent store, is long gone. The person selling you a shoe at an AE Store, will be over at Macy’s selling housewares, two months later if it means an extra 3 bucks an hour."

You took word out of my mouth. Even 20 years ago, it was rare to find a sales people who can fit you. Most of what I see even back then in the store can only tell whether it match with your outfit or not. Department stores sales people are worse.

Also, most of the store only stock shoes in fewer width and sizes. On top of that if the sales person's salary is tied mostly to the sales, they have incentive to sale what they have in stock which pushes them not be honest and fit the shoes what is right for their customer. My two cents working in an independant store that stock most of the styles in wide varieties of size and paid not tied to the sales.

Like Al Bundy right?... ;)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads