• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You sold your Belmonts?

Yes. One of the victims of multiple purges that would temporarily lower my shoe count only to see it rise higher in the next few months. Much like a yo-yo diet. When I was a kid we were so poor that the only thing I had to played with was a yo-yo, and that was my cousin Larry.

IMG_1385.jpg

Last edited:

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes. One of the victims of multiple purges that would temporarily lower my shoe count only to see it rise higher in the next few months. Much like a yo-yo diet. When I was a kid we were so poor that the only thing I had to played with was a yo-yo, and that was my cousin Larry.

How many pairs of dress shoes you have right now? I am at 25, with 20 pairs being vintage or 2nd hand.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys:

I like my AE "Belmont" sharkskin bluchers a lot. The leather does indeed seem to be bullet proof and the shoes are very comfortable.

kilowatts

So very tough eh? Now I gotta find a pair!

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
How many pairs of dress shoes you have right now? I am at 25, with 20 pairs being vintage or 2nd hand.

34 with 3 Aldens on order that will come in some time over the next 3-15 months. But the number swelled to 34 because of getting 7 pairs in the past several months. Opportunities presented and one thing led to another. Come to think of it, that pretty much describes how I came to have 6 sons.

kilowatts

Reaction score
Hi Guys:

Just to change the subject completely.....
Please see below for pics of my Dinkelacker buffalo Budas complete with Goyser stitch details!
I know Dinks don't get a lot of love and I know they look really clunky except when they're being worn. However, they are extremely comfortable and quite stylish(in my opinion), and they almost always get good remarks.

kilowatts

IMG_0894.JPG
IMG_0895.JPG
IMG_0896.JPG

Last edited:

kilowatts

Reaction score
Sorry Guys:

I seem to have screwed up the picture posting again. I'll try to improve!

kilowatts

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Sorry Guys:

I seem to have screwed up the picture posting again. I'll try to improve!

kilowatts

I just thought you had OCD. When you find that this occurs, just click the "Edit" option at the bottom border of your post. You can then go back into the post and remove the duplicates or add other comments or images that were forgotten. I sometimes edit a post 3-4 times. For example, these last two sentences were not in the original post. Save the changes and it will all be corrected.

Lionel Hutz

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Others have answered well, but I'll add that it takes a long time to build a good vintage shoe collection. The shoes that I have showed here I've acquired over several years, not over night. I often go months without seeing anything that I want to add to my collection.

I am learning this lesson, I ran out and purchased a few pair of middling quality vintage shoes and I probably paid too much for them. I am now resolved to be FAR more selective. OTOH I am working on my first restoration of a pair of Florsheim 93606 PTB v-cleats. I had used renomat on a pair of AE Shell MacNeils I picked up but there wasn't much to remove. These PTBs had been stained almost black so pulling off the old finish was quite exciting (left shoe has had one treatment of renomat and R shoe has "original" eBay finish). I picked these up for $60 so not a great deal but I'm not too mad because I am enjoying trying the hobby out. Still in the future I am going to be far more selective and seek better quality at a higher price point

burgandy shell PTB3.jpg

before and after renomat.jpg

before and after renomat2.jpg

I know there is more art than science to this so I am leaning against stripping them completely, Hopefully the dark areas will add patina and depth to the color once I polish them up again

Last edited:

kilowatts

Reaction score
Thanks SMFDOC:

I think I have it now. Also, I resent the OCD slur. I'm not OCD. I'm not OCD. I'm not OCD.

kilowatts

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Doing some shoe maintenance today with Collonil and then photos in the sun. Florsheim 97626.

FullSizeRender.jpg

mreams99

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 843433
I hope that those weren't my size (13B).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads