• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

kelpqq

Reaction score
anyone have a real life picture of the black shell stitch-down service boot from the recent run?

gte872h

Reaction score
I think it has to be more
Than that. I wonder if they are cut from a different part of the video..? Anyway, looks cool!

Video? I’m no expert but I think we call them horses round here.

Autocorrect strikes again.

Haha. Video. ;)

Last edited:

theSleepyKid

Reaction score
No way I'd keep those.

Yup, that's what I'm leaning towards right now. Are these sorts of things typical with shell boots? This is my first pair of shell footwear, so I'm not sure how much variation is reasonable to expect in the shell. I think they look fine on foot, just a bit concerned the unusual pre-creasing might get worse over time... Or it might disappear as the boots wear in...

Edmund K

Reaction score
Ha! Yes, autocorrect gets me every time... “hide” was the word I was looking for...

I think you’re probably right. The hide on the cap toe seems little different and it has tighter grain structure similar to Cordovan (this is a totally different leather than Cordovan but the “roll” for the horsehide butt is different than cowhide). Couple more photos for the Viberg forum. Usually don’t wear this during workday, but just want to do it for the folks who are interested in this leather. This is one of the coolest veg natural tanned leather out there in terms of developing your own patina. It took me a while to get to this point and the leather is getting richer and richer everyday. I was taking Guy’s advice not putting any sort of conditioning and there are just grease in the environment or from the normal handling of the boot. Pardon my bad boot selfie.

6F33F872-BB9A-4DB9-BA77-EA910AD60A93.jpeg

E7EE8482-D269-4B4B-8C48-AA9B6ABD60B4.jpeg

Last edited:

gte872h

Reaction score
I think you’re probably right. The hide on the cap toe seems little different and it has tighter grain structure similar to Cordovan (this is a totally different leather than Cordovan but the “roll” for the horsehide butt is different than cowhide). Couple more photos for the Viberg forum. Usually don’t wear this during workday, but just want to do it for the folks who are interested in this leather. This is one of the coolest veg natural tanned leather out there in terms of developing your own patina. It took me a while to get to this point and the leather is getting richer and richer everyday. I was taking Guy’s advice not putting any sort of conditioning and there are just grease in the environment or from the normal handling of the boot. Pardon my bad boot selfie.

View attachment 933325

View attachment 933326

The boots look great. I remember when you picked those up from the sample sale a few years ago. Love the aging on them.

ShootThePier

Reaction score
Just kidding everyone, Brooklyn Clothing told me that there was an error with their inventory system and that there wasn't actually a pair in my size. Bummer.

On an unrelated note, I purchased another pair from them a few weeks ago and after wearing them once, I found out that my pair has uneven boot heights and uneven eyelets on the right shoe.

I just spoke with a representative from Brooklyn Clothing, and they said that they:
  1. Would rather have me contact Viberg to see what they say.
  2. And that if that Viberg didn't resolve the issue, that they'd contact the owner of the company to see what they'd do next. Based on that response, I'm under the impression that the stockist isn't willing to go to bat for me for this issue, which gives me mixed feelings on the whole matter. On one hand, having worn them once, I realize they probably can't sell it again, but on the other hand, there are other consumers like me who probably wouldn't want to keep a boot like this.
Worst case scenario, if both Viberg and the stockist are unable to help, is it unethical of me to consider filing a PayPal claim for something like this? I've never done something like this before, but then again, 700 dollars is a large amount to spend on a product that was seconds quality as advertised as firsts.

I didn’t read all the responses, but:

Sometimes you can’t find problems until you wear a shoe or boot like you normally would. I think mismatched height and eyelets may fall into that category. You’re feet, legs, and entire body can feel something different than normal, after one day of wear.

BC probably sent you directly to Viberg, because they already knew how Viberg would handle it, and wanted you to hear it from the horse’s mouth. Sorta chicken-****.

Sad to see that Viberg still turns a blind eye when there are easily apparent issues.

Mismatched boots should be a 100% acceptable return, new or worn for a day. They are MISMATCHED! New, they are going back to the maker and not put back up for sale, right? Same with one day of wear.
If anybody comments they could be sold at the Sample Sale if unworn, then Viberg and BC should be offering you the difference in cost between Sample Sale price, and New price, if they are too stubborn to replace.

I would have no problem charging it back. All CC companies, and PayPal will side with you that your boots are not the matched pair they were sold to you as.

Good luck, and don’t be afraid to stand up for yourself. Viberg and BC are certainly watching their own bottom line, follow their example.

ShootThePier

Reaction score
It looks like it took a day of wear to show the boots are breaking in unevenly.
The taller boot is curling under where your calf rests on it. The other boot shows no pressure at all. Over time, that can physically affect you.

liquidjelly

Reaction score
I didn’t read all the responses, but:

Sometimes you can’t find problems until you wear a shoe or boot like you normally would. I think mismatched height and eyelets may fall into that category. You’re feet, legs, and entire body can feel something different than normal, after one day of wear.

BC probably sent you directly to Viberg, because they already knew how Viberg would handle it, and wanted you to hear it from the horse’s mouth. Sorta chicken-****.

Sad to see that Viberg still turns a blind eye when there are easily apparent issues.

Mismatched boots should be a 100% acceptable return, new or worn for a day. They are MISMATCHED! New, they are going back to the maker and not put back up for sale, right? Same with one day of wear.
If anybody comments they could be sold at the Sample Sale if unworn, then Viberg and BC should be offering you the difference in cost between Sample Sale price, and New price, if they are too stubborn to replace.

I would have no problem charging it back. All CC companies, and PayPal will side with you that your boots are not the matched pair they were sold to you as.

Good luck, and don’t be afraid to stand up for yourself. Viberg and BC are certainly watching their own bottom line, follow their example.

Your post makes a lot of sense to me, and thanks for taking time to comment. When I inspected them initially, I didn't see anything glaringly obvious, and I had the exact scenario that you described; after one day of wearing them, I knew immediately that something didn't feel right on the right shoe. For reference, I have two other boots in the same size on the same 2030 last and from owning those two, I knew what to expect in terms of fit and comfort. When I wear the right boot of this mismatched pair, it's difficult to lace it correctly and it doesn't quite hug my ankle like it's supposed to.

I was surprised that Brooklyn didn't go to bat for me immediately, and even more surprised to hear this from Viberg:

"Thanks for reaching out. I’m sorry to hear about the boots. It looks like the eyelets are slightly crooked due to the lasting process. With stitchdown construction, the boots are hand lasted, and therefore pulled by hand over the last, which can lead to variation in the height of the upper. In most instances, because of this, the boots are likely to be slightly different heights. Unlike with a welted boot, where the upper is lasted by a machine, stitchdown can vary to a degree depending on how much and how hard the upper is pulled. This is also why the eyelets are uneven, as it looks like they are punched evenly, but when the upper is stretched unevenly, that can change. Your example is quite apparent, but unfortunately, we can’t take them back as it is against our policy to take boots back that were purchased from our retailers. If you’re still unhappy with the boots, you can reach out to Brooklyn Clothing and see if they can help you out. There isn’t really any way to change the boots or eyelets, though. I hope that helps. If you have any further questions, don’t hesitate to contact us."

I've sent an email to BCC - I'm just waiting to hear back at this point. I'll keep you all updated.

Jmccle2

Reaction score
Your post makes a lot of sense to me, and thanks for taking time to comment. When I inspected them initially, I didn't see anything glaringly obvious, and I had the exact scenario that you described; after one day of wearing them, I knew immediately that something didn't feel right on the right shoe. For reference, I have two other boots in the same size on the same 2030 last and from owning those two, I knew what to expect in terms of fit and comfort. When I wear the right boot of this mismatched pair, it's difficult to lace it correctly and it doesn't quite hug my ankle like it's supposed to.

I was surprised that Brooklyn didn't go to bat for me immediately, and even more surprised to hear this from Viberg:

"Thanks for reaching out. I’m sorry to hear about the boots. It looks like the eyelets are slightly crooked due to the lasting process. With stitchdown construction, the boots are hand lasted, and therefore pulled by hand over the last, which can lead to variation in the height of the upper. In most instances, because of this, the boots are likely to be slightly different heights. Unlike with a welted boot, where the upper is lasted by a machine, stitchdown can vary to a degree depending on how much and how hard the upper is pulled. This is also why the eyelets are uneven, as it looks like they are punched evenly, but when the upper is stretched unevenly, that can change. Your example is quite apparent, but unfortunately, we can’t take them back as it is against our policy to take boots back that were purchased from our retailers. If you’re still unhappy with the boots, you can reach out to Brooklyn Clothing and see if they can help you out. There isn’t really any way to change the boots or eyelets, though. I hope that helps. If you have any further questions, don’t hesitate to contact us."

I've sent an email to BCC - I'm just waiting to hear back at this point. I'll keep you all updated.

Good luck.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads