• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cole87

Reaction score
Well that's just it. A half size up on SD is too big for me. I have a narrow heel and the wider E width of Viberg is already a bit big. I am able to make it work by lacing up accordingly on my size. Going up means I'm swimming in them, even with thick socks.

I'm trying to figure out if it was just the one pair I had and maybe the tightness of the guidi leather. I'm waiting for a follow up from Drew about this. I know some guys can go between half sizes with different lasts or whatever, but in my experience I am not comfortable unless I'm in my proper size.
Ahh, I see. I really think type of leather makes the most difference, so I'd bet some GYW makeups in 10.5 would fit you and some wouldn't. It's probably a gamble the same way it would be for me with size 10 because I like a snug fit. Some leathers will be too tight almost guaranteed if you don't have much leeway. I do think it's safest to just size up, though, in instances where you're not sure and need to be (like preordering shell) because there's ways to fill out a little extra space and there's not really any way to give you space you don't have. That's my thought process at least.

bkotsko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
GYW in shell fit bigger on me than Stitchdown in shell.
So, it really may depend.
I would always recommend the same size.
They are made on the same lasts.
The inconsistent variable is likely how tightly the shell is pulled onto the lasts.

Last edited:

rydenfan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
GYW in shell fit bigger on me than Stitchdown in shell.
So, it really may depend.
I would always recommend the same size.
They are made on the same lasts.
The inconsistent variable is likely how tightly the shell is pulled onto the lasts.

yup. Suede always seems a bit more snug to me for this reason

anjunafan

Reaction score
my experience with SD/GYW.
Viberg said they were built on the same last, but my foot barely fit in the GYW (kangaroo). YMMV, but i suspect these were mislabled, but in the end i had to eat the shipping return fees because they said they were sized correctly. Both 8.5s SD in waxed flesh and aged bark, GYW in kangaroo

smartbrother

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I remember when you posted this. Those shoes are clearly not the same size, and I don't understand why Viberg would say differently.

Aviv

Reaction score
Yea that is really messed up. I wish I had taken pictures like that when I had the GYW horsehide. They were similarly smaller in a striking way. I assume Viberg wants to avoid even more confusion about their sizing so they're trying to sweep this under the rug. I got the same response this week that I should size exactly the same regardless of construction method. It's tough because they must do most of their "fashion" business online, but now with the different lasts and construction methods maybe they need to offer free exchange shipping or something.

anjunafan

Reaction score
yeah eating that shipping back to canada with insurance is rough. Not sure what I'll do on future orders size wise.

CanadaCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yeah eating that shipping back to canada with insurance is rough. Not sure what I'll do on future orders size wise.

lol8[1].gif
this always make me laugh. You guys have no idea how good you have it when it comes to e-commerce... Try living here and paying shipping up + returns & duty/tax on everything....

And I'm not picking on you (please don't take offense), but thank your lucky stars you have a ton of great shops in the US, generous import minimums, and only have to pay shipping to Canada once in a blue moon on 700 boots.

But I do sympathize if its due to that GYW fitting smaller posted above, which it clearly is, and appears to be a mistake on bergs end. Thats certainly unfortunate.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tweedy bag