• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ahhh, it's a new page! Thanks for the link!

Edit: What sort of place do I live in? A metro area of about 5 million and not one member.

I live in the largest metropolitan in Canada (Greater Toronto area). Not one SSIA member in the biggest city. None in my city (3rd largest by population).

I have to drive at least 1.5 hours to find a SSIA cobbler. Or mail them my shoes. Sad.

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm fairly certain it was just 2008/2009. The black insoles didn't last long.
They didn’t last long... and for good reason: it cost them extra money to dye what is a fairly thick piece of leather and nobody thought it looked particularly good. There were also worries that it’d stain socks (not that I ever saw any reports confirming that fear).

One of the folks in the AE thread posted this interesting video taken by Steve from Bedo’s on a recent factory tour of the AE Port Washington factory (built by John Stollenwerk in 1984 after the original,smaller, facility burnt down due to a boiler room fire). What’s interesting is the mix of modern JIT manufacturing, high-tech automation (for example, they’ve introduced automated cutters) and century old sewing machines.

Appearently it was poron insole day (they use poron insoles for their speedwelt line - they’ve also used poron insoles for the Brooks Brothers AE models and was an option during the MTO days - I’m not a fan of poron because I don’t like synthetics and squishiness). When they get over to the lasting stations you can see the bottom side of a couple of Benchwelt (aka, heritage; aka, regular) AE’s, with the big old leather slab insole.

There’s some interesting discussion about lasting process differences between working with shell versus calf. I thought the post lasting remediation information about shell was very interesting and really highlights why they cost more (beyond just the Horween leather itself).

Over all it’s an interesting look at, what is today, by production, the largest GYW factory in the world (and one of the last dedicated solely to GYW), and one of the last large-scale shoe factories in the US. It’s also encouraging to see that Caleres has made recent investments in the facility. But what I find most interesting is how little has changed:

It’s also pretty amusing when Steve is poking around the bins of shoes awaiting recrafting.

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Totally on point with my green dyed AE 5th Avenues. And matching tie and cuff links.
Patrick Bateman approved.
vqGeMsr.gif

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They didn’t last long... and for good reason: it cost them extra money to dye what is a fairly thick piece of leather and nobody thought it looked particularly good. There were also worries that it’d stain socks (not that I ever saw any reports confirming that fear).

One of the folks in the AE thread posted this interesting video taken by Steve from Bedo’s on a recent factory tour of the AE Port Washington factory (built by John Stollenwerk in 1984 after the original,smaller, facility burnt down due to a boiler room fire). What’s interesting is the mix of modern JIT manufacturing, high-tech automation (for example, they’ve introduced automated cutters) and century old sewing machines.

Appearently it was poron insole day (they use poron insoles for their speedwelt line - they’ve also used poron insoles for the Brooks Brothers AE models and was an option during the MTO days - I’m not a fan of poron because I don’t like synthetics and squishiness). When they get over to the lasting stations you can see the bottom side of a couple of Benchwelt (aka, heritage; aka, regular) AE’s, with the big old leather slab insole.

There’s some interesting discussion about lasting process differences between working with shell versus calf. I thought the post lasting remediation information about shell was very interesting and really highlights why they cost more (beyond just the Horween leather itself).

Over all it’s an interesting look at, what is today, by production, the largest GYW factory in the world (and one of the last dedicated solely to GYW), and one of the last large-scale shoe factories in the US. It’s also encouraging to see that Caleres has made recent investments in the facility. But what I find most interesting is how little has changed:

It’s also pretty amusing when Steve is poking around the bins of shoes awaiting recrafting.

You are one of the more knowledgeable members of this thread who is always willing to share information.

Or you're totally full of it, and pull it off so well, that you've fooled me the entire time.

Either way, carry on.

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I live in the largest metropolitan in Canada (Greater Toronto area). Not one SSIA member in the biggest city. None in my city (3rd largest by population).

I have to drive at least 1.5 hours to find a SSIA cobbler. Or mail them my shoes. Sad.
You need to start shaming folks up there into wearing ecologically conscious foot wear that’s made of biodegradable materials and is recraftable, resolable, etc. If someone brings up shoes, I’m sure to lay on a whole bunch of virtue-signaling BS as part of the pitch for why they should A. Buy quality footwear not made by gulag labor and B. Consider vintage footwear.

I might be fighting a losing battle, but if I get one person to buy decent shoes that help support local cobblers and such (so I have somewhere to get my shoes fixed - ‘cause it’s really all about my agenda), then I’ve helped stem the tide. Plus, it’s WAY more amusing to sanctimoniously lecture someone about how their shoes are made by child labor out of materials that are destroying the earth, rather than only just telling them that their shoes look like cheap garbage. Point blank, I don’t want them to just feel bad about how they look, I want them to feel guilty for buying them.

And when they ask me how I justify driving a 556BHP V8 powered dinosaur inhaling, carbon footprint stomping automobile, I just point to the shoes and tell them how I thrifted them. See, I’m one of the good guys, honest.

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You are one of the more knowledgeable members of this thread who is always willing to share information.

Or you're totally full of it, and pull it off so well, that you've fooled me the entire time.

Either way, carry on.
I’m totally full of crap. 99% of the time I’m just repeating what others have said to make myself sound like I know stuff. Oh, and a lot of google-fu. And browser bookmarks, I have a lot of those. I’m also an expert in cut&paste.

(Though I use DuckDuckGo now because google has so mangled their organic search results with all their algorithm silliness that if you google vintage AE you’ll get back some amazon ad for $99 fake vintage shoes).

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Well alright. I'm not sure if they are gator or croc, but they are real. I wish they had a leather sole, but that can be easily fixed. You can tell by the insole that these were produced before the black insole period.

1098840-cd9372c7ff85599c56c08097ae04091c.jpg
View attachment 1205661
View attachment 1205662
View attachment 1205663

Not that it could not happen, but I have never seen any reference to Allen Edmonds using crocodile on any shoe. I have seen many references to alligator which was available for MTO shoes and also listed in the catalog at different times.

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

pfft. They've got the Indy lining for sock staining! My navy unlined Cronmoks did a fair job as well. Admittedly, Alden's tan liners color my socks the first few wears as well.
Not that it could not happen, but I have never seen any reference to Allen Edmonds using crocodile on any shoe. I have seen many references to alligator which was available for MTO shoes and also listed in the catalog at different times.
As I recall, you found some info saying you could differentiate between croc and gator by the scales. A dot or something?

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

friendlygoz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can you stretch a pair of 9C vintage. alligators to a 9D or is it foolish to try? Steve from Bedo’s says you can but you have to be very careful.

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The modern “gunboat” longwing:
large_4155.jpg

Wimpy. Flaccid. WEAK.

Now THESE are GUNBOATS:
2Jw7sUr.jpg

Look at how thick that sole is!
0iHAYLJ.jpg

Huge welt!
bxfVhny.jpg

Massive construction.
uBoEqEt.jpg

Leather everywhere, the way it should be.

The preceding ambiguously homoerotic shoe-Appreciation was brought to you by Hanover Shoe, Inc. Hanover: A MAN’s shoe.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads