• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Both. Some idiot started a vintage appreciation thread on the style forum and it seems lots of additional interest is driving the price up, plus they are learning to distinguish good vintage from just old shoes.

Since I started following this thread, I have probably acquired 20 pairs of vintage shoes. Maybe another 20 were bought and flipped for fun.

The idiot has singlehandedly changed my shoe world. I now have vintage shoes from across the world, and I have developed great care techniques. Way to go!

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Too bad we don't all live closer to each other. We could hold an annual vintage shoes convention.

2Deuce2

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Question for you Vintage professionals - Are the shoes with "Foot Balance" branded on the heels all Aldens? I picked up a pair via eBay with a private label, and they are solid shoes with the Foot Balance on the odd shaped heel. Although I live in Illinois, it's a huge inconvenience to go to Downtown Chicago, and the J Crew in Oak Brook does not stock Alden's. These fit me well, so I'm using it as a guide for my sizing too.

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Question for you Vintage professionals - Are the shoes with "Foot Balance" branded on the heels all Aldens? I picked up a pair via eBay with a private label, and they are solid shoes with the Foot Balance on the odd shaped heel. Although I live in Illinois, it's a huge inconvenience to go to Downtown Chicago, and the J Crew in Oak Brook does not stock Alden's. These fit me well, so I'm using it as a guide for my sizing too.
Post some pix. I'm not sure the Foot Balance heel is exclusive to Alden, but they're the only bootmaker I know of that uses it in production. (i.e. I think cobblers can buy it as a stock heel to use for replacements)

Dicky Dicardo

Reaction score

Even if they are Alden, you'd need to know which last it is to use them as a guide to sizing.

Yes, photos (including interior) will be helpful.

2Deuce2

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Even if they are Alden, you'd need to know which last it is to use them as a guide to sizing.

Yes, photos (including interior) will be helpful.
Is that clear?

IMG_0268.JPG

Gosport

Reaction score
IMG_20170829_135819425.jpg
Figured I would share the Nettletons I recently posted, cleaned up and in-use this time. I could have probably worked a little harder but did a couple passes with lexol cleaner, a couple rounds of lexol conditioning, lots of brushing, polishing, and more brushing and they turned out pretty good. May try some bick 4 and renovatuer for the next pair I find.

IMG_20170829_135810124.jpg

Gosport

Reaction score
Woah...don't know why that picture posted so many times, I only uploaded it once...sorry about that

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Woah...don't know why that picture posted so many times, I only uploaded it once...sorry about that

Great shoes. No problem on the photos. However, if this happens you can click edit at the bottom of your post and it will list each picture. You can manually removes the extras and then save the changes.

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I wish this had been posted 24 hours earlier - I'm in Tokyo, and the smaller Tokyu Hands store had a bunch of old 30's-'50's ads (though the first Jarman looks early 60's to my eye, but might be late 50's) that I took pix of but didn't buy. They're about $5 each (¥500). Not sure I'll get back in that area before I leave.
HmdPi5s.jpg

9O9Y9Xt.jpg

D7aHXzI.jpg

and a shirt ad I thought was funny:
hrzKVA8.jpg

I probably would have bought all of the shoe bits, but didn't have a good way to carry/protect them on a long day stomping through Tokyo with spotty rain.

Those Jarman 1940s spades at $5.99 are wonderful.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
View attachment 836658 View attachment 836658 View attachment 836658 View attachment 836658 Figured I would share the Nettletons I recently posted, cleaned up and in-use this time. I could have probably worked a little harder but did a couple passes with lexol cleaner, a couple rounds of lexol conditioning, lots of brushing, polishing, and more brushing and they turned out pretty good. May try some bick 4 and renovatuer for the next pair I find.

View attachment 836659

The current Nettletons are made in Belgium. I doubt the quality.

I have a similar pair of Nettletons except my toe box is more square. Great shoes. They should last forever.

JohnAAG

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Question for the experts. I picked up some vintage MiUSA Red Wing boots. The leather and soles are in good condition, but the previous owner caked on the waterproofing cream. To strip them down, do you recommend shampoing them first and then using Renomat? Or just the Renomat? Thanks!
20170902_070058.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads