• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jiqea

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It is not often we get to see a pair of truly NOS shoes from circa 1950, just as they would have looked in the display case 70 years ago.

Today I received these amazing John McHale signature cap-toes, made for Owens-Elmes, a high end Toronto retailer of shoes and leather goods who opened their doors in 1916 and closed in the late 1980's. On the weekend I showed a black pair of John McHale shoes that were sold by Owens-Elmes. Like those shoes these have John McHale's signature imprinted on the interior at the mid-sole, with the sock-liner reading "Scott Elmes Hand Sewn". Hand Sewn was only used by Scott-McHale in reference to their own line of John McHale shoes between 1946-1949, at least in newspaper advertizing. These shoes also have the John McHale "box-barring" , the small four stitch square on the lacing stay flap. This trait only begins to show up around 1950 on Scott-McHale and John-McHale bluchers. On that basis I think it is likely that this pair dates to right around 1950.

They are very similar to the John McHale "Bomber" cap-toes, with the exception of the custom leather and buckle laces, and the interesting heel nail pattern. While this pair had these up-grades, they do not have the doubled and stitched sock-liner edges that we associate with John McHale shoes and even the Canadian made Florsheim Imperials.

I need to confirm that Scott Elmes was the son of J.T. Elmes, one of the founders of the firm. I have confirmed that Scott Owens, the son of the second founder, C.J Owens, was managing the company through the 50's.

The shoes are 11.5C and will be the flagship of John McHale gunboat navy.

IMG_3596.jpg
IMG_3597.jpg
IMG_3598.jpg
IMG_3599.jpg
IMG_3600.jpg
IMG_3601.jpg

kilowatts

Reaction score
It is not often we get to see a pair of truly NOS shoes from circa 1950, just as they would have looked in the display case 70 years ago.

Today I received these amazing John McHale signature cap-toes, made for Owens-Elmes, a high end Toronto retailer of shoes and leather goods who opened their doors in 1916 and closed in the late 1980's. On the weekend I showed a black pair of John McHale shoes that were sold by Owens-Elmes. Like those shoes these have John McHale's signature imprinted on the interior at the mid-sole, with the sock-liner reading "Scott Elmes Hand Sewn". Hand Sewn was only used by Scott-McHale in reference to their own line of John McHale shoes between 1946-1949, at least in newspaper advertizing. These shoes also have the John McHale "box-barring" , the small four stitch square on the lacing stay flap. This trait only begins to show up around 1950 on Scott-McHale and John-McHale bluchers. On that basis I think it is likely that this pair dates to right around 1950.

They are very similar to the John McHale "Bomber" cap-toes, with the exception of the custom leather and buckle laces, and the interesting heel nail pattern. While this pair had these up-grades, they do not have the doubled and stitched sock-liner edges that we associate with John McHale shoes and even the Canadian made Florsheim Imperials.

I need to confirm that Scott Elmes was the son of J.T. Elmes, one of the founders of the firm. I have confirmed that Scott Owens, the son of the second founder, C.J Owens, was managing the company through the 50's.

View attachment 1334811 View attachment 1334812 View attachment 1334813 View attachment 1334814 View attachment 1334815 View attachment 1334816

Wow!! I'm speechless. I hope to find a pair like that every time I look for shoes. What a buy.

kilowatts

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
AE St George monk strap chukkas today.
3ADCB44B-B90E-4B5D-850B-B991C16AED65.jpeg
2A828816-C989-47A6-9FBE-3AA58D6C70D2.jpeg
100597B7-63B2-47DD-9C05-6D86E3159F6C.jpeg

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

View attachment 1334811 View attachment 1334812 View attachment 1334813 View attachment 1334814 View attachment 1334815 View attachment 1334816

:worship::worship::worship::worship::worship2::worship2::worship2::worship2:

mormonopoly

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Those are stunners. I’ve seen the leather buckle “laces” in ads from the 40s, but I’ve never actually seen a surviving pair with them. If you ever decide you can part with them, I (and I’m sure most on this thread) would love to help you solve that problem.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
92604 to kick start a crazy work week. Original soles and suicide heels intact.
IMG_20200210_1824420.jpg

M.Photog

Reaction score

It would be tough to take those out in the wild for the first time.

CWOyaji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So this morning I put down my coffee and bid on these 1970's Alden 991 black saddle oxfords. No one else showed up, so I won. They're B width but to my eye on the Barrie last, so should fit wider. We'll see.
Screen Shot 2020-02-10 at 7.08.22 PM.png

I think they look to be in really good condition, looking forward to shining them up.
Screen Shot 2020-02-10 at 7.10.57 PM.png

Here are the $5 Cheaney for Paul Stuart captoes from yesterday. I sanded down the rough bits on the toes, worked in some Moneysworth Best dark brown shoe cream and voilà.
2B7D0AC6-688F-4F53-9AB1-D0CA9AC764DE.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_2774.jpeg
IMG_1769.JPG

Last edited:

vdubiv

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am soon to move to the Bethlehem, PA area and my son sent me this picture of Main Street in 1935.

View attachment 1333121

Despite the roaring depression, the downtown was full of cars and commerce was happening. People still needed shoes, as I spotted in the lower left corner.

View attachment 1333122
A lot of Bethlehem has remained almost untouched and looks very much like that picture. One of my favorite brewery's Bethlehem Brew Works in built inside the old Bethlehem Steel Factory. The whole area that has been repurposed at the old Steel Works is worth checking out!

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not my listing. Unworn Stetsons.

Awesome shoes. But I think those are resoled, especially the heels look post-manufacturing installation.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics