• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

rutabaga

Reaction score

Any idea on how to soften the back part of my Vibergs. Got a new pair and they bite the back of my ankle like hell. Haven't come across a boot that has such a strong back stiffner! Thanks for your help.

If you have room in the toe area you can try a small heel pad in the deepest part of the stiff heel cup to cut off some of the shape. If this doesn't give you a good fit you're just out of luck. Nothing is going to break in or soften that hard cup and there's scant leather covering it to mold to your heel. Because of the shape of the heel cup, no 2040 or 110 will fit me, but there is one 2030 size with the heel pad adjustment that works out. Not all styles and brands of boots/shoes will fit all people.

lifeinabox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

My experiences with USPS have generally been terrible...with the exception of the time I returned a pair of boots to Viberg...
I was so unfamiliar with the customs process I called USPS and some person walked me through the forms etc to make sure I didn't get hit with customs fees.

How did it amount to $120? Did you have to pay the fees yourself to even get the boots back? I think my shipping was around $20 to send them back.
Last time I sent boots back Priority Express and it cost me $70. This time I tried regular Priority as it was only $50, but it got rejected. Went back to Express for the second try and now I'm out $120 total.

limonade

Reaction score
Last time I sent boots back Priority Express and it cost me $70. This time I tried regular Priority as it was only $50, but it got rejected. Went back to Express for the second try and now I'm out $120 total.
Oof....

$120 plus the original $25 shipping that was already a sunk cost...

I'm with the other guys, I think you'd be able to sell them on the secondary market for about the same you'd net after paying again to have them shipped to Canada unfortunately....

Sorry about that...will make me pause before buying from Canada again...

Akeem

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Oof....

I'm with the other guys, I think you'd be able to sell them on the secondary market for about the same you'd net after paying again to have them shipped to Canada unfortunately....

secondary market isn't so great these days for Vibergs. or boots in general. i see lots of cool stuff sitting on grailed and ebay that would've sold instantly 2 years ago.

lifeinabox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oof....

Why you gotta kick a brother when he's down with accurate accounting?
tounge.gif

I'll probably just wear the crap out of them. As Akeem mentioned, the secondary market sucks right now.

CanadaCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Ouch... I sent Carmina boots from Canada to Los Angeles for $35 CAD. Insured, was a regular service, maybe 6-9 days? USPS rates INTL are pretty steep.

od1017

Reaction score
Any idea on how to soften the back part of my Vibergs. Got a new pair and they bite the back of my ankle like hell. Haven't come across a boot that has such a strong back stiffner! Thanks for your help.

I think that is the biggest problem with Vibergs, especially the newer ones that have the thicker leather lining (as supposed to say the CXL stich down boots which are not lined). The inner part of the ankle gets a lot of friction. I just use my hands to bend and soften those areas as much as I can before every wear. After the initial break in period, the pain goes away.

jodaghoda

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your prompt responses. I have a pair of CXL Vibergs and they had no break in and didn't cause any blisters. These new ones are of a very soft leather and hence the super rigid back quarter. I hope I can break them in. Already have blisters and band-aid on both my feet!

limonade

Reaction score
Why you gotta kick a brother when he's down with accurate accounting?
tounge.gif

I'll probably just wear the crap out of them. As Akeem mentioned, the secondary market sucks right now.

Haha...working at an accounting firm will rub off on anyone after a while...

Yea, I'm holding off on trying to unload some size 7's myself until the fall. Finally settled on 7.5 as my best bet size, so it sounds like you may find quite a few interested parties if the 1035 doesnt work out for you.
I'd offer to trade you a pair of midnight Kudus, but they just happen to also be on the 1035. I haven't been able to find anything that I haven't second guessed in the mirror when trying to pair them. Maybe just not my style but they look so good when not on the foot...

rydenfan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Never had pain or a break-in period on any of my Vibergs...

only pair I have an issue with is the natty CXL derby we did on SF a few years ago. I have worn them 20+ times and the right shoes still rips my ankle open every time. I can't figure out why the leather hasn't loosened up at all

metranger8694

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have an ideahow the last width compares between a J. Crew Kenton boot and the Viberg 2030 last?

I really like the Snuff Suede Kentons I have. They mimic an Alden Indy boot, sort of.

But as I do not own any 2030's, I was hoping that maybe someone here owns a J. Crew Kenton and a 2030 pair and could comment. I have the feeling that the 2030's are slightly narrower.

Many thanks.

Akeem

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Does anyone have an ideahow the last width compares between a J. Crew Kenton boot and the Viberg 2030 last?

I really like the Snuff Suede Kentons I have. They mimic an Alden Indy boot, sort of.

But as I do not own any 2030's, I was hoping that maybe someone here owns a J. Crew Kenton and a 2030 pair and could comment. I have the feeling that the 2030's are slightly narrower.

Many thanks.

2030 7.5
indy 7.5D
Kenton 8D

Kenton is most narrow of the 3. I need a thin sock to wear while I use thicker hikers with the others.

metranger8694

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
2030 7.5
indy 7.5D
Kenton 8D

Kenton is most narrow of the 3. I need a thin sock to wear while I use thicker hikers with the others.
Really? I did not expect to hear that.

I may go for a 2030 sometime. I need to find an online store with free returns, if there is such a place. Just in case of sizing.

Thanks!!!

jlchau

Reaction score
Really? I did not expect to hear that.

I may go for a 2030 sometime. I need to find an online store with free returns, if there is such a place. Just in case of sizing.

Thanks!!!

Mr. Porter? Or Notre using paypal return refund policy.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads