• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Video Games

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Anyone with some good recs on either mobile games (that will be playable on an iphone 13 mini screen) or games that will play on my Surface Pro X (ARM chip, so unless native ARM, gotta work within the x86 emulation layer) without a controller?

Heading to europe next week and even though I haven't finished TotK yet, I think I am going to leave my Switch at home in the name of packing light.

I can make do with TV/Movies, but if there's something worth playing, I'd be down to clown.

Hearthstone bro. Still the GOAT on iPhone.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
1696616466954.png

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Any Metal Gear fans? MGS 3 Snake Eater was always my favorite in the series. They just released the first in-engine look at the remake and it looks outstanding. This is going to be high on my list for must-haves is they don't screw it up.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
New rig is live:
1699114351357.png

1699114393360.png

Kept my old inverted micro-atx case, including bluray drive (which I have used 2-3 times since 2020, so might as well keep it since I have it) and a hot-swap bay for 3.5" HDDs...but even then it is amazing how much less "stuff" there is despite switching to a 3-fan GPU. I was left with a pile of cables, and a whole metal 3.5 drive cage I didn't need to put back into the case. The NVME storage sitting on the mobo and lack of a need for a spinning 3.5" HDD plus an 2.5" SSD just eliminates so much space and cable clutter.

Build itself is nothing too fancy. Ryzen 7600X, 32GB DDR5 6000, 2TB Crucial P5 Plus NVME.

Wasn't crazy about the current state of the GPU market as I wanted NVIDIA for better support of AI/ML libraries, but I also wanted >8GB vRAM for future support and said AI/ML capabilities...and that just isn't cost effective in the current lineup compared to AMD.
Ended up winning a hail-mary late-night ebay bid on this 12gb 3060 OC...cheap, plenty of power for today, and I can upgrade later.

And yes, that is a 3.5" floppy drive in the bottom bay. No, it is not hooked up, and I haven't had a motherboard with a floppy port since the 2000s, but it is a combo unit with and SD and CF card reader that I actually do use.

Nyarlathotep

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any Metal Gear fans? MGS 3 Snake Eater was always my favorite in the series. They just released the first in-engine look at the remake and it looks outstanding. This is going to be high on my list for must-haves is they don't screw it up.

Same, I'll definitely get the MGS Master collection, I don't care if 2/3 are basically just the PS3 era HD remasters. On topic: I've been playing FFX HD, the Chocobo race for the Sun Sigil is driving me nuts.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Same, I'll definitely get the MGS Master collection, I don't care if 2/3 are basically just the PS3 era HD remasters. On topic: I've been playing FFX HD, the Chocobo race for the Sun Sigil is driving me nuts.

I’ll get those remasters too but not sure if I want to do another play of MGS3 just to do it again with the remaster. It’s supposed to be close to a 1:1 of the original with modern graphics.

brokencycle

Reaction score
New rig is live:
View attachment 2062399

View attachment 2062401

Kept my old inverted micro-atx case, including bluray drive (which I have used 2-3 times since 2020, so might as well keep it since I have it) and a hot-swap bay for 3.5" HDDs...but even then it is amazing how much less "stuff" there is despite switching to a 3-fan GPU. I was left with a pile of cables, and a whole metal 3.5 drive cage I didn't need to put back into the case. The NVME storage sitting on the mobo and lack of a need for a spinning 3.5" HDD plus an 2.5" SSD just eliminates so much space and cable clutter.

Build itself is nothing too fancy. Ryzen 7600X, 32GB DDR5 6000, 2TB Crucial P5 Plus NVME.

Wasn't crazy about the current state of the GPU market as I wanted NVIDIA for better support of AI/ML libraries, but I also wanted >8GB vRAM for future support and said AI/ML capabilities...and that just isn't cost effective in the current lineup compared to AMD.
Ended up winning a hail-mary late-night ebay bid on this 12gb 3060 OC...cheap, plenty of power for today, and I can upgrade later.

And yes, that is a 3.5" floppy drive in the bottom bay. No, it is not hooked up, and I haven't had a motherboard with a floppy port since the 2000s, but it is a combo unit with and SD and CF card reader that I actually do use.

That's a huge CPU cooler.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I wish Apple would do more to bring in high-profile games. Their silicon is outstanding and is able to perform well without crazy cooling solutions.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I wish Apple would do more to bring in high-profile games. Their custom silicon is outstanding and is able to perform well without crazy cooling solutions.

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Giant cooling is part of the fun!
1699123597546.png

Scale:
1699123617353.png

Look at all these ports!
1699123643490.png

Not even including the top!

Thats as many ports as like, an entire Apple sales floor!

In all seriousness, graphics cards in apples still aren't up to par w/ high end PC's. Certainly not at the same prices.

The new silicon does allow for use of DX12 at least. But that doesn't solve the issue of no one making games for MacOS, steam not being usable, and people basically having to use a linux like system to game on a rig that was 1.5x-2.5x more expensive for the same performance of a PC.

Also Apple doesn't give a crap about AAA gaming. Mobile is a bigger pool anyway and much easier and within their wheelhouse.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
That's a huge CPU cooler.
Not really? Maybe just looks big compared the small mobo?

Single tower with a single fan. Bigger than a flat OEM cooler, but small for aftermarket (and the 7600x doesn’t come with one so this is the $20 option)

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Same - but they've repeatedly stated that the gaming market isn't part of their strategy.

Hard to argue with them given the results.

Didn’t they announce a big initiative recently for gaming? To make porting and development easier.

The problem is they won't invest in gaming studios like MS does. Companies won't take risks unless it's cheap to port over.

Nyarlathotep

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’ll get those remasters too but not sure if I want to do another play of MGS3 just to do it again with the remaster. It’s supposed to be close to a 1:1 of the original with modern graphics.
Ah true, I didn't look properly at the youtube link, that's the full 'from the ground up' remake.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads