Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Vintage Dress shoe appreciation, tips, maintenance and advice

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by smfdoc, Jul 14, 2016.

1. ace13x

ace13x Senior member

Pristine examples of anything people collect always demand a disproportionate premium. Coins, comic books, posters, anything.

The thing is, they only become valuable if they are things people used to use and not collect. Money got spent, comic books got read, and posters got posted.

2. mormonopoly

mormonopoly Senior member

There's also the possibility that the seller themselves "bought" the shoes at that price to artificially inflate the value. That has been known to happen on ebay.

3. suitforcourt

suitforcourt Senior member

But how likely were the shoes going to sell at that price? I mean, how many true connoisseurs are out there, AND have that kinda money to throw around?

4. suitforcourt

suitforcourt Senior member

@davidVC

Just reviewed a few of your restores on vcleat.com. I'm fully cognizant you're not "the only expert", but I definitely respect the work you've done, and your ongoing results.

Do you recommend glycerin as the first treatment?

After reading this thread, I've started this regime:

1. Brush off excess dirt and dust;
    2. Use damp cloth if necessary, to clean off heavy build up of dirt;
    3. Let shoes dry;
    4. A round or 2 of Bick 4. Let dry;
    5. A round or 2 of a German made renovateur that I have. I may switch to Saphir renovateur in the future. Let dry;
    6. Colour polish or cream;
    7. Brush and shine finale.

I'd like to add glycerin into the rotation, but not sure where it should fit it. @smfdoc - what say you?

Thanks everyone. This is by far, my favourite thread/website for the last while.

5. smfdoc

smfdoc Senior member

Los Angeles. "Swimmin' pools; movie stars."
    Having never personally done the glycerine treatment I know my opinion on the subject is worthless. I would automatically defer to whatever @davidVC says about it.

6. M.Photog

M.Photog Senior member

Of course my comment was mostly in jest but it does seem like prices are going up in just the short time i have been paying attention. Or perhaps I am just learning how to find nicer examples.

7. smfdoc

smfdoc Senior member

Both. Some idiot started a vintage appreciation thread on the style forum and it seems lots of additional interest is driving the price up, plus they are learning to distinguish good vintage from just old shoes.

8. 2Deuce2

2Deuce2 Senior member

Well my first pair of vintage FI is in the glycerine "onboarding" process from David's vcleat blog. We'll know in a week how it all came together. I liked the Neats' Foot Oil, as it made the leather a bit more pliable.

Glycerine is used by savvy wet shaving enthusiasts too for the creation of uber lather with a badger brush. The typical tallow or vegetable based shaving soaps are dosed up primarily in winter to aid with dry skin. Awfully decadent.

IMG_1770.JPG

9. eTrojan

eTrojan Active Member

That idiot is partly responsible for a 2x increase in the number of dress shoes in my closet and a 5x increase in the number of vintage shoes.

10. smfdoc

smfdoc Senior member

:bigstar:

11. M.Photog

M.Photog Senior member

I am glad he did. ;) I have certainly enjoyed the time I have spent here, I have a great deal to learn and hope people keep posting here. You make an interesting point about telling the difference. When i find something i am not familiar with i begin to research but find that I increasingly know what to look for as far as brand or quality of construction. I recently found a pair of Keith Highlanders, they remind me of my Footjoy classics. They seem like a solid shoe if not top of the line. I like having different brands.

12. davidVC

davidVC Senior member

I don't use glycerin on most shoes and I don't see it as necessary. But I am going to use it on a few pairs I recently purchased. If the shoes are misshapen and dry, I would use it, but just once. Regular maintenance after that.

Your shoe recipe below looks good to me. I recommend a good brushing of the welt. Some people miss that. New laces too.

Make sure to read the directions on the products even if you have used them before. There are a lot of good shoe care products out there.

Have fun and post photos of your work.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2017

13. ace13x

ace13x Senior member

FYI,

I'm in the process of trying it on a pair that really didn't need it. Still in dying out phase. Will probably have a complete write up with pictures by this weekend. You all may want to hold off on the "treatment" until my results are in. I'm fully documenting the process with pictures.

14. davidVC

davidVC Senior member

Prices have definitely gone up, especially for new old stock pairs. Years ago, I would see NOS Florsheim Imperial Kenmoors go for $125. $150 seemed high. Now they usually go for $225 to $300 ... or $1400

I blame @smfdoc too

15. M635Guy

M635Guy Senior member