• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

kilowatts

Reaction score
Once you try the "see thru butt" you'll never go back.
Hi Guys:
IMG_1636.JPG

I'm a bit late for the split toe day but these are one of my pairs. AE sharks.

Also, I actually did try the "speedo & LWB" look in Maui last year. It' not really a good look for me! I caught a lot of people looking at me but not in a good way!

kilowatts

IMG_1636.JPG

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Folks- what do you think of the Leeds? I’m considering getting a pair in black shell.

I am a fan of PTBs, only behind LWBs in preference.

And black shell can be amazing. I have a pair of Florsheim PTBs in black shell. Very sharp. In fact, I will wear them later and take pics for you.

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
Hi Guys:
View attachment 1392597

I'm a bit late for the split toe day but these are one of my pairs. AE sharks.

Also, I actually did try the "speedo & LWB" look in Maui last year. It' not really a good look for me! I caught a lot of people looking at me but not in a good way!

kilowatts

View attachment 1392597

Someone say something about split toe day? Pardon the vintage violation. I don't have any vintage split toes.

20200521_123211.jpg

Nobleprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There is light at the end of the “work from home” tunnel. I may be returning soon! That means getting to wear real shoes to the office!

To prepare I decided to try on my new to me 96624. I was unfamiliar with this style but have learned there is no discernible difference (to me at least) between it and the 92604.

I was struggling with choosing between two pair of 92604 when I found these from one of my favorite eBay sellers. The cost MUCH less than half of what it would have cost to restore a pair of 92604 even at the more reasonable McFarland price. So, it was a no brainer purchase.

987ED254-F52F-4B74-9305-935E8D5C7A2E.jpeg
F5E3E4E4-BFEA-4253-ACFC-04848238EE84.jpeg

On another note, I am confident I am as much of a Johnston Murphy critic as anyone — in terms of their current styles.

I am also a proponent of J&M’s quality MiUSA offerings even as late as the 90’s. Some of their styles when they were made in USA are on par, or better, with styles from AE. My frustration with J&M is similar to the frustration we all share regarding Florsheim. They both squandered a reputation for high quality shoes and surrendered to inferior materials in the hopes of profits based on volume rather than workmanship.

But, I will give them credit for trying to improve some styles.

I received an email advertising a steep discount on their new “Collection” styles. This is their current attempt to sell a premium line by declaring it as “Made in Italy”. Some of the stuff isn’t bad looking. But, I’m suspicious of the quality. Yet, this pair was 50% off and had 30% off additional markdown. They had a pair in my size. For the price, I decided to pull the trigger.

I was actually quite surprised. The box is sturdy and quality. The box even included nice storage bags. I was impressed even before seeing the shoes. My expectations were fairly low.

But, for the price and knowing that cheap suede is better than cheap leather, I am very happy with my new Tassel loafers.

AE390A69-793F-4B85-B11C-DAE8242B756A.jpeg
B74B5D6F-2C67-4391-A9C7-E80C4B5CBA32.jpeg
3D39CCF3-B71F-4C7D-AEC6-E7931C942DE1.jpeg
055887D4-47ED-47AB-85C4-2A6175C19B42.jpeg

Jiqea

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Most here know the brand as John McHale. These are the predecessor Scott and McHale, which was one of the labels used prior to their purchase by Florsheim.

Based in London Ontario, the McHale company made shoes known for durability and quality. Just look at the stitching details. I bought these from @Jiqea , and I believe the shoes date from the 30s or 40s.

The leather is stiff and needs some break in. Otherwise, nice to have a pair of u-wings in the rotation. View attachment 1392125 View attachment 1392126 View attachment 1392127 View attachment 1392128 View attachment 1392129
I believe those shoes are from the early to mid 50's Ken. Most U-wings date to the 50's, with a few from the late 40's and a handful still manufactured right through the 60's, 70's and 80's (Such as the Dack's Zebu grain Cambridge model).

Nobleprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone have a good resource for cedar shoe trees? I found decent versions for $88 for 6 pair. That’s a little less than $15 a pair. I don’t think I can find them any cheaper than that. I try to buy them whenever I see them at Estate sales or thrift stores. But, that is rare!

woofmang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone have a good resource for cedar shoe trees? I found decent versions for $88 for 6 pair. That’s a little less than $15 a pair. I don’t think I can find them any cheaper than that. I try to buy them whenever I see them at Estate sales or thrift stores. But, that is rare!
If, by "good resource", you mean "less than $15/pair," then, no, I don't. But I highly recommend these Rochester trees (https://www.onecedarlane.com/product/woodard-shoe-tree/); Rochester makes the trees for Alden, Brooks Brothers, Grant Stone, and lots of other shoe companies. These are my favorites.

They're a bit over $20/pair (they list for $24.95, but if you wait a second or two, a box will pop up with a 10% discount code - not sure this works on a phone, but it's always there when I go on my laptop) , and are worth every penny.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads