• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ace13x

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What does this tell us about the future pricing of vintage shoes? The fact that someone considered buying at this price makes me wonder if I should consider putting some back as part of my investment strategy. :)
Pristine examples of anything people collect always demand a disproportionate premium. Coins, comic books, posters, anything.

The thing is, they only become valuable if they are things people used to use and not collect. Money got spent, comic books got read, and posters got posted.

mormonopoly

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What does this tell us about the future pricing of vintage shoes? The fact that someone considered buying at this price makes me wonder if I should consider putting some back as part of my investment strategy. :)

There's also the possibility that the seller themselves "bought" the shoes at that price to artificially inflate the value. That has been known to happen on ebay.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

But how likely were the shoes going to sell at that price? I mean, how many true connoisseurs are out there, AND have that kinda money to throw around?

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@davidVC

Just reviewed a few of your restores on vcleat.com. I'm fully cognizant you're not "the only expert", but I definitely respect the work you've done, and your ongoing results.

Do you recommend glycerin as the first treatment?

After reading this thread, I've started this regime:

1. Brush off excess dirt and dust;
2. Use damp cloth if necessary, to clean off heavy build up of dirt;
3. Let shoes dry;
4. A round or 2 of Bick 4. Let dry;
5. A round or 2 of a German made renovateur that I have. I may switch to Saphir renovateur in the future. Let dry;
6. Colour polish or cream;
7. Brush and shine finale.

I'd like to add glycerin into the rotation, but not sure where it should fit it. @smfdoc - what say you?

Thanks everyone. This is by far, my favourite thread/website for the last while.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
@davidVC

I'd like to add glycerin into the rotation, but not sure where it should fit it. @smfdoc - what say you?

Thanks everyone. This is by far, my favourite thread/website for the last while.

Having never personally done the glycerine treatment I know my opinion on the subject is worthless. I would automatically defer to whatever @davidVC says about it.

M.Photog

Reaction score
Pristine examples of anything people collect always demand a disproportionate premium. Coins, comic books, posters, anything.

The thing is, they only become valuable if they are things people used to use and not collect. Money got spent, comic books got read, and posters got posted.
But how likely were the shoes going to sell at that price? I mean, how many true connoisseurs are out there, AND have that kinda money to throw around?

Of course my comment was mostly in jest but it does seem like prices are going up in just the short time i have been paying attention. Or perhaps I am just learning how to find nicer examples.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Of course my comment was mostly in jest but it does seem like prices are going up in just the short time i have been paying attention. Or perhaps I am just learning how to find nicer examples.

Both. Some idiot started a vintage appreciation thread on the style forum and it seems lots of additional interest is driving the price up, plus they are learning to distinguish good vintage from just old shoes.

2Deuce2

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Having never personally done the glycerine treatment I know my opinion on the subject is worthless. I would automatically defer to whatever @davidVC says about it.
Well my first pair of vintage FI is in the glycerine "onboarding" process from David's vcleat blog. We'll know in a week how it all came together. I liked the Neats' Foot Oil, as it made the leather a bit more pliable.

Glycerine is used by savvy wet shaving enthusiasts too for the creation of uber lather with a badger brush. The typical tallow or vegetable based shaving soaps are dosed up primarily in winter to aid with dry skin. Awfully decadent.

IMG_1770.JPG

eTrojan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Both. Some idiot started a vintage appreciation thread on the style forum and it seems lots of additional interest is driving the price up, plus they are learning to distinguish good vintage from just old shoes.

That idiot is partly responsible for a 2x increase in the number of dress shoes in my closet and a 5x increase in the number of vintage shoes.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
That idiot is partly responsible for a 2x increase in the number of dress shoes in my closet and a 5x increase in the number of vintage shoes.

:bigstar:

M.Photog

Reaction score

I am glad he did. ;) I have certainly enjoyed the time I have spent here, I have a great deal to learn and hope people keep posting here. You make an interesting point about telling the difference. When i find something i am not familiar with i begin to research but find that I increasingly know what to look for as far as brand or quality of construction. I recently found a pair of Keith Highlanders, they remind me of my Footjoy classics. They seem like a solid shoe if not top of the line. I like having different brands.

davidVC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't use glycerin on most shoes and I don't see it as necessary. But I am going to use it on a few pairs I recently purchased. If the shoes are misshapen and dry, I would use it, but just once. Regular maintenance after that.

Your shoe recipe below looks good to me. I recommend a good brushing of the welt. Some people miss that. New laces too.

Make sure to read the directions on the products even if you have used them before. There are a lot of good shoe care products out there.

Have fun and post photos of your work.

@davidVC

Just reviewed a few of your restores on vcleat.com. I'm fully cognizant you're not "the only expert", but I definitely respect the work you've done, and your ongoing results.

Do you recommend glycerin as the first treatment?

After reading this thread, I've started this regime:

1. Brush off excess dirt and dust;
2. Use damp cloth if necessary, to clean off heavy build up of dirt;
3. Let shoes dry;
4. A round or 2 of Bick 4. Let dry;
5. A round or 2 of a German made renovateur that I have. I may switch to Saphir renovateur in the future. Let dry;
6. Colour polish or cream;
7. Brush and shine finale.

Last edited:

ace13x

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
FYI,

I'm in the process of trying it on a pair that really didn't need it. Still in dying out phase. Will probably have a complete write up with pictures by this weekend. You all may want to hold off on the "treatment" until my results are in. I'm fully documenting the process with pictures.

davidVC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Prices have definitely gone up, especially for new old stock pairs. Years ago, I would see NOS Florsheim Imperial Kenmoors go for $125. $150 seemed high. Now they usually go for $225 to $300 ... or $1400

I blame @smfdoc too

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads