• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
34 with 3 Aldens on order that will come in some time over the next 3-15 months. But the number swelled to 34 because of getting 7 pairs in the past several months. Opportunities presented and one thing led to another. Come to think of it, that pretty much describes how I came to have 6 sons.

I laughed out loud at the last line! Your 6 sons can inherit your amazing collection. Wish I was your size. That way I could buy your excess.

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I laughed out loud at the last line! Your 6 sons can inherit your amazing collection. Wish I was your size. That way I could buy your excess.
Careful. That's a dangerous position to be in if you aren't wanting to have many many shoes...i get a lot of sell offers from @smfdoc because I can wear the pairs that don't fit his instep! :D

Lionel Hutz

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have never heard of Roberto Capucci shoes . . . and if I am to judge by these NOS in my size (12B) no great loss

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Shoes-Mens-...099120?hash=item2f0b8aa770:g:zM4AAOSwVEVZlQ6w

I don't like monks or weaves so not my cup of tea but they are unique

NOS monk weaves.jpg

Last edited:

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
One of the side effects on having a modest sized shoe collection is the need for shoe trees. I am one of those that uses trees for each pair. I also like the solid front section and the heel shaped rear section. There are LOTS of opinions about shoe trees and I have no idea which type is best. I just know what I personally like. To that end, I do look for sales and I needed to order several pairs today. I found Colton's brand on Amazon (link to item) that is normally $29.95 on sale for $12.95 per pair, plus its Amazon prime so there is free shipping and even free returns if I don't like them. They are for shoes 10-12 in size. No other size options were seen. On RARE occasions one may find them cheaper for ordering 5 pairs at once, but I have not encountered that in some time. So, you may want to check these out if you are in need.

Screen Shot 2017-09-17 at 12.48.11 PM.png

PSU John

Reaction score
One of the side effects on having a modest sized shoe collection is the need for shoe trees. I am one of those that uses trees for each pair. I also like the solid front section and the heel shaped rear section. There are LOTS of opinions about shoe trees and I have no idea which type is best. I just know what I personally like. To that end, I do look for sales and I needed to order several pairs today. I found Colton's brand on Amazon (link to item) that is normally $29.95 on sale for $12.95 per pair, plus its Amazon prime so there is free shipping and even free returns if I don't like them. They are for shoes 10-12 in size. No other size options were seen. On RARE occasions one may find them cheaper for ordering 5 pairs at once, but I have not encountered that in some time. So, you may want to check these out if you are in need.

View attachment 843870

On at least four occasions over the last five years I have gotten the Jos A Bank almost-exact equivalent during their buy-one-get-two-free events, so they net out to about $8.50 each - they have four sizes, and I get up to six pair at a time, so their stock has been adequate. Just another alternative...

M.Photog

Reaction score
How do you all manage to find these nice looking vintage shoes ?
in UK, charity/second hand shops don't have much choice unless am trawling hundreds of miles to each shop.
Ive searched eBay but can't find much either unless am typing something wrong in the search box.

Where I live "old dress shoes" generate almost no interest in thrift/consignment shops. I have learned where the good ones are and try to drop by when i am in the area, I am in and out in five minutes in most cases. I am also blessed to wear a very common size.
In addition to some Florsheim shells i have found several other interesting finds, I enjoy the hunt. I recently picked up a pair of JM Westons which are in rough shape but they give me hope that more nice finds are out there.;) I found them in a Goodwill which is quickly becoming a favorite. It is in a middle income blue collar town which is in the same county as a very upscale community. My conclusion is that all of the donations from the upscale community end up at this Goodwill where no one has ever heard of JM Weston.
At another consignment shop I picked up a very nice pair of Rios of Mercedes Crocodile western boots. They were running a 50% off sale so I paid $6 for what was probably almost $1,000 new. They are a small company but make some of the finest handmade boots on the market. They made a nice addition to my rather eclectic footwear collection.
Of course ebay is always an option. I grabbed a very nice pair of Florsheim 93605s recently for $149. They show very little wear. As others have mentioned you have to be quick.

ace13x

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How do you all manage to find these nice looking vintage shoes ?
in UK, charity/second hand shops don't have much choice unless am trawling hundreds of miles to each shop.
Ive searched eBay but can't find much either unless am typing something wrong in the search box.
Are you searching Worldwide or UK only?

Maybe its just my relatives in Europe, but aren't Europeans more frugal? Frankly, frugal would be generous in describing my relatives, they're more like tightwads. Europeans probably hold on to quality shoes more than in the US.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 843870

Sigh, first world problems - this company won't deliver to Canada.

vim147

Reaction score
Are you searching Worldwide or UK only?

Maybe its just my relatives in Europe, but aren't Europeans more frugal? Frankly, frugal would be generous in describing my relatives, they're more like tightwads. Europeans probably hold on to quality shoes more than in the US.

Am searching UK/Europe only. Getting stuff from USA would be too expensive with the postage charge then the 20% import tax we have to pay on top.

The only used shoes I've managed to pick up are Churchs & Loakes but only 10 years old which are still being sold in shops today.

Not sure what am meant to be typing in the search box on eBay. tried 'vintage shoes' but not much luck.

ace13x

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Am searching UK/Europe only. Getting stuff from USA would be too expensive with the postage charge then the 20% import tax we have to pay on top.

The only used shoes I've managed to pick up are Churchs & Loakes but only 10 years old which are still being sold in shops today.

Not sure what am meant to be typing in the search box on eBay. tried 'vintage shoes' but not much luck.
The best way to search is by brand, i.e. Loake or Florsheim or Alden etc. Then you have to work your way through the listings to find something vintage. Make sure you are searching "All Categories" as eBay likes to switch you down to what it thinks is the right sub category.

You can append 'vintage' or 'vtg' to your search like "vtg florsheim" which will narrow the results, but then you'll miss a lot of actual old shoes for which the seller didn't think to point out vintage in the title.

Once you go through the listings once, the next time you run the search make sure you list by "newly listed". That way you won't have to go through the whole list again, just stop when you reach the date of the last time you searched.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wearing one of my favourite vintage pair: Florsheim 77217, made in Canada.

You can see a patina developping. I only use conditioner on it as the colour has a mind of its own.

IMG_20170918_072920.jpg

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

My opinion and $1.70 gets you a cup of coffee.

In my experience living in Canada, I also pay a premium for both shipping, and sometimes taxes.

I don't always get nailed for tax. And if shoes are made in USA, then I pay less tax.

So don't let the extra costs deter you. I find that the US has a lot of gems.

I use these combos, for example:
Florsheim Imperial 8.5 eee
Florsheim Imperial 8.5 3e
Florsheim Imperial 8 1/2 eee
Vintage 8.5 eee
Vintage 8.5 3e
Church's 8.5 G
Church's 42.5 G
Church's 8,5 G
Church's 42,5 G

These are examples of some of my searches.

Good luck!

mormonopoly

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've noticed on many of my vintage shoes, the heel pad on the insole has become dislodged due to the old glue giving out. What adhesive do you guys use to reattach it? I would imagine most would work, but I don't want to accidentally use something that doesn't get along with old leather.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads